Yet another 6r80 swap thread, but slightly different. Swapped guys please look!

highpsi615

Established Member
Hi! My question is I have a 2014 base GT. I have installed the premium cluster as well as the factory navigation (using a 2014 nav dash harness). I want to convert my manual trans car into a 6r80 car. I have someone willing to swap with me but they have a 2011 GT premium auto car. The mechanical end of it isn't too big of a deal but the programming is where I'm a bit lost. Does anyone know or think that his 2011 setup will work with the CAN system in my 14? I would have the car towed to Ford afterwards for any programming necessary but I don't know what to ask them to do. Info seems to be sparse as far as guides but it seems like a lot of people are doing this. I don't want to lose my LCD gauges with track pack apps or the nav that i put in due to an "older" PCM from the 2011. I could care less about select shift or the "updated" shifter from the 13+ cars but I have no idea if a new 2014 auto PCM and select shift assembly would be absolutely required for my car just for the fact that I heard the CAN system may have changed over the years. THANK YOU for any help you can provide!-Steve

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
I had to hunt for the same info. The MT82 donor can and should keep his PCM. You will have to source one from OEM. In the end, I just towed the car to a speed shop and let them handle it. 4 hours later, good to go. JBA Speed Shop in San Diego.

highpsi615

Established Member
Kevin, thanks for the response! Thats certainly interesting info. So I guess I need to buy a late 14 Auto PCM new from Ford then. I guess a 13+ shifter assembly as well. Does your car function as stock? I noticed in some of the other threads there are ABS light issues and incompatibility codes that haven't been figured out yet. Does the select shift work with any 11+ 6r80? From what I understand its a programming deal more so than actual changes to the trans itself. With the news about the PCM and shifter needing to be new it may be best if I pass on this 2011 swap and just acquire my pieces separately. The rare times I see pullout 6r80's though they always seem to be from 11-12 cars. That doest bother me age wise, but I do want the car to function as if it was stock equipped. Also, are you tuned? If so, how did that work out as far as rewriting everything for an auto car? Thanks again for any help!-Steve

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Kevin, thanks for the response! Thats certainly interesting info. So I guess I need to buy a late 14 Auto PCM new from Ford then. I guess a 13+ shifter assembly as well. Does your car function as stock? I noticed in some of the other threads there are ABS light issues and incompatibility codes that haven't been figured out yet. Does the select shift work with any 11+ 6r80? From what I understand its a programming deal more so than actual changes to the trans itself. With the news about the PCM and shifter needing to be new it may be best if I pass on this 2011 swap and just acquire my pieces separately. The rare times I see pullout 6r80's though they always seem to be from 11-12 cars. That doest bother me age wise, but I do want the car to function as if it was stock equipped. Also, are you tuned? If so, how did that work out as far as rewriting everything for an auto car? Thanks again for any help!-Steve

I was the donor car haha my advice to avoid as many issues as possible is to find a donor 6r80 that is the same year. I believe that will prevent incompatibility issues. And yes, even after a PCM swap, you can tune it. I really don't know too many details. Trust me, $400 to let a pro handle the computer/software side is well worth not having a headache lol I initially tried to tackle it myself to no avail. If you do want to do it yourself, familiarize with AsBuilt Data and get yourself a VCMII... actually now that I think about it, buying a VCMII is $400 bucks right there lol so it'd be easier to just take it to a speed shop.

After your swap, you may encounter PATS issues and your car will refuse to start. Any speed shop should be able to handle all of that for you. Have BOTH keys with you.

So if my advice wasn't clear enough, let a speed shop handle the software aspect haha.

My swap was between an early 12 and late 13 and I ran into quite a few issues. A dealership got rid of PATS and we could start it, BUT car ran in limp mode and would constantly die out. A dealership will charge $80 to correct PATS. Go to a speed shop hahaha

Best of luck man.

Kid Smitty

Established Member
I made the swap from to a 2011 6r80 in my 2013. I wanted to keep the shifter in the 11' because it's easier doing burnouts. Just start in first then shift up into 2, roll out and put in D before staging. Problem with that is I had to use the 2011 PCM. You end up with traction and abs lights on the dash constantly which I don't mind because I only track the car. Real headache was that the 2013 abs module didn't talk to the 2011 PCM. Had to switch to the 2011 abs module. Luckily we had one laying around. Bottom line, if you don't mind the newer shifter, stick to the same year.

Jack

highpsi615

Established Member
Kevin, thanks for the info. I have a Vcm II with IDS but I would still let the dealer do it since some functions absolutely have to be through Oasis. Good to hear that there isn't any weird issues that came up though! I greatly appreciate the input!

Jack, thats interesting to hear about the ABS module. From what Im gathering I would be best to use a new OEM Ford 2014 PCM and actually buy the select shift console assembly. The price is similar either way so no biggie. Ive also converted my car to the Premium LCD track apps cluster so I think if I used a prior PCM I may lose that. At the end of the day I would assume the actual trans itself and "hard parts" from any 11+ are the same and the 13-14 PCM will control the select shift junk (which I would never use), but would allow me to keep my LCD cluster and factory navigation retrofit as well. My car isn't a daily either and spends most of the fuel in its tank at the track as well. I'm kind of a stickler for OEM functionality whenever possible though. I don't trailer the car so its driven back and forth and the ABS is pretty important to me while its on the street. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread