Your PC Protector

bam

Established Member
Anyone know how to get rid of this b.s.? Installed itself sometime in the last 20 minutes and it's becoming hard to do much of anything on the computer. I'm not about to download something to get rid of it, unless I absolutely have to.

bam

Established Member
Trying to install malwarebytes but it can't install fully, and isn't working.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I had something similar happen to me with a different POS. I finally downloaded and installed the paid version of AVG. Awesome program and have yet to have an issue with it. I took off all the other crap I was using.

bam

Established Member
Just did a system restore and that got rid of it, thank God.

I'll keep AVG filed away for *next time*

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Just did a system restore and that got rid of it, thank God.

I'll keep AVG filed away for *next time*

I used to recommend Norton or Mcafee along with spybot as really good protection. In the last 8 months or so I have become convinced that AVG (the paid version) beats them all hands down.

GodStang

Established Member
I used to recommend Norton or Mcafee along with spybot as really good protection. In the last 8 months or so I have become convinced that AVG (the paid version) beats them all hands down.

Norton has been crap since around 2006-2007 they take up so much background resources to run all the time. AVG is real nice tons better than Norton or Mcafee. I run AVG and Malwarebytes and they seem to do well for me so far. None will find everything so its always good to use two different types.

TechSavy

Established Member
Damn thing is a PITA, there is a .exe that will kill the process which will then allow you to run malwarebytes. Unfortunately the last one I had to deal with I ended up backing up all the important data and reformatting the whole damn thing.....stupid people bringing infected audio CDs from home....

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
try this
MBAM will not run - Malwarebytes Forum

or this, i did this last night to a family members PC
Keep getting malware. MBAM won't start. - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums

I went into the program folder renamed mbam.exe to svt.exe and it worked.
although i have seen when installing it will not put a mbam.exe in the malwarebytes folder. then just do a google search for mbam wont start or something like that and they will have you download just the .exe thats already been renamed and you put the exe in the program folder and run it and it worked. good luck

Furinox

Established Member
I fix several computers with the spyware/addware apps a month. If you got it on your computer it didnt just happen for no reason. You clicked something that caused it to install. Its funny seeing users get all defensive claiming that they didn't do anything to cause it.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I fix several computers with the spyware/addware apps a month. If you got it on your computer it didnt just happen for no reason. You clicked something that caused it to install. Its funny seeing users get all defensive claiming that they didn't do anything to cause it.

+1 Rootkit spyware is my #1 side job I get ungodly amounts of money to fix. This isn't aimed at OP or anyone in here but I don't use any programs and FYI anyone who needs to use a scanner to fix a virus or spyware knows NOTHING about computers.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member

They are getting smarter though, Some Malware comes in through Rouge scripts on pages.

hunterp

Established Member
Norton has been crap since around 2006-2007 they take up so much background resources to run all the time. AVG is real nice tons better than Norton or Mcafee. I run AVG and Malwarebytes and they seem to do well for me so far. None will find everything so its always good to use two different types.

That's simply not the case any more. Norton 2009 and now 2010 were completely rewritten. Took less than a minute to install on my machines and the resource footprint is very un-intrusive. One of the best anti-virus/firewall products out there now.

GodStang

Established Member
That's simply not the case any more. Norton 2009 and now 2010 were completely rewritten. Took less than a minute to install on my machines and the resource footprint is very un-intrusive. One of the best anti-virus/firewall products out there now.

Glad to hear that. I had free full norton and it was so bad and slow my machines down so much I ditched them in either 06 version or 07. May have to take a look at them again.

bam

Established Member
+1 Rootkit spyware is my #1 side job I get ungodly amounts of money to fix. This isn't aimed at OP or anyone in here but I don't use any programs and FYI anyone who needs to use a scanner to fix a virus or spyware knows NOTHING about computers.

You're right, I don't know anything about computers. How it started was actually while surfing the normal stuff.. I got some message about some program trying to access/change something on my computer and hit 'deny.' It came up a few more times and I continued to hit 'deny,' but one time I just clicked the X on the message box and that's when it started.
They are getting smarter though, Some Malware comes in through Rouge scripts on pages.

Don't know what this actually means, but if you look this thing up, the consensus is that it's a Rogue thing.

GodStang

Established Member

That is incorrect. I know a couple sites you can go to and not have to click on anything and you will get malware loaded on your computer. I have seen a link typed in. The page loads than the info bar at the bottom says downloading site and the page closes and you now have malware on your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread