yet another one bites the dust

bouncer18

Established Member
2 stock axles and 1 GKN Stage III...

is there anything out there that can hold a descent amount of torque????

Last edited:

TnPaulMan

Banned
Why the **** are you idiots driving a COBRA (an IRS equiped car) at the drag strip and intending on it holding up? These are track cars, as in more than one ****ing turn. I am so damn sick and tired of you guys bashing the IRS and taking a more refined auto mobile and dumbing them down to a drag car. If you want a drag car, go get a 5.0. Don't destroy a limited edition Mustang Cobra because you want to go fast in a straight line.

Damnit you ****ers make me so damn mad.

Paul

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
Why the **** are you idiots driving a COBRA (an IRS equiped car) at the drag strip and intending on it holding up? These are track cars, as in more than one ****ing turn. I am so damn sick and tired of you guys bashing the IRS and taking a more refined auto mobile and dumbing them down to a drag car. If you want a drag car, go get a 5.0. Don't destroy a limited edition Mustang Cobra because you want to go fast in a straight line.

Paul
:pop:
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....I don't know if I would have put it thaaaat way, but I totally understand what you're saying.

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
TnPaulMan said:

Paul

TAKE A DAMN CHILL PILL BOY!!! Lose the attitude.
This isn't smackdown. :nono:

blk96SVT

Established Member
TnPaulMan said:

Paul

Who the heck is this guy and where did he come from!?!?!?!? :lol1: Its a damn car, stuff breaks, fix it with better parts. Drive the car.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:

Paul
HaHa!!!! Great point the IRS is useless at the track!!! onroad courses,street,and roll races their good!!!! :rockon:

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:

Paul

:beer: <---drink 5 of these, calm down, step back, and realize, it is car. Its a much further stretch to try and make a civic fast than it is to make a cobra a drag car, and far more people try to make civics fast.

NXSVTCOBRA

TnPaulMan said:

Paul
:burn: you KNOW it's coming :burn:

so you're saying those guys at the tracks running low 10's (some may be in the 9's) on the IRS shouldn't be at the track? you're also saying that the cobra was built just for the road race crew? maybe we should've gotten a MACH 1? oh damn thats right the cobra was the only car available with the 4v engine in 1999 and 2001.... maybe people who are into drag racing should sell our cars and buy 5.0's even though there is the newer technology of the 4v motor, i mean because the fox cars look sooooo much better than the 99/01 cobras...... the point im trying to get as is not everybody wants a road race car, but the majority of the people want a cobra, Ford didn't build the cobra and say "hey its a open track car, not made for drag racing at all" or "if you want to drag race dont degrade the cobra to a drag car" lets get real man, that wasn't the brightest post you made there......... :bored:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
yeah shit, look at those trans am cars from the 60s. shit they had poorly setup solid axles and they still handle great.

take a solid axle 99, add a torque arm, a panhard bar, some coilovers and it will handle with the best of them.

and Mr. High and mighty, its still a mustang. its a car with a big (well powerful) engine designed to go fast. adding an irs doesn't make it a road race car (especially one as crappy as the one they put in)

i broke a halfshaft on the street, NA.

NXSVTCOBRA

bouncer18 said:

try going the solid axle route, its cheap and simple, find a junkyard nearby you and purchase one, they usually sell for $250-$500 here with control arms, driveshaft, springs, shocks, and abs sensors..... run that for a while and gather parts to build a strong rear end (new posi unit, axles, control arms, girdle, etc.....)

thats the best advice i could give you since you're breaking so much axles....

what are you packing under the hood?

Wicked

Established Member
bouncer18 said:

How did you break it? What kind of power are you making?
Whats your setup?

Just curious.

I agree the IRS hasn't been my best friend at the drag strip, but on the street I haven't had many problems with it. I'll tell you one thing, it will hold a tight imperfect pavement corner wayyyyy better than the live axles would.
I also broke my axle on the street with DR's.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I"ve broken one on the street too. Get over it and move on. Anybody that's in this hobby to save money and try not to break stuff is in the wrong hobby.

