Your Thoughts on Buying a Rebuilt Termi

bandit990

I came across a Convertible Terminator sitting at the dealership down the road from me a few days ago.

I thought great! I've always wanted one and Im ok financially so why don't I take the plunge and buy my dream car.

Its in immaculate condition I mean I searched for scratches and couldn't find a single one. The interior is just as clean which led me to believe this was too good to be true.

Turns out it is. The car was in a front end accident where the bumper was damaged along with the left rim and branded with a rebuilt title status. Like I said as far as I can tell it has been well taken care of up til the accident; smooth idle, no ticking, vert works perfect.

I am just wondering what the thoughts of those with more experience in these matters would be on buying the car.

What price would you pay for the car?
What would you inspect twice over and test on a rebuilt termi?

I plan on keeping this car forever as like I said it is my dream car but I still want to make sure I inspect anything that might cause me problems down the road.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
If you "have always wanted one" AND are "OK financially", then personally I would try to find one that has a clean title. Thats just me tough, and how I am. Back when I WAS shopping/looking for my terminator, I wouldnt/didnt even consider one with a bad title. As soon as I found out the title was bad, I was officially "on to the next".

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
^ Exactly

Last edited:

bandit990

Normally I am extremely weary of and try to stay away from Rebuilt titles.

However this car is extremely clean throughout which has me wondering if this could be a diamond in the rough that I might be able to purchase at a steal.

Have either of you ran into problems when dealing with rebuilt titles before? I am curious to know why you wouldn't purchase one besides the obvious resale issues.

StreetSnake

Established Member
I'd be leery as hell about what constitutes a rebuilt title as what you describe (front fender and rim certainly doesnt add up. Keep in mind if it looks to good to be true it probably is'nt. Just noticed your in Florida, What kind of dealer are You working with Ford, GM, Chrysler, If not one of the big 3 I'd be even more scared:beer:

03GT_to_03Cobra

Established Member
Stay away, there are too many low mileage cobras going for very good prices to pick up one that may look incredible on the outside, but may be hiding big problems on the inside. Unless you can tell if all of the damage was completely fixed, I would pass - Just looking at the outside, you can't tell that.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
Theres so many absolutely perfect Terminators for sale on this site. Don't settle just because this one is down the road from you.

Search this site, and/or autotrader. You'll find a even better one. There could be nothing wrong with the car at all, but just knowing that would bother me. Thats me though.

04SVTMystic

Powered By Cyberdyne
Established Member
Run far, run fast. Rebuilt cars, especially verts can hide all sorts of issues. Not worth it!

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
It has had frame damage to be branded a totaled car. A bumper cover and a rim dont total one of these cars. Once the frame (sub structure) is tweeked the car will never be right. Esp on a covertible car. Cars with rebuilt aka salvage titles are worth exactly 1/2 the value of a clean comparable car. Not to mention once you find all the things actually wrong after the purchase...selling it will be a problem. If they want more than 10k walk away.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
In my area it's very common for people to buy / sell / fix / drive rebuilt wrecks .

It may be different in your area , but in KY I think a vehicle is given a rebuilt title when the damage of the wreck meets a certain percentage of it's total value.

It's just a car , and anything can be fixed.. If the car was hit in the front I'd look for obvious defects underneath the car In that area .. Look at te radiator support , if it was ht very hard at all it will have been replaced ..

I've had clear title cars that have been wrecked and have had rebuilt title cars that were better cars .. You just need to look at every detail , If you're not comfortable take a body man with you .

"it'll never drive straight again , and run run " are a bit extreme but I'd be causious.

The biggest thing for me is resale value .. Keep in mind it's always going to have a rebuilt title so when it's time to let it go , it will sell for less as well .

Around here rebuilt 03/04s usually sell for 15-16ish

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Just make sure to check every detail possible. I personally am not affraid of a rebuilt title, guess because growing up my dad was a body man who specialized in rebuilding wrecked cars. As long as it was done correctly whats the issue?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
If it was just a daily driver to beat on, then go for it. If you want the car for the collectibilty and value, then find one with a clean title and low mileage.

Generally, vehicles with salvage, or rebuilt, titles have to get a pretty thorough inspection by the state police or some other againecy before they are allowed on the road. You could be better off with a salvage title vehicle than one that was in an accident (that may or may not show up on its history) and repaired by some hack shop!

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
So many cobras, why even consider? You have no idea what was damaged, fixed, will cause ghost rattles, frayed or burnt wires, electrical gremlins, etc.

03yellow

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a rebuilt car as long as you know what your doing. Here how it works. If the car runs and drives strait it's worth about half of what you would pay for the same car with a good title.
The car is worth anywhere from 6,000 to 8,500. If it drives strait.
I rather have a car with a bad title than one that has been hammered on; like mine! Lol

Last edited:

mustangsally1

Established Member
I agree, with what they said. If it has a bad title the car would never be the same. Now if it was a 5,000 mustang and then totalled it I could see, but do you know how much damage there had to have been to total a 20k car? Not only that but it I would have to know the body shop it was brought to, if it was brought to a rinky dink place and half assed that would be scary. If you watch cars with rebuilt titles they sit forever. I would take the car to a few body shops and have them stick it on their rack and have them look it over if you plan on buying it.

toomanytoys

Established Member
I bought a car with a rebuilt title. It was hit in the passenger side rear. The car had the quarter,bumper and trunk replaced. I cant find even the most littlest thing wrong with the car. It had been repaired about 2 years before I bought it. It has 32k miles on it and besides a filter and mufflers it is bone stock. The car runs great, drives straight and doesnt have even the slightest rattle. My GN however, had 1 owner and was well taken care of for its 75k miles and turned out to be the biggest basket case I have ever owned.

I say give it good look and go from there. If it was fixed right and the price is right why not?

Users who are viewing this thread