You Guys Wont Believe This!!!

whitelx

Established Member
As many of you know I had my car shipped up here from Texas and have been struggling getting it to pass. So I plug it up to our code reader at work and it says the coolant temp. sensor and the IAC is faulty. So $80 later I throw on the IAC and sensor. Runs like a champ now, no stalling on cold startups nothing. So Im feeling pretty darn confident that it will pass this time. Take it back up to the emissions station, pay my $15 and test it. Comes back that everything passed but my hydeocarbons are still excessive at idle. The limit for Washington is 220 and my car read a 222. :fm: Can you beieve that! I was hot. So I scanned it again and now its coming back that the bank 2 sensor is not reading correctly. I just cant believe I failed by 2 points. Anyway I had to rant, but hopefully Im on track to having a "emission friendly" vehicle soon. I sure hope so cause I miss driving her. :(
-whitelx

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I've seen that before. You sometimes have to read those cars a few times to extract everything. Not supposed to work that way but it happens. You got any spare parts by chance?

whitelx

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
I've seen that before. You sometimes have to read those cars a few times to extract everything. Not supposed to work that way but it happens. You got any spare parts by chance?
No not yet. I am looking for someone with either a cobra or GT-40 upper to swap with. So if you know anyone looking for a "Texas Turbo" GT-40 upper send them my way. The only way I can do it though is a swap+cash.
-whitelx

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I'll be going through the same thing here shortly. Got another 93. Pick it up this weekend. New project!

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
I'll be going through the same thing here shortly. Got another 93. Pick it up this weekend. New project!
what are the details and plans for her?
Greg

Joe5.0

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:

Hey thats awesome good to hear! id Love to see some more 5.0's!

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I did move. In Maple Valley now.
Picking the car up tomorrow. 93 LX 5.0. Calypso green again. I wanted a notch but this guy in Seattle didnt come clean about the tranny.
I'll go slow for mods at first. Got some stuff to do on the snake! ;-)
Still have to make a plan but another Vortech will go on unless I can find a decent turbo system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm diff putting a cam, Flowmasters and offroad exhaust again. Sounds way too sweet and the Cobra will never have that sound! The exterior will stay stock, pony rims and all. I'll get a wider tire out back :burnout: ;-) but it will still be a pony rim and drag style suspension. No solid plans yet really. Anything goes but the priority is still the NOS for the snake. Still need a BAP, and install my SFC's, MM CC plates, and all the IRS bushings.

whitelx

Established Member
Speaking of suspension, after I get all of this emissions crap taken care of I was thinking of swapping in some QA1 adj. with a set of C-springs. A guy back home ran that setup with a rear bar and no front and cut pretty good 60's. But that wont be until the first of the year. I will definitely be ready for next season to run some of you guys at the track. If all goes well I also see more cubic inches in my future. ;-)
-whitelx

Joe5.0

Established Member
Hey 04Mystic i remember back when i just got my 5.0, how tight and respsonsive the steering was with all the Suspension stuff, Now its seems to be kinda loose in the steering wheel, still very resposive, but seems to take and extra inch turn of the steering wheel.....any suggestions what it is?

C Weil

Established Member
Check the condition of the rag joint in the steering shaft. Got long tube headers?

Hows your alignment? A lot of the time, 'steering response' concerns end up being a poor alignment.

Joe5.0

Established Member
No idea what the "rag joint" is but i know what the steeing shaft is. No long tubes. Havent had alignment checked but i believe its free at Les Schwab so ill have that done.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Is your car following the grooves in the road? Allot of older 5.0's get all sorts of play in the steering shaft. If its really been driven you may have some issues in the tie rods. I've got the same thing in my new/old 93.

Joe5.0

Established Member
Yea it follows every groove in the road. And it has an after market Flaming river steering shaft. I need to get it checked out....cause i want that "tight" feel in the steering wheel back as apposed to loose/saggy.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
The rag joint is the connection from the steering shaft to the steering gear box.
Check it and tie rods. Take the front end off the ground and move the steering around with the tires and look for play in joints (ie, tie rods, etc.). That will give you a pretty clear idea where the slop is.

Users who are viewing this thread