Yet another gear thread...

omj

Established Member
My car currently has 4.10 gears in it. I am getting a 31 spline diff and axles from a 03 Cobra. Would I notice any real difference if I switched from these gears to 4.56? 4.88? I'm not really concerned about the streetability since I find my 4.10's to be no problem now. A few hundred more rpms aren't going to bother me.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
PLEASE NOT ANOTHER GEAR THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you answered your own question anyway.

omj

Established Member
Not really. I am wondering if the increase in performance will be noticable or not. I don't want to spend another $200 if I am not going to be much quicker.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
4.88s holy crap!!!! that would kick ass...well not on the highway but you get the point

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i remember talking to Bob Cosby and he said that when he tried 4.88's from 4.56's he noticed the difference, but the noise was a lot more noticeable, and since it was is DD, he went back to 4.56's...

omj

Established Member
What do you mean by louder? Gear whine? Will I have to use a notched crosspine with 4:56 and up?

If 4.56s produced more significant gear whine, you would be able to find some posts about that in the millions of gear threads out there. I have 4.56s. They produce a 'helicopter like' whisper as I hop on it over 3000rpm. Its subtle, louder than 4.10s. If you have an aftermarket exhaust...then this additional noise should not be a contributing factor in making this simple decision. You want more acceleration, then do the 4.56. But your fuel economy will take a dive since you will find yourself having a problem keeping your foot off the car. Its perfect for a DD. If I had a Viper spec T56, I would seriously consider stepping down to 4.88s.

This decision is simple. No blower in the near future, then 4.56s. Near future to me is the next 6 months and you actually are setting aside money to purchase it. Near futures is not, "Yea, I'm thinking about a blower in the future after I get the FR500 head kit and put in the coilovers and k member, blah blah blah."

omj

Established Member
Anyone one who buys a performance car and worries about mileage is a fool.
/flame on

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Don't worry about gettin flamed for that one dude

this is no honda forum!

omj said:
Anyone one who buys a performance car and worries about mileage is a fool.
/flame on

You'd probably have a different opinion if every month your Exxon bill was nearly $450 based on how much I drive.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
4.56 is the best all around performance gear for a street driven n/a 4.6 Cobra period if you're running the stock T45 or T3650 or 03-04 T56 or 00R T56. If you're running a T56 Viper-spec I'd go 4.88 or 5.13 since 6th gears is so highway friendly.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
You'd probably have a different opinion if every month your Exxon bill was nearly $450 based on how much I drive.

That's why I don't daily drive my Cobra. Of course my diesel truck don't get any better mileage, lol.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
01cobravortech said:

omj is right - buying a performance car and enjoying it is going to cost more than buying a camry, both in gas and insurance, so all he's saying is gas mileage shouldn't be a factor when you are building a car

gotta pay to play :burnout:

Eric

omj

Established Member
I daily drive a 200k mi 95 Ranger so I can enjoy my 99 Cobra and not worry about mileage. The cars weren't meant to get you to work and back. They were meant to beat on.

omj said:
The cars weren't meant to get you to work and back. They were meant to beat on.

I'm such an ass. I should have looked at the sticker more closely and realized that the 17city and 24hgwy didn't mean shit. Boy am I glad you joined this website. :bored:

omj

Established Member
Defensive much?
I never said or implied that you are an ass.
I'm just stating my opinion that if you have toys, you need a daily.
I never have to worry where I park my Ranger. I'll never notice the door dings, no one will ever slash my top and steal my shit, and it will always be there when I get back to it.
I can get in my Cobra, drop the top and beat on it without worrying about excessive mileage accumulation or stressing about fixing it for work if it breaks down.
Besides, I might cry if I had to get back in it after going caving (or any other outdoor activity for that matter) for 15hrs and being soaking wet and covered in mud.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Well, believe it or not, I "worried" about fuel mileage, and drove my car Cobra to work and back every day. I was very proud of my 4.56 geared 99 Cobra getting 26 mpg+ on the highway. Good mpg is an indicator of efficiency.

All that said, 4.56s are a probably a good choice. I could not keep the 4.88s quiet, and unless it is an almost pure track car, I think they're too much.

Best of luck with whatever you go with.

Users who are viewing this thread