Yet another Gear thread....Only for a blown 01 Cobra

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I can't decide between 3.73s or 3.90s to go with my Kenne Bell Blown 01

Traction is already a serious issue with the stock 3.27s mostly due to making 350RWTQ at 2700RPM

thanks

Mike

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
QU!CK said:
Check the other thread, there are some blown guys in there asking the same q.
(From what I hear you'd be better off with the 3.73's)

-J

Thats what i would think as well but i just want to get some other opinions

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
What kind of tire are you running? Maybe time to switch to a stickier/wider tire.

Getting shorter gears is only going to make your traction problem worse.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
I would also vote for gettin some big ole 305's or 315's on the rear end first, then slap on a set of 3.73s :)

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Snarf said:
I would also vote for gettin some big ole 305's or 315's on the rear end first, then slap on a set of 3.73s :)

this is all happening at the same time.

the gear install will go down the same day i put on new rubber and wheels
AFS 03 Cobra Chromies in 17x10.5 out back and 17.9 in front

Right now i have 255/45 nitto 555s on her

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Double 0 - most of the 99/01 guys that are supercharged aren't running KBs, so gear selection is somewhat different. If you have a solid axle (or even not), you might also ask in the sn95 Cobras forum since there are probably more 96-98 Cobras with KBs on them. Does a KB cobra really even need a steeper gear? We usually gear up because the modulars need to get into the higher RPMs to make power.

Why not put on the new wheels and tires and see where you stand before making a gear selection?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Double 0 - most of the 99/01 guys that are supercharged aren't running KBs, so gear selection is somewhat different. If you have a solid axle (or even not), you might also ask in the sn95 Cobras forum since there are probably more 96-98 Cobras with KBs on them. Does a KB cobra really even need a steeper gear? We usually gear up because the modulars need to get into the higher RPMs to make power.

Why not put on the new wheels and tires and see where you stand before making a gear selection?

In all honesty the order of Mods is like this

Install the Kenny Brown IRS brace and Bushings i just got
Upgrade the stock half shafts
Wheels and Tires
then add the gears

While it makes plenty of power down low it just seems that 3rd gear takes for ever. Don't get me wrong it pulls hard from tip in all the way the redline. it actually gets alittle scary above 4500rpm but i want alittle more.

My Dyno sheet looks almost identical to a 03/04 Cobra with minor bolt ons (not pullied)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread