Z28 SS Race

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Raced a chipped, 2000-something SS Z28 this weekend. No chance for the Z. Pulled him every time. I don't think he expected to win, he probably just wanted to see what an 03 Cobra would do and open up his car for a little bit.

On one run, I left it in third when he took off in second, just to see if I could catch him. He grabbed a car length and a half from the get go. I did pass him, no problem. Third gear in the Cobra owns third gear in the LS1. Once he went into third it was over for him. I was already up in the powerband in third, and I passed him just after going into fourth gear.

From a 20 MPH roll in second gear, I put around 3-4 carlengths on it by 100 MPH. We did that a few times, same result each time.

Both cars had two people in them. One Ford guy, one Chevy guy in each. Lots of fun.

Next on the list is a C5 Vette. Too many old men driving them around here to find someone who wants to go.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
He must have lid and filter to be running 13 flat. I've seen them run 13.1-13.5 bone stock. Unless reaction was the cause of all those lengths you should be running about 12.4-12.5. That would be almost a second better than any stock 03 Cobra I have seen.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
He must have lid and filter to be running 13 flat. I've seen them run 13.1-13.5 bone stock. Unless reaction was the cause of all those lengths you should be running about 12.4-12.5. That would be almost a second better than any stock 03 Cobra I have seen.

He did have some type of home made ram air setup. Which was probably working pretty good at those speeds. Plenty of 03's are running deep into the 12's stock. It's all in the 60' launch. We went from a roll each time, so that eliminated the launch. Sometimes he'd get a little jump, sometimes I would, but it always ended up with multiple car lengths between us. :shrug:

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
Good run! On roll races ET doesn't mean too much, but trap speed does.
My car is a bit quicker than the speed suggests due to a good launch.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Good kill. Coming from a 2000 GT, I am amazed at how easy I can pull a SS or Z28. And those are some powerful cars!

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
He did have some type of home made ram air setup. Which was probably working pretty good at those speeds. Plenty of 03's are running deep into the 12's stock. It's all in the 60' launch. We went from a roll each time, so that eliminated the launch. Sometimes he'd get a little jump, sometimes I would, but it always ended up with multiple car lengths between us. :shrug:

And some modded ones (x pipe, bassani, cai, dr's, pulley) at my track are running high 12's. Only one with a warranty and he runs 13.2 @ 107 as his best with an average of 3 being 13.3 @ 106.5 and lost to a 2002 ss while running his best. Low 12's stock :rollseyes maybe a few. But then that would mean there are a few Zo6's in the 11's stock. A few have claimed 13.6 bone stock with the same car as mine (93 Z28) I don't believe them either. Why? Because I have yet to see it. I believe people need to get a better grasp on the irs before the 12's begin to show.

I'm not doubting your kill as you have near 60-70 more hp and weigh possibly 200 less. The amount of cars you said should put you way down in the 12's unless reaction was a factor.

Again don't want to steal thread from you NICE KILL! I Just don't believe everything I read.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Rearpl8tsinsite
Deep into the twelves is 12.5s-12.7's. Meaning, not a 12.999. There are plenty of guys who've put 03's to those times. There are videos of it on this site.

If anything, my car weighs more 200 lbs more, not less. :shrug:

I didn't measure the car lengths with a tape measure, it was a quick glance in the side mirror as I was getting on the brakes. It could have been 2, or 4 hell, I don't really care. All I know is he kept getting further and further back when we were on it.

I know these 03 Cobras bit you LT1/LS1 guys square in the ass. Sucks to have to swap heads and go to agressive cams just to keep up with the competition huh? Just ask any 5.0 owner. They know all about that, once the LT1 hit the street, the 5.0 didn't stand a chance with stock heads and cam against a lightly modded LT1. Oh how times change.

I salute you for not pulling out the FBody "Yea but what if the SS was s/c'ed" :rolleyes: line. :thumbsup:

03cobratech

Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
And some modded ones (x pipe, bassani, cai, dr's, pulley) at my track are running high 12's. Only one with a warranty and he runs 13.2 @ 107 as his best with an average of 3 being 13.3 @ 106.5 and lost to a 2002 ss while running his best. Low 12's stock :rollseyes maybe a few. But then that would mean there are a few Zo6's in the 11's stock. A few have claimed 13.6 bone stock with the same car as mine (93 Z28) I don't believe them either. Why? Because I have yet to see it. I believe people need to get a better grasp on the irs before the 12's begin to show.

I'm not doubting your kill as you have near 60-70 more hp and weigh possibly 200 less. The amount of cars you said should put you way down in the 12's unless reaction was a factor.

Again don't want to steal thread from you NICE KILL! I Just don't believe everything I read.

You do understand the difference between trap speed and ET correct?? If your track is at sealevel than you havent yet seen a good driver in a 03 cobra make a pass... As far as the SS kills, that totally on par with my experiences with my buddys 98SS 6spd that runs 13.1 at 108... I raced him from a second gear roll where we left even and I just walked away.... Then he asked for the jump which i had no problem with, we went from two third gear rolls after giving him the jump i managed to put 3-4 cars on him to about 125.... I was happy with the results....:beer:

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread