Z06 w/ cam (video)

JNY XXX

Hey guys.

I'm a former 03 Cobra owner, and recently purchased a 04 Z06. Stock, the Z06 dynoed 365rwhp/350rwtq. A few days ago, I had a cam, headers, and an x-pipe installed, and we made a brief vid. I thought I'd post it up, since, being a member here, I know (1) you guys like the domestics and (2) you enjoy the chance to poke fun at Z06 owners. :rolling:

I haven't had a chance to dyno the car since the mods were done; we just street tuned it quickly to make it drivable for the weekend. I'm hoping for in the area of 425-435rwhp with a good tune.

The video also featues some racing footage that didn't make the cut for our DVD that we're compiling that'll feature the racing scene here in Columbus. So, it's not really much. For what it's worth, the car outrunning everyone is a 2000 Z28 w/ bolt-ons and spray. The cars that get "beat" (as they aren't really "races") are a 5.0 notchback with bolt-ons and a later-model Cobra with a built engine (that's designed for spray, but he hasn't hooked up the spray)

http://www.dieseldigital.net/videos/welcome2005.mpg

FYI: The cam is an X1 series from MTI. Specs include 112 lobe separation and lift of .591(intake) and .571 (exhaust).

1936 chevy

Established Member
Sounds bad A@@!! :rockon: :rockon:
So i have to ask what car do you like better the Cobra or the Z06 and why did you sell the Cobra. :rockon:

JADITO

Crazy Mofo
Established Member
dude , that sounded wicked
you should film a startup , i love how it sounds, like its about to die , and just comes back to life

heres a vid of another z06 , ive watched this clip over a thousand times , and i still get goosebumps , serisouly! sounds like a dragtser

SLP Loudmouths on 2004 Z06 with X1 Cam from MTI please right click save as

theres another vid of that car somewhere , but cant find it

EDIT !!
LOL just found it by fluke , here it goes
2004 z06 mti x1 cam
please right click save as

Last edited:

Gdubb

current beer in fridge
Established Member
JADITO said:
dude , that sounded wicked
you should film a startup , i love how it sounds, like its about to shutoff

heres a vid of another z06 , ive watched this clip over a thousand times , and i still get goosebumps , serisouly! sounds like a dragtser

SLP Loudmouths on 2004 Z06 with X1 Cam from MTI please right click save as

theres another vid of that car somewhere , but cant find it

EDIT !!
LOL just found it by fluke , here it goes
2004 z06 mti x1 cam
please right click save as

:eek: I just creamed my pants

z06matt

I 1 Racing
Established Member
Very nice!! I will be getting a cam soon...:rolling: What headers do you have and are those the stock Ti mufflers?
Besure to let me know what you dyno... if maybe you could remember to send me a PM or something! :beer:
Matt

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
IMO, not many motors sound better than those Z06's with H/C work done. Very scary sounding and boy do they scream! :bowdown:

JNY XXX

1936 chevy said:
Sounds bad A@@!! :rockon: :rockon:
So i have to ask what car do you like better the Cobra or the Z06 and why did you sell the Cobra. :rockon:

I sold the Cobra because I had maxed out on what I could do performance-wise without spending a bunch of money to take it to the next level (e.g., a single turbo) and to do it right (i.e., build the engine, etc.).

IMO, the Z06 is so much more drivable than the Cobra. You don't need gorilla quadraceps to engage the clutch on the Cobra, it's so much easier to fly through the gears with the stock Z06 shifter as opposed to the stock Cobra shifter, and the handling of the Z06 is much, much better.

I really miss all of the torque of the Cobra though. It so much more of a beastly car - mash the throttle, and you're getting ripped into the back of the seat. The Cobra is certainly more "muscly" (and I'm sure that's not a word) than the Z06. The powerband of the Z06 (as it sits right now) is much smoother, and I enjoy how much it starts to pull on the top-end. Also, I'm amazed at learning first hand all about power-to-weight ratio and how that translates into performance. The Cobra (and I had just a coupe) is very heavy; the Z06 is, and certainly feels, much lighter.

The mod-for-money potential definitely weighs heavily in favor of the Cobra. With a $1000, you can get a 03/04 Cobra into that 470rwhp range and make it into a highway monster. For the same amount of money, I could get, maybe, a full exhaust for the Z06 and pick up, what, 15rwhp? :p There's really not much of a comparison.

I guess it just comes down to preference. Both cars are what they are, and they are great at it. :beer:

Z06Vette said:
Very nice!! I will be getting a cam soon...:rolling: What headers do you have and are those the stock Ti mufflers?
Besure to let me know what you dyno... if maybe you could remember to send me a PM or something! :beer:
Matt

Those are TPIS headers. Yup, the exhaust is the stock titanium. I'll keep you updated on the dyno results. Spray goes on it this week, so I'll put it up on the dyno soon after. :)

z06matt

I 1 Racing
Established Member
Venomss said:
Those are TPIS headers. Yup, the exhaust is the stock titanium. I'll keep you updated on the dyno results. Spray goes on it this week, so I'll put it up on the dyno soon after. :)
Cool, Ive got SuperMax Long tube headers, high flow cats and Xpipe with Borla stingers. I plan on getting the G5x3 cam... not sure if spray will be put on the car or not. But yeah besure to keep me updated on the dyno's. :D

Last edited:

lilbuddy1587

Banned
Venomss said:
Hey guys.

I'm a former 03 Cobra owner, and recently purchased a 04 Z06. Stock, the Z06 dynoed 365rwhp/350rwtq. A few days ago, I had a cam, headers, and an x-pipe installed, and we made a brief vid. I thought I'd post it up, since, being a member here, I know (1) you guys like the domestics and (2) you enjoy the chance to poke fun at Z06 owners. :rolling:

I haven't had a chance to dyno the car since the mods were done; we just street tuned it quickly to make it drivable for the weekend. I'm hoping for in the area of 425-435rwhp with a good tune.

The video also featues some racing footage that didn't make the cut for our DVD that we're compiling that'll feature the racing scene here in Columbus. So, it's not really much. For what it's worth, the car outrunning everyone is a 2000 Z28 w/ bolt-ons and spray. The cars that get "beat" (as they aren't really "races") are a 5.0 notchback with bolt-ons and a later-model Cobra with a built engine (that's designed for spray, but he hasn't hooked up the spray)

http://www.dieseldigital.net/videos/welcome2005.mpg

FYI: The cam is an X1 series from MTI. Specs include 112 lobe separation and lift of .591(intake) and .571 (exhaust).

Car sounds great man! Hate to burst ur bubble but u wont hit 425-435 with that cam. You're looking at 410 at the very most... :pop:

JNY XXX

lilbuddy1587 said:
Car sounds great man! Hate to burst ur bubble but u wont hit 425-435 with that cam. You're looking at 410 at the very most... :pop:

That's why I said "hoping for." We can always hope, right? :D Though, I think you're about right - 410-420 would be a fair expectation.

Htown05

Established Member
Thing is, with the lightweight and aerodynamics and gearing of the Z, you don't need much power to propel it into the 11's (some have gone 11's stock)

With the nitrous it will be a beast on the highway also. Keep us updated on the spray. I know a Z owner who made 494rwhp and 565rwtq with just a 100 wet shot and GHL exhaust. It was a TNT kit and actually put down 125rwhp on the 100 shot. Good luck, sounds real mean.

Users who are viewing this thread