Yet Another Comparison Thread - Appoligies in Advance!

Ithnu

Established Member
Hi folks, its been well over a year since I posted...anyway...I'm looking at adding a 2nd Mustang to my garage (my 1st is a 1993 Cobra). I've counted out several already, 2 in person and 2 with some online digging. I haven't gotten to the point of a test drive yet. I know these are different cars but both can be a lot of fun. The car will only see a few thousand miles a year. A few track days with some friends, no real racing. Most miles will be country roads or just cruising. I plan to leave them mostly stock as they are now. But mild upgrades to make up the gap compared to the other is on the table; i.e. some more power (not a blower) for the Boss or suspension upgrades for the GT500.

I've narrowed it down to one of each. I'm going to see/drive them both this Sunday.

2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 *Performance Package

Thanks for the input!

And I forgot to add, they are withing a few thousand. I'm not worried about price difference.

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
Do you want to go fast in a straight line or in turns? That pretty much makes up your mind right there.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Drive both, imo it was an easy decision after a drive of each. The Boss is more nimble and toss able. But do drive both and make your own judgement. Power wise the two cars are nearly even in a straight line too. The GT500 is easier to make big power though. But I have seen many Bosses that make 700 RWHP with a blower kit, exhaust and supporting mods. If you deside on a Boss, mine will be up forsale soon if you have an interest as my GT350 will be in soon.

Last edited:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ithnu, i see you are in Connecticut, just make sure the tires are warmed up enough before you really get on these cars, seeing how cold it's been lately. And obviously look out for salt and sand before you go tossing it into an off ramp.

As others have said, straight line, get the 500. If you are looking for handling and tossing it around, get the Boss.

Tank5879

Established Member
OP, I am seriously considering selling my Boss, its Red, Recaro's Torsen, 15k miles always garaged, and never seen weather. I would be curious on how mine compares to what you are looking at as far as condition and price. I am in central MA.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
No actual road course time? GT500 all the way. It will still do great on a few HPDE's or open track days too.

Ithnu

Established Member
I drove the Boss, amazing sound! But the day ran late and it began to snow so I didn't get to drive the GT500. Not a huge reason but when I hear the engine rev the supercharger noise just doesn't do it for me. And I like the high rpm limit of the Boss. The engine revving high while feeling solid in a corner, I'm sold. So I'm going with the Boss.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Excellent! You will not be disappointed. They truly are special cars and so much fun to drive.

Ithnu

Established Member
So the guy had the track key and the dash lit up after a minute or so of driving but I didn't notice much of a difference. I thought maybe the torque kicked in early. Really hard to tell on a 5 mile test drive. Plus I was listening for mechanical issues and funky noises that would be a red flag for any used car sale.

Is the track key programming from Ford really obvious? I'm wondering if he went and got it unlocked. I'm actually ok if he didn't, means he really hasn't been driving it that hard.

dlaude

Established Member
Subscribing, as in a couple months I'll be selling my '98 Cobra for a Boss or 10-12 GT500 so this is very similar to a question I'd be asking. I've read similar stuff as to what IamRacerX said about straight line being pretty similar in stock form. If you get to drive the GT500 let us know, curious to hear from people who have driven both.

azazell64

Established Member
As I'm not in CA is there any way to get it back to the original track key?

This was a pre production track key that had a more agressive tune versus what they were forced to settle for due to CARB standards regardless of where you are located. Hopefully this clears it up.

Ithnu

Established Member
So here is the new set of wheels near the water. I can't wait to get pictures of the Boss with my 1993 Cobra that are not just in my garage!

Driving it around the engine did whatever it needed to enable the lopey idle. I think I didn't drive it long enough in the test drive for it to active. I saw the track key enabled but I'm not sure if I say the idle, I didn't realize they were 2 different alerts. That and I was in a test drive so I really didn't want to go near red-line. Now I did. The sound, the speed and the smile it put on my face.

I literally said "wholly shit" out loud to a car with no one else in it but me.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
SBY is a great looking color! Congrats on the new ride! I hope you enjoy your Boss as much as I enjoy mine! It's an amazingly fun car.

dlaude

Established Member
Subscribing, as in a couple months I'll be selling my '98 Cobra for a Boss or 10-12 GT500 so this is very similar to a question I'd be asking. I've read similar stuff as to what IamRacerX said about straight line being pretty similar in stock form. If you get to drive the GT500 let us know, curious to hear from people who have driven both.

So here is the new set of wheels near the water. I can't wait to get pictures of the Boss with my 1993 Cobra that are not just in my garage!

Driving it around the engine did whatever it needed to enable the lopey idle. I think I didn't drive it long enough in the test drive for it to active. I saw the track key enabled but I'm not sure if I say the idle, I didn't realize they were 2 different alerts. That and I was in a test drive so I really didn't want to go near red-line. Now I did. The sound, the speed and the smile it put on my face.

I literally said "wholly shit" out loud to a car with no one else in it but me.

View attachment 61745

haha, we were on the same timeframe! I picked up my Boss on Friday. My ONLY complaint about the purchase is that it didn't come with a track key. I'm debating getting one, but with the price of the key and then the price to program it I'm not sure it's worth it. It has 10k miles, bone stock (except for two cosmetic mods), has Recaros/Torsen and floor mats/car cover, and the owners kit (supposedly - the dealer I bought it from got it from another dealer so I hope the original dealer has it like they say they do). All in all, I love it. We made wise choices going with the Boss!

Skrapmetal

Established Member
haha, we were on the same timeframe! I picked up my Boss on Friday. My ONLY complaint about the purchase is that it didn't come with a track key. I'm debating getting one, but with the price of the key and then the price to program it I'm not sure it's worth it. It has 10k miles, bone stock (except for two cosmetic mods), has Recaros/Torsen and floor mats/car cover, and the owners kit (supposedly - the dealer I bought it from got it from another dealer so I hope the original dealer has it like they say they do). All in all, I love it. We made wise choices going with the Boss!

Picked mine up saturday ;)

No track key, but has the tune per Ford Racing so just need a new key. Torsen/recaro.

Users who are viewing this thread