Your Car, Your Oil, And Your Warranty

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Your car, your oil, THE warranty. It spells it out for you in the owners manual. So you believe an engine should be replaced due to neglect, abuse, and using an oil that doesn't meet Ford specs but ignore the manufacturers recommendations because you "think" it's a superior oil?

How can you disagree? If you ignore what is told to you where is your arguement?

If an engine is not one or two but five quarts low, that means nobody checked the oil and it was also pushed very very hard.

So whether or not you agree is somewhat irrelevant. It's business. You can't just do whatever you want to a car while it's under warranty and cry fowl when you didn't do what you were told to from the beginning. You have a responsibility to Ford to do the right thing. Did he do the right thing? Obviously not.

I would also bet had the car been treated properly with this oil, he probably would not have ended up in that predicament. There is more to caring for an engine than using superior and or recommended oil.

It just winds up to another expensive life lesson. Play by the rules you will win the game. Write your own rules and you will be caught cheating.

You have a responsibility to use fluids that meet Fords spec and if unsure you research or ask. Crying that it's unfair is a bit unbelievable, really.

From what OP stated, Ford said the type of oil was the only factor for denying the warranty work.

Based on that, and the above information regarding Royal Purple and Fords standards, the "Friend" has a case against said dealership and should press the issue. GL. I'm glad I've never had to deal with Shitty Service departments.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
5 quarts low in a 6 quart system means you have no lubrication. I don't think the warranty covers stupidity.

ryan319

Established Member
5 quarts low in a 6 quart system means you have no lubrication. I don't think the warranty covers stupidity.

Seriously. Doesn't the owners manual say something about regularly checking the oil? It probably took a while for 5 quarts of oil evaporate. You'd think that motor would be noisy as heck too with 1 quart of oil in it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Seriously. Doesn't the owners manual say something about regularly checking the oil? It probably took a while for 5 quarts of oil evaporate. You'd think that motor would be noisy as heck too with 1 quart of oil in it.

Ignorance is bliss. My youngest brother doesn't know anything about cars. He went 3 years without changing the oil in his Escape and wondered why it suddenly quit running...permanently.

Snoopy49

Established Member
And people wonder why these cars didn't come from the factory with oil separators. If a guys not going to check his oil regularly, what are the chances he will drain his oil separator.
I would think that if he was burning oil at the described level, he would have been laying down smoke like a destroyer on battle maneuvers.

Dynobrat

Established Member
Haha. That's true.

Any engine can take serious abuse. You just have to make sure you do it right and be sure your maintenance is done. You can sit on youtube all day and watch videos of "idiots" slowly destroying their car and laughing or feeling good about it.

Exhaust clips and burnouts. People just seem to get carried away and have no use of good judgement.

Worth reading...

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog...gine-alive-the-importance-of-oil-temperature/

mavisky

Established Member
I would guess this was 95% the fact that it was 5 quarts low and 5% the fact that it didn't meet current specs. 5 quarts low probably did some work to the bearings throughout that motor.

Dynobrat

Established Member
and I bet it was 99.9% revving the hell out of it while the engine was cold that destroyed the rings. Oil doesn't start to work or do its job until it reaches a certain temperature. I want to say 265F but I don't remember the exact temperature. So even though it's circulating and lubricating it's definitely not as efficient when it's not hot.

That's why so many Hondas smoke. Guys don't know how to care for an engine.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would guess this was 95% the fact that it was 5 quarts low and 5% the fact that it didn't meet current specs. 5 quarts low probably did some work to the bearings throughout that motor.

How do you figure the oil did not meet spec? WSS-M2C945-A is the new spec.

I found the API-Licensed Motor Oil 5w20 from Royal Purple
5-Gal. Pail 05520
3x5-Qt. Case 53520
5-Qt. Bottle* 51520
6x1-Qt. Case 06520
1-Qt. Bottle* 01520

From the Royal Purple spec sheet
5 5W-20 and 5W-30 meets Chrysler MS-6395T, Ford WSS-M2C945-A

BigBlueOval

Established Member
4.6 3 valve cylinder walls/oil control rings only receive "splash" and windage lubrication, with an oil level that low very little oil makes it to the cylinder walls. The oil control ring begins to run dry, heat and friction do the rest. Usually the only time oil spec is questioned is if the customer has an ESP, then all previous maintenance records are examined. This thread is not about the oil spec as much as it is about neglect. There is more to this story that is not being told.

BigBlueOval

Established Member
and I bet it was 99.9% revving the hell out of it while the engine was cold that destroyed the rings. Oil doesn't start to work or do its job until it reaches a certain temperature. I want to say 265F but I don't remember the exact temperature. So even though it's circulating and lubricating it's definitely not as efficient when it's not hot.

That's why so many Hondas smoke. Guys don't know how to care for an engine.
Hondas are notorious for hard/cracked valve guide seals, puff,puff,puff...............;-)

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I do my own oil changes with MC 5-50. They would probably deny my warranty also.

Keep your receipts showing the oil you purchased and filter. That proves you bought the correct oil and filter. You install them yourself. At that point, it would be a far reach for them to make the claim you purchased the items and then didn't install them. FYI, I do the same.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread