Your Opinion on themostat.

Red10thcv

Established Member
How many of you are running a 180 degree themostat on a basic cai tune? If not needed, then how about with a 2.6 pulley? We have had 52 straight days of over 100 degree temperature. Just to know if it would really help?? Thanks for any and all feed-back.

svt1111

Established Member
yes, I would like to hear opinions on this topic too please.

mullens

Established Member
I'm runnng a 180. Someone on the forums (can't remember who) measured lower IAT2 temps with the lower stat, which will translate to more power. Remember you have to lower your fan temps or you won't see the benefit of the lower stat. You can only do that with a custom tuner (not Pro Cal).
Good luck.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
isn't stock T stat 185? i know thats what it was on my 03 cobra

Gojira

Established Member
Stock is 192. And presently nobody makes a 180 for the GT500's. If you are putting in a 180... the NAPA or Motorad they are not made for our cars. They are for 4.6 32 valve vehicles. The GT500's t-stat has a longer travel. If you put in one of the other t-stats when it opens it does not fully close of the bypass valve and you will be recirculating hot water.

I just sent Joel of Reische Performance a GT500 tstat housing as he is developing a stat for our cars.

Before you argue with me read this post, I am LSXKILLER. Installed 3.73 gears & 180 thermo, now low boost and not running cooler - Team Shelby

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Stock is 192. And presently nobody makes a 180 for the GT500's. If you are putting in a 180... the NAPA or Motorad they are not made for our cars. They are for 4.6 32 valve vehicles. The GT500's t-stat has a longer travel. If you put in one of the other t-stats when it opens it does not fully close of the bypass valve and you will be recirculating hot water.

I just sent Joel of Reische Performance a GT500 tstat housing as he is developing a stat for our cars.

Before you argue with me read this post, I am LSXKILLER. Installed 3.73 gears & 180 thermo, now low boost and not running cooler - Team Shelby

+1 Read this a couple weeks ago on TS, so I've held off on ordering one until someone makes the proper stat.

Mike

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member

Damn 192, I'll be ordering one from joel when the come out.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member

Do you have a picture of this modified t-stat with holes drilled in it.

mullens

Established Member

I'm not doubting you but I measured my NAPA TH-109 and the stocker side-by-side and they had identical travel and lower poppet diameter. It was rlhay2 that did some data logging with that stat on the GT500 forums and the results are pasted below:

More stock stats, ambient air temp about 62 degrees:
IAT1 : 82
IAT2 : 120
Average running temps were 200-204 degrees.

Today's air temp was around 60 degrees resulting in the following
IAT : 74
IAT : 110
Average running temps were 184-188 degrees.

In summation, under similar conditions:
20 degree cooler engine coolant temperature
8 degree drop in IAT1 temperature
12 degree drop in IAT2 temperature

Last edited:

Alloy Snake

Established Member
Need to boil the stock 192 and a napa and then measure and see if there are differences that matter.Looking at my F-150 the thermostat housing is much different and on the opposite side of the motor.Anybody tried calling Ford tech yet.If I had to say it would be that the GT-500 has a unique thermostat.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
The GT500 uses a unique t-stat, the Motorcraft RT1185... it is similar to an SOHC t-stat but it reaches farther into a larger diameter bypass.

That NAPA thermostat is made for the cold-side 4.6L DOHC setup. Externally the two t-stats/bypasses are of similar dimensions but if you observe both t-stats opening you will see that the bypass plate does not move on a 4.6L DOHC stat. The bypass coolant flows up through the stem and is controlled by the pellet coming down and blocking the holes in the stem.

I am working on a 170* t-stat for the GT500 and hopefully we'll be testing something within a week.

mullens

Established Member
The GT500 uses a unique t-stat, the Motorcraft RT1185... it is similar to an SOHC t-stat but it reaches farther into a larger diameter bypass.

That NAPA thermostat is made for the cold-side 4.6L DOHC setup. Externally the two t-stats/bypasses are of similar dimensions but if you observe both t-stats opening you will see that the bypass plate does not move on a 4.6L DOHC stat. The bypass coolant flows up through the stem and is controlled by the pellet coming down and blocking the holes in the stem.

I am working on a 170* t-stat for the GT500 and hopefully we'll be testing something within a week.
Great info keep us informed.

Carlos c

Established Member

Please hurry, it's HOT as Hell here in TX right now :pepper:

I bought the NAPA one from Lethal about a week ago and my temp actually go hotter. I took it off and put the stocker back on. I talked to Lethal about it but they said that's what everyone was using :shrug: and could not get a refund because it was installed......oh well I'll just wait until yours comes out.

sc2000gt

Established Member
t-stat

I read in 5.0 mustang and super fords about a 160 degree stat for gt500's that Pauls high performance sold. I called and ordered one and before I put it in I tested it in hot water. I tested it with a meat thermometer and compared it to a 190 degree stat that I laying around. It started to open later than the 190 stat. When I used the thermometer it would start to open around 195-200 degrees. I called them and they said you could not test them with hot water because they are a 2 stage stat and if I wanted I could send it back. They said they have installed alot of them in their shop and never had problems. I could not understand why you could not test them in water.I sent it back and it took them 2 months to refund me. I had to have my credit card company get my money back.Every time I would call they said they would refund my card but they didnt. They have terrible customer service. I would not reccomend buying from them.

jcthorne

Established Member

I look forward to seeing what you come up with and the test results. I for one will be ordering a $50 stat if it proves to help. I currently have the 180 and while it does maintain slightly cooler idle temps and putting around town temps, it performs much worse than stock on the track. Your info about it not closing the bypass would explain that behavior and show that a proper stat would work far better on the street if true. Please keep us informed on your new product. Yes its hot as H&)) her in Houston.

Red10thcv

Established Member
That's Funny.

I don't see why Lethal wouldn't atleast give you "credit" for your purchase?
How would anyone know that a themostat is or isn't going to help without trying it out first?
Just hope we give an imPROVED themostat by the Beginning of next summer.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Prototype Test Results In!!

I'm very pleased with the results and happy to announce that production of this thermostat is a go. They should be available from me or Lethal Performance within a week :banana:

FORD 5.4L DOHC IDLE ECT DATA
Test vehicle: 2007 Shelby GT500 w/OEM radiator (03 DSG Snake)
Control conditions: 5 min hot idle with A/C on low, cooling fan on
Logging performed: August 31, 2009

*Stock OEM thermostat (Motorcraft RT1185): Sustained ECT of 196° @ IAT 98° - hood open
*170° Performance Thermostat (Ford 5.4L DOHC): Sustained ECT of 182° @ IAT 160° - hood closed!!

Cruise Data & Notes
SCT XCAL fan settings: High 188°/Low 182° (fan shuts off at 176°)
Ambient temp: 78°
A/C: Off

*Non-stop freeway cruise with 3-5sec WOT bursts: Nominal ECT range 174-178°
*Saw highest ECT of 180° after a few back to back WOT bursts, lowest ECT was 172°
*Fan did not run at all on the freeway

My impressions/interpretation of the data:

In the 78° ambient temp it seems the ECT wants to settle around 174° as long as the car is moving at 50+ mph, which is a few degrees cooler than a 4.6L DOHC setup. Short WOT bursts resulted in no more than a 2° rise in ECT. Thermostat seems to flow to rad pretty well by 182° and the stock GT500 fan/radiator setup proved more than adequate, easily controlling temps with the low speed fan. I think this is testament that the GT500 cooling system is pretty well done. It's hot-side thermostat housing design is superior to the 4.6L DOHC and favors high flow to the radiator, maximizing the larger diaphragm t-stat, with the coolant forced to take a 180° turn around to go back into the bypass. I feel confident that the 182° low fan setting will keep ECT in a target range of 176-184° under most city driving conditions.

Last edited:

mobeydick

Established Member
The 160 degree t-stat I got from Lethal worked/s great. Huge Engine temp reduction. I put it lin last fall. Living in SE GA. Driving in 32 Degree weather you had better take a jacket, very little heat. During the summer the gauge moves about a 1/4 inch (7 oclock) compaired to 1/2 inch (5 oclock). I uses a hand held temp reader and the results are the same 30 degree lower temps.

Carlos c

Established Member
I don't see why Lethal wouldn't atleast give you "credit" for your purchase?
How would anyone know that a themostat is or isn't going to help without trying it out first?
Just hope we give an imPROVED themostat by the Beginning of next summer.

Yeah.........you win some, you lose some.

Glad Reische Performance will have one soon that is made for the GT500 ONLY and works! I'm ready to order.

Users who are viewing this thread