yet another thread on front end/steering noise

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I'm pretty sure (ok 95%) that my front end sqeak/grinding noise is not from my steering rack bushings. I pulled the both steering rack bushings (they are aluminum offset bushings made by a local shop) out and greased the crap out of them then torqued the crap out of the nuts once they are back in. 30mins later, the sqeak is back. :mj:

its seems to be only happening after I've driven for a while (car is warmed up), and only audible only when the car is doing less then 25mph. when it happens, it sounds like something is loose in the front, with a grinding metal sound that occurs with road imperfections, braking, or turning.....

I also replaced the balljoints around oct last year...

any ideas?

Last edited:

01 SN8K

Established Member
I had a squeeking and a grinding noise on my car. The squeeking was an easy fix. My tierod on the front driver side wheel was squeeking alot. I replaced that and the squeeking was gone. I also replaced my rack and pinion bushings with FRPP ones. Now for the grinding, this was an expensive fix. For the longest time I couldn't figure out were it was coming from. I only heard the grinding when I took a right turn. What ended up happening was my endlinks on my rear swaybar broke causing my swaybar to grind down my driver side halfshaft which was the metal grinding noise that I heard. I ended up needing a new swaybar, endlinks, and halfshaft. I don't now if this is your problem or not but it may be a good place to look. If you catch this early you may get away with not having to get a new halfshaft.

Does your car feel a little loose when cornering? Mine didn't feel very tight which also could be an indication. Good luck finding your problem.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Thanks, I'll check my swaybars, but the grinding noise is coming from the front end, and the cornering feels pretty tight. I'll check the tierod again...

NXSVTCOBRA

i have the squeaking noise now n the whole vibration thing at 70mph n up, the dealer said its my whole rack, n its gonna be changed under warranty hopefully tomorrow

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
well... I got a grease gun with a needle and poked it though the tie rod boot and gave it a few good shots of grease.. so far so good. I'll post on the results in a few days

Users who are viewing this thread