You thought your 93 Cobra pulled down some coin!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
You get a lot more for your money with the R though, IMO. The rarity of the SAAC does nothing in my mind to justify the exorbitant price. I hate to think how much of a deranged, psychopathic (rich) Shelby fan you'd have to have been to have paid more than $25K for that thing off the showroom floor.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
You get a lot more for your money with the R though, IMO. The rarity of the SAAC does nothing in my mind to justify the exorbitant price. I hate to think how much of a deranged, psychopathic (rich) Shelby fan you'd have to have been to have paid more than $25K for that thing off the showroom floor.

Yes, SVT does tote some $$$ weight, and always will.

I also think that the "Shelby" name does not mean as much when attached to a car past about 1970. It just is not the same. There is not the following now, that there was when C.S. was building cars to do battle with the world. Maybe the new GT500 will be different in the future, but I do not see anything, Chrysler, Olds Aroura powered or anything else he has attached his name to bringing $$$ well above the other "specialty cars" of that same time period/production era. I also think things were different in the 60's, Shelby was a well known name among a very few, now his name is well known among many. It is a different world now, and "many" are in the specialty car business now, and have been for years.

R

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Consider also that in 1965 you could buy a new Mustang GT for just over $2400, and a Shelby GT350 for just over $4200. The GT was about 57% of the cost of the Shelby. In 1992, a Mustang GT cost just over $15,000, and this poser Shelby is what? $42,000?! Almost 200% more! Even for Shelby fans, that's just stupid. Let's put it in perspective: I realize they aren't selling for this, but MSRP on the '07 Shelby Mustang is only @$45,000. Give me a brake. Those 1992 Shelbys should have been laughed right back to Carols shop the day they hit the floor.

Last edited:

scootro

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I would buy one for 25k if I had the money. I think it would be a great collector's piece someday.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
scootro said:
I would buy one for 25k if I had the money. I think it would be a great collector's piece someday.

It better start climbing quick^^^^^^^. Currently it is quite a bit behind in comparision to its original price when comparing other "special built" cars from its time period and how they have faired from MSRP to now 15 years later, in relatively like condition. At 15 years old, it should have done better IMHO if the demand was actually there. I do think it is a cool Mustang, but @ $42K originally, I can see why not many were built. I think that the 1992, or should I say late 80's through 1992 Mustang buyer was looking to Saleen and others, for the e-ticket Mustangs, not Shelby. Some stayed with the Saleen, Roush and Steeda offerings after 1992, but the vast majority jumped to the Blue Oval offerings from SVT. It is very hard to beat the quality and engineering of factory cars.

R

Users who are viewing this thread