yet another one bites the dust

bouncer18

Established Member
i know exactly how to do the swap...i SHOULD do the swap... and i probably will do the swap but i am lazy and rather pull my car and a GT into my shop and do it all at once rather then go to a junk yard and scrap for parts.. the problem is finding the donor right now...

I myself would basterize a Yenko (and i have seen it done before i might add) .. to me cars are built with purpose.. Cobras = Racing / Taurus = Family Sedan and i drive the car as it was meant to be drivin...

(ps my irc has GKN's / Sub Frame Bush / Springs / Brace / Poly Sway Bar Link Bushings.. )

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
bouncer18 said:
(ps my irc has GKN's / Sub Frame Bush / Springs / Brace / Poly Sway Bar Link Bushings.. )

Soemthing's not right here. You have all those mods, said you did not hop at all, and you've broke 3 halfshafts. What are your power mods and how much horsepower are you making?

P.S. I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
Why the **** are you idiots driving a COBRA (an IRS equiped car) at the drag strip and intending on it holding up? These are track cars, as in more than one ****ing turn. I am so damn sick and tired of you guys bashing the IRS and taking a more refined auto mobile and dumbing them down to a drag car. If you want a drag car, go get a 5.0. Don't destroy a limited edition Mustang Cobra because you want to go fast in a straight line.

Damnit you ****ers make me so damn mad.

Paul

Ill wipe my ass w/ your car on the road course also w/ my solid rear...your IRS isnt all its cracked up to be on the road course either..... :rollseyes

TnPaulMan

Banned
droptopsnake01 said:
Ill wipe my ass w/ your car on the road course also w/ my solid rear...your IRS isnt all its cracked up to be on the road course either..... :rollseyes

Stock for stock, the IRS is better. Modded for modded, the IRS is better. Modded solid for stock IRS, solid is better. But all you guys want to do is the easy thing. Fine go ahead and ruin the car. I don't give a shit.

Paul

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
Stock for stock, the IRS is better. Modded for modded, the IRS is better. Modded solid for stock IRS, solid is better. But all you guys want to do is the easy thing. Fine go ahead and ruin the car. I don't give a shit.

Paul
my car still looks like a cobra
it still sounds like a cobra
and it still rides like a cobra
and the vin still says its a cobra.

only way you could tell is through the wheels and from the exhaust.

it rides just as good as it did with the irs, hasn't broken, and hooks hard with no hop. Best mod i ever did.

i wouldn't say i ruined anything, especially since i can toss that pos back in there at any time if i had to.

blk96SVT

Established Member
TnPaulMan said:

Paul

What the heck flew up your butt. Getting pretty hostile aren't we

F-Body-Fear

Established Member
I too got tired of breaking IRS stuff, I don't think I'll be breaking the Moser 9" anytime soon. Though my T45 is trashed and there's a TKO-600 on order soon.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
How about everybody get over it and stop freaking bickering. Its YOUR car do WHATEVER makes YOU happy with YOUR car.

For phucks sake people.

Matt

Venomous281

Texas Bandit
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Anybody that's in this hobby to save money and try not to break stuff is in the wrong hobby.

Matt

This is so true. i have spent about $2500-3000 dollars or even more on my 1998 cobra and about $2500 on my 2001 from all the stuff i have broken and i never bitched i just saved more money up and rebuilt them. And now im about to spend about $3000 on my Z28 with all the stuff im going to put in it just to make it run again and faster, im sure im going to break it again too.

Last edited:

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
I like how he compares his car to a Yenko and says he hopes we wouldnt ruin it by modding it. Then says his car isnt stock. A solid rear swap is just another mod like adding a blower or getting built internals. You cant be mad because we dont like the same type of racing as you and because we dont choose to mod OUR cars the way you think we should. We mod them the way we want and that dosent make it any less of a COBRA. So relax :smmon: . Also just curious which you think would be more cost efficient to build up... a solid rear or an IRS.

