Yet another oil thread...

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Cap does say 5W20 since its the one that Ford recommends for dd on avg driving on good weather (without going too hot nor cold). 5W30 is mostly for hard driving but not everyone drives hard all the time. 5W30 is not recommend on cold places though, oil is too thick to get warm fast and can/might cause a rod to spin. Again, depends a lot on weather. Here in Cali it doesnt get too hot nor cold, so there really is no reason for me to change so I only stick to 5W20. Again it depends on weather. Stick to Motorcraft or Mobile 1, highly recommend both.

Uh, 5w-20s and 5w-30s act exactly the same in the cold weather, hence they are both given a "5" weight.

The cap on your 01 may say 5w-20, but since he has a 99, his original did not.

Maybe if you meant a 0w-20 your statement would make sense, but as is, it doesn't.

However, thats also why GC is so good. Thin as a 0 weight when cold, but acts like a thick 30wt when its warm for all the hard driving you could do.

I would say that Red line synthetic oils are the cream of the crop.

Certainly your opinion, and there will never be a definitive winner, hence I said "one of the best"

Tarball

Established Member
Actually it's almost a 40 weight when warm, hence why I don't want to run something that heavy.

I see Ford Company saying 5w-20, and a single engineer saying 30. I would have expected that SVT would have factored in people running the 4v's harder when they stated what to use in the Cobra's

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Listen, you do what you want, but FOMOCO went to 20wt oil to save a few tenths of a MPG to satsify CAFE standards. They are not interested in the best interests of your motor and basically care only that it lasts until 36,001 miles.

Almost a 40wt...yeah, so what? You don't live in a frigid climate, and Id rather take an oil thats a bit thicker than one that thins down to a 20wt.

Feel free to do what you like, but if you're currently running GC and have no issues with it, why the hell would you want to switch?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Uh, 5w-20s and 5w-30s act exactly the same in the cold weather, hence they are both given a "5" weight.

Not true...

Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W-20 cSt @ 40°C (the W rating)- 45.9
Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W-30 cSt @ 40°C - 60.0
GC 0W-30 - 66.8

The higher the number the more viscous the oil.

And just for giggles:
Castrol Syntec 10W-30 cSt @ 40°C - 59.6

GC, despite being labeled as a 0W oil, is actually thicker at 40°C than either MC 5W-30 or 5W-20 and is much thicker than Castrol's own 10W-30. Marketing at its finest.

5W-20s tend to run notably thinner at 40°C than 5W-30s. There can be significant viscosity variations on the same grade oil from brand to brand despite what they are labeled. The only real way to tell is to look at the PDS.

Last edited:

01vert

Established Member
Not true...

Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W-20 cSt @ 40°C (the W rating)- 45.9
Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W-30 cSt @ 40°C - 60.0
GC 0W-30 - 66.8

The higher the number the more viscous the oil.

And just for giggles:
Castrol Syntec 10W-30 cSt @ 40°C - 59.6

GC, despite being labeled as a 0W oil, is actually thicker at 40°C than either MC 5W-30 or 5W-20 and is much thicker than Castrol's own 10W-30. Marketing at its finest.

5W-20s tend to run notably thinner at 40°C than 5W-30s. There can be significant viscosity variations on the same grade oil from brand to brand despite what they are labeled. The only real way to tell is to look at the PDS.

You realize that 40C would not be considered "cold" weather? 40C is about 100F

However, I agree with the above, Ford only went to 20w for the tiny fuel effiency improvement. 30W works if you are going to run it hard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread