Z28 waxed the 03...

doubleblack

Established Member
Race was from 80. I downshifted into 3rd which put me over 4k. Bam, we both punch it, the LS1 jumps nicely and slowly starts walking me. I was quickly at the top of 3rd and he didn't gain anymore. I shifted into 4th and slowly started pulling BUT , the guy may have already shut down due to cars up ahead, so I'm not sure if it was a "false" pulling.

I slowed down and waited for him, rolled down the window and said, "DAMN! That's pretty fast, what's it got?"
He said, "Gears! What year is that?"
I said, "03" and gave him a thumbs up.

We down shifted again w/ the same outcome except for me missing 4th so he just left me...

WOW! I lost to an LS1 w/ gears, should I believe him?

I thought it was kinda cool getting my ass kicked by a strong LS1 but GEEZ, my first encounter w/ an LS1 and I had to pick a quick one. Let alone this was my first run ever w/ my 03...the record books not looking too great, guess I'll have to do a little fixing...

NastyWS6

Established Member
Nice death, Some of them are pretty fast. But I can confidently say he has more than just gears to be able to pull you.

doubleblack

Established Member
Originally posted by NastyWS6
Nice death, Some of them are pretty fast. But I can confidently say he has more than just gears to be able to pull you.

Nasty, what do you think the bare minimum would be to pull a stock 03?

raptorman02

Established Member
His gears would make more of a difference when going slower than that anyway so he was stretching the truth. I have run 10+ stock or minor bolton LS1's at the track and they especially get hauled in on the big end. In the 1000' my speed and et is anywhere from 9.7-9.9. The fastest without NO2 was a guy who runs his car every weekend, it is a formula so its lighter and he had drag radials in the rear, skinnys up front, exhaust, filter, all the minors bolt ons. The best I have seem him run is a 10.5 @98. I have so many videos on my camers of these races I just need to figure out how to get them over to the computer. Oh yea in the 1/4 they were barely dipping in the 12's and that was only a few (with work). The only one faster than me was a built sprayed ET running LT1 camaro. He ran a 11.6 but still his Speed was only 115 where mine was 11.77 @ 118.

I would bet that guy had a little something extra and has been waiting to use it on an 03. But damn those cars look sweet, especially a WS6 they look like they are hauling ass sitting still.

OCMike

Established Member
San Fransisko, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I can't imagine "gears" alone pulling you (although you did mention missing a shift on the 2nd run). I suspect he may have had either heads and a mild cam or you got sprayed. I usually motion for the other guy to pull over after a race so that we can talk poopie about our cars (and do some NATO inspections for weapons of mass destruction).

NastyWS6

Established Member
Originally posted by doubleblack
Nasty, what do you think the bare minimum would be to pull a stock 03?

4.10 gears, Intake and exhaust, plus a good driver. That would be close for a "BONE STOCK" 03. It would definitely have to be lightly modded to take one down with equally good drivers.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Wow...sounds like it was still a good race. Good run! :beer: Always nice to run with cool people. You both lined up...it was fair...end of race you gave each other your props. That's the way it should be.

1Yellow03

Established Member
Nice death! I think you got sprayed! Most LT1's and LS1's seem
to put there cars in park when I run them. Mods or no Mods. I think spraying could get you. But I am runing a pully and chip setup!

03CobraBro

Established Member
Thats what I was about ready to ask... These head/cammed LS1's, whats the word on them hanging with a pulley/chip terminator on DR's?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Thats what I was about ready to ask... These head/cammed LS1's, whats the word on them hanging with a pulley/chip terminator on DR's?

The word is they won't be hanging, they'll be walkin. You're talkin about a car that's got at least the same amount of power with a lot less weight. Their just nasty. and for whatever reason they respond to the spray like 4v's respond to blowers.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Sounds frustrating... Are those concidered light mods? What are the odds of running into one of those machines.

Last edited:

ArcticLS1

He may have had a shot of nitrous. LS1s respond WELL to the spray. I can vouch for it with mine. I was able to out muscle an 03 cobra with chip, pully, exhaust, TB, ect by 3 cars from 50-120.. Sometimes you will never know though.

I have friends with LS1s running low 12s at 113ish with just bolt ons, no nitrous, no motor work, or forced induction. Just basicially full exhaust, Nittos, stall converter, gears, Lid-bellow-TB-MAF, and free mods..

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Are those concidered light mods?
I would consider anything you can do by yourself with general tools (without opening the motor or installing a power adder) "light mods". For me that rules out: headers, stall converter/tranny work, cams, heads, nitrous, turbos, superchargers, etc. It would include: intake, pulleys, rear-end gears, suspension, chips, shifter, tires, and the like.

YMMV

03CobraBro

Established Member
Well I probably wont go any further than pulley, chip and 555R's. Im just glad were making guys spend alittle bit more money than the average vehicle to put us down.

Mcteague

Banned
An LS1 needs nitrous and tires or at least a cam (plus bolt-ons) to beat a pulley/chip 03 but that's not the case against a stocker. I walked a stock 03 in my 02 SS with just a pulley, TB and Predator performance tune. The lid, cold air hood and cat-back were stock so I don't consider them mods.

sukkoi19

Established Member
I raced an 03 Cobra vert from a stop to about 115 and he pulled me by about 2 cars. First he said he was stock, then he says oh I got a CAI, then its well I got a catback. Then I was telling him about my Mustangs exhuast and hes like oh yeah Ive got an O/R X- pipe so who knows he was mostly stock I guess. Point was my Z-28 is bone stock and I didnt get to badly destroyed so I figure a couple of minor bolt-ons would even it out with a stock 03 coupe.

The H/C LS1 cars Ive seen seem to run around mid to low 11s on motor, I dont think I have ever seen one on spray. Course those #s are off guys sigs, so I guess I didnt really see them run.

Trader

Established Member
If you are stock a bolt on M6 with gears will walk you. Not much but it will walk you. All i have is bolt ons in my WS6 and it is about 6/10ths quicker in the 1/4 than the cobra. The ls1 swwet spot is third too.

Users who are viewing this thread