Last edited:

TnPaulMan

Banned
Cobras_Rule said:
I like how he compares his car to a Yenko and says he hopes we wouldnt ruin it by modding it. Then says his car isnt stock. A solid rear swap is just another mod like adding a blower or getting built internals. You cant be mad because we dont like the same type of racing as you and because we dont choose to mod OUR cars the way you think we should. We mod them the way we want and that dosent make it any less of a COBRA. So relax :smmon: . Also just curious which you think would be more cost efficient to build up... a solid rear or an IRS.

If you already had the solid rear in there: The solid rear would be cheapest to build up properly. If you already have the IRS, it will be cheaper.

But you have to build it up properly from the get go. Level 5 halfshafts are the biggest expense, but Level 2s should be sufficient if you do all the delron or aluminum bushing replacement that is neccessary.

The other thing you guys are forgetting is that the solid axle is an axle hopping mother****er too. The true problem with these cars is the 4 link rear suspension. That geometry is the problem, not the parts that come in the car from the factory.

A panhard bar and torque arm correct the 4 link suspension and basically replaces it to a large degree. Well, the IRS does all that too, but it was set up incorrectly with soft rubber bushings that "soften" the ride. Well, they don't soften the ride, they make it worse. The IRS's spring rate is such that it is to allow firm placement of the wheel to the ground but also yield a smoother ride, a major plus of the design of an IRS. Stiffen up all the IRS parts, let the design of the geometry of it do the work, and eliminate the soft bushings in the IRS and you will have a great handling car.

Proof?

Go look at how much Griggs racing charges for the IRS modifications to the rear compared to if you have a GT and need all the PH and TA stuff. To me, that is the difference.

Paul

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I have given up on my stage 5 halfshafts, I wanted to pull the front tires on an IRS car to prove it could be done but I think I am gonna go liveaxle

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
If you already had the solid rear in there: The solid rear would be cheapest to build up properly. If you already have the IRS, it will be cheaper.

The other thing you guys are forgetting is that the solid axle is an axle hopping mother****er too. The true problem with these cars is the 4 link rear suspension. That geometry is the problem, not the parts that come in the car from the factory.

Well I did a swap with my friend so that cost me NOTHING. So I might as well have had it from the get go.

And when has a Solid Rear (other then the 05 GT rear) ever had wheel hop. So far I never have had any in my Cobra and I have run it down the track a few times. Also had a 02 GT before this and I couldnt even count how many times that went down the track. No wheel hop EVER.

(General Statement)If you have wheel hop on a pre 05 GT solid rear I think you have a problem and need to have your car looked at.

bouncer18

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
Soemthing's not right here. You have all those mods, said you did not hop at all, and you've broke 3 halfshafts. What are your power mods and how much horsepower are you making?

P.S. I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious.

The first axle i broke was wheel hop at the track
the second i broke on the street while racing .. nittos held, axle didnt
this one broke but it wasnt cause of power... took it apart and cleaned it today.. the GKN has 6 bearings that float on the actualy shaft cupler and have a retaining type ring.. it appears that part of the cup cracked (may have happen weeks ago who knows) on the outter edge.. so with time that bearing was jiggling around and ovaling out the retainer... it just so happen that a hard 1 - 2 shift jiggled it enough for the bearing to come out of its spot & all the others fell out too deaming it broken

mods are like i said, Xpipe Cat Back JLP CAI 300hp/301tq and nitrous kit w/ 100 shot pills in it... 1st axle i broke on the bottle, that's it (and my transmission but that doesnt count)

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:

step 1: go mod your IRS to where you think it is invincible, then add up receipts...

step 2: see how much it would cost to mod a solid axle (i'll save you some time, you can have a better handling solid axle for less money than a built up IRS)

then note: IRS will still break easier than the solid....and weigh 110 lbs more....

step 3: wash sand out....

Users who are viewing this thread