YSI keeps throwing belts

SlowPony97

Established Member
I am hoping someone here might have had a similar issue. My car is eating belts without seeing boost under normal driving. Shifting around 3k. I have bought a laser alignment tool and all pulleys are spot on. Fabbed up a tensioner to sit on the belt where I thought the belt may have been tossing from the alternator to the PS however that did still not help. Otherwise it's 8 rib conversion, Innovators west 18 % OD pulley, Thump racing tensioner 76mm, Vortech 2.65 pulley. Feel free to jump in with suggestions and I can add pictures if necessary. Hoping to fix it and drive to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks for Mustang week.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm not sure how close your routing is to the 01, but I was having the same issue with my T trim. Mine was the ribbed pulley on the passenger side above the a/c. I don't know if you have that pulley. But mine needed to be spaced away from the timing cover.

SlowPony97

Established Member
I'm sorry I forgot to mention I have a 99 front cover. I respaced all pulleys, had the alternator machined to sit a rib further back (8 rib pulley will not sit any closer to the casing so that was my only option) yesterday and drove it easy today shifting at about 3500 about for 15 miles today so far withough issue.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn you are spinning the shit out of the ysi with that pulley combo.. I wonder if you're having bracket flex and that is what's throwing belts?? If you have a laser alignment tool it shouldn't be doing that. Maybe the wrong size belt?

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Check your water pump. With the 18% overdrive crank it's only going to shorten its life. Electric water pump is a must with any overdrive crank and centri setup.

SlowPony97

Established Member
Damn you are spinning the shit out of the ysi with that pulley combo.. I wonder if you're having bracket flex and that is what's throwing belts?? If you have a laser alignment tool it shouldn't be doing that. Maybe the wrong size belt?

Thought the same about the bracket flex so I 'modified' a head bolt to back against the blower bracket just incase. Also made brackets for the alternator to brace it. The belt I am running is 115.5 , belt sizes are very limited when I was looking for 8 rib at that length. Thankfully I am friends with a manager of a parts store and he defects belts out but it is getting old changing them so frequently.

Check your water pump. With the 18% overdrive crank it's only going to shorten its life. Electric water pump is a must with any overdrive crank and centri setup.

The setup probably has less than 3k on it but I will look into the electric water pump. I wish they made smooth pulleys with lips on either side.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I thought it's required to run a electric pump with the 18% as it rubs?

Only one style rubs, and the style that does you can easily just machine the rear "lip" of the pulley smaller and it's fine. My buddy had that EXACT setup, minus the vortech pulley he had a 2.6 rr. Also 8-rib, ysi, 18% o/d, stock water pump, thumprrr tensioner, etc etc. Sorry this will be no help but he went thru the same issues. only his was usually ok driving around it was wot it would shread, but every once in a while it would come apart for no reason like yours is doing. He went thru probably 10-15 belts in 5k miles and said to hell with it and turbo'd his car.

MOTOWN M

Established Member
I'm sorry I forgot to mention I have a 99 front cover. I respaced all pulleys, had the alternator machined to sit a rib further back (8 rib pulley will not sit any closer to the casing so that was my only option) yesterday and drove it easy today shifting at about 3500 about for 15 miles today so far withough issue.

Your problem is the fact that your alternator , and S/C pulleys are misaligned , you cannot be a rib off and expect to not eat belts, i have the same setup as you , except i have the 15% IW od balancer and my belt looks like the day i bought it!

i have an 8rib set up as well (same 96-99 timing cover) , and i did not have to machine the alternator to sit further back, i spaced the s/c bracket to align with the alternator, and the Vortech s/c bracket doesnt flex at all , like a procharger bracket.

SlowPony97

Established Member
Only one style rubs, and the style that does you can easily just machine the rear "lip" of the pulley smaller and it's fine. My buddy had that EXACT setup, minus the vortech pulley he had a 2.6 rr. Also 8-rib, ysi, 18% o/d, stock water pump, thumprrr tensioner, etc etc. Sorry this will be no help but he went thru the same issues. only his was usually ok driving around it was wot it would shread, but every once in a while it would come apart for no reason like yours is doing. He went thru probably 10-15 belts in 5k miles and said to hell with it and turbo'd his car.

Yeah I am about to that point of saying the hell with it and going turbo.

Your problem is the fact that your alternator , and S/C pulleys are misaligned , you cannot be a rib off and expect to not eat belts, i have the same setup as you , except i have the 15% IW od balancer and my belt looks like the day i bought it!

i have an 8rib set up as well (same 96-99 timing cover) , and i did not have to machine the alternator to sit further back, i spaced the s/c bracket to align with the alternator, and the Vortech s/c bracket doesnt flex at all , like a procharger bracket.

The alternator and SC pulley are aligned to the IW pulley. Would you be able to check to see if your alt. & sc pulleys align with your IW? On a side note how much boost are you making with your setup?

Check the innovators west balancer we have had the screws they use to assemble it come loose and cause issues.

I will surely check this. Thanks for the tip!

MOTOWN M

Established Member
Yes all my pulleys are in alignment , but it is critical that the S/C and alternator are perfectly aligned , or you are going to shred belts, can you post a pic of your setup?

Im running 21psi with a 2.9 Vortech pulley , but i just changed to a 3.0 A&A corvette pulley , basically a RR racing pulley , and im also

Installing a Kenne Bell Mamouth single blade T/B so we will see where i end up.

20140625_231509_zps80a930f9.jpg

20140625_231544_zpsf9ecec3e.jpg

SlowPony97

Established Member
Yes all my pulleys are in alignment , but it is critical that the S/C and alternator are perfectly aligned , or you are going to shred belts, can you post a pic of your setup?

Im running 21psi with a 2.9 Vortech pulley , but i just changed to a 3.0 A&A corvette pulley , basically a RR racing pulley , and im also

Installing a Kenne Bell Mamouth single blade T/B so we will see where i end up.

20140625_231509_zps80a930f9.jpg

20140625_231544_zpsf9ecec3e.jpg

So far everything has been okay with my car. About 150 miles on this belt!
picture.php

This is the one I made from the alternator to PS.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Users who are viewing this thread