Matt

Mach0ne351

Established Member
TnPaulMan said:

Paul

couldnt agree more :)

marek

bouncer18

Established Member
TnPaulMan said:

Paul

Hey there ***er.. who said i was at the drag strip?? Who said i was racing?
get your facts straight.... and why would i go buy a 5.0 for drag racing? Ill do whatever the damn hell i want with my cobra. Its a car..

I was driving normally actually (and honestly) and shifted 1 - 2 and it let go... after taking it apart it appears the bearings came out of there retainer.. im wondering (didnt pay attention when i removed it) if the axle nut loosened which allowed slack in the joints??? Now i got a GKN and a stock axle in the car lol... Under the hood there is nothing fancy.. its basically stock except for Xpipe / Cat Back / Kenne Brown Springs / JLP CAI / Bottle (havent used it since last summer) puts down 300hp/301 TQ on motor... 370 / 420 on 100 shot pills (zex)

Last edited:

TnPaulMan

Banned
bouncer18 said:
Hey there ***er.. who said i was at the drag strip?? Who said i was racing?
get your facts straight.... and why would i go buy a 5.0 for drag racing? Ill do whatever the damn hell i want with my cobra. Its a car..

So is a ****ing pinto. I am not saying you do nothing but drag the car, but still, I have a right to say what I said particularly since there is at least 2 threads a week concerning installing a solid axle into a Cobra.

Its not just a car, its a Cobra. You guys would not bastardize a 67' Yenko Camaro would you? Just because it wasn't fast enough? Hell no you wouldn't.

Yes, you may screw with a Cobra as much as you would like. It is fine by me, because a real Cobra from 99-04 has an IRS. Ford built them that way for a reason. I guess I am a purist, I like my Cobra's to be a Cobra after I drive them for a long ass time. No, they don't have to be factory stock, God knows mine is not.

As for my useful advice: Dump as much money into a solid axle swap, ph bar and a ta, you could have built up the IRS to handle as much and you would still have the great IRS ride, AND keep it a Cobra. As been noted before, the IRS has gone 9s before. Just do it right. My $.02.

Paul

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
TnPaulMan said:
I have a right to say what I said particularly since there is at least 2 threads a week concerning installing a solid axle into a Cobra.

Paul

You DO NOT have a right to say it the way you did. :nono:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
So is a ****ing pinto. I am not saying you do nothing but drag the car, but still, I have a right to say what I said particularly since there is at least 2 threads a week concerning installing a solid axle into a Cobra.

Its not just a car, its a Cobra. You guys would not bastardize a 67' Yenko Camaro would you? Just because it wasn't fast enough? Hell no you wouldn't.

Yes, you may screw with a Cobra as much as you would like. It is fine by me, because a real Cobra from 99-04 has an IRS. Ford built them that way for a reason. I guess I am a purist, I like my Cobra's to be a Cobra after I drive them for a long ass time. No, they don't have to be factory stock, God knows mine is not.

As for my useful advice: Dump as much money into a solid axle swap, ph bar and a ta, you could have built up the IRS to handle as much and you would still have the great IRS ride, AND keep it a Cobra. As been noted before, the IRS has gone 9s before. Just do it right. My $.02.

Paul

ahahaha
its a ****ing 99 cobra, not a yenko camaro. there are about 8,000 others like it out there. its not rare, its not a limited edition(unless you count limiting it to only road courses) and the irs is a total pos in stock form.

the 8.8 is cheap, easy to work on, proven, can handle well, and is a good deal lighter. parts are cheaper and much easer to replace. Not to mention you either make money or parts when you do a swap.

the irs would need.
shocks
springs
subframe bushings(have fun with that install)
a new diff
mjchip irs brace
new half shafts

your silky smooth ride would disappear and it would only be marginally better over bumps.

my weakly modded solid rear has no problems over bumps and around turns and all i have is some koni's, a set of LCA's and springs.

Users who are viewing this thread