Yes, another stupid "who would win" post.

Jarrett

Established Member
Alright guys, I had to be the one that loses confidence in his car but my best bud called me out last night. He wants to race me when I get home. He's got a 2002 Camaro SS SLP(with 345 horses-conservative rating too). I've