Yet another exhaust question

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
I have been doing research on which x pipe is the best for me. I have decided to go with bassani but now I can't decide cat vs. no cat. I have recently heard that catless systems will sometimes make the car lose hp due to the lack of back pressure. I also know that emissions play some role in the decision as well as sound. Just how much louder are the o/r systems? What about interior cabin droning?

CobraG

Established Member
I had a catted Bassani on my 00GT with glass pac's (I know I know), it was pretty loud and it was defiantly quicker.
My friend has a 03 Mach I, with an o/r H and Ravin mufflers, that thing is loud, very loud, it smells like gas to though when he revs it. I didn't ride in it, just reved it so I'm not sure about the back pressure loss. Actually I'd think if you have chambered mufflers and an o/r h you would still have enough back pressure

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I run a upr X and a bassani street comp cat-back. Emissions isn't an issue for me, plus I love the sound of an off-road pipe. It was deff. worth it to go off-road IMHO. If you have to deal with emissions, and don't want to switch pipes, then go with a cat'd version. I wish I would have gone with a dr. gas off-road X, but I got a steal of a deal on two upr's.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Justntym said:
I have been doing research on which x pipe is the best for me. I have decided to go with bassani but now I can't decide cat vs. no cat. I have recently heard that catless systems will sometimes make the car lose hp due to the lack of back pressure. I also know that emissions play some role in the decision as well as sound. Just how much louder are the o/r systems? What about interior cabin droning?

An o/r x-pipe is going to be significantly louder than a catted-x. Some (younger) people seem to like that and some folks like it for a bit and then it start giving them headaches so that's gonna be up to you. I would recomend though that you get one of the modular x-pipes that has the removal cats that can be swapped in for test-pipes that essentially make the x-pipe o/r whenever you want. SLP catted x-pipes are made this way and I think the Bassani is also. Test pipes will coast you about $60 to get after the fact but if you get the o/r-x it'll cost you about $200 to get the cats after the fact.

As far as the hp issue goes w/ an o/r-x, what you are probably refering to is that an o/r-x will probably cost you a little bottom end torque but gain you some top end hp and vice versa w/ a catted-x.

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to go with the bassani x pipe w/ cats. I will install the system first w/o cats to get a feel of the sound inside the cabin. Thanks for all your help

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i think i'm going with catted x-pipe as well. my friend has a 2000 GT with o/r x pipe and flowmasters and it is probably one of the loudest, most obnoxious cars i have ever heard. too much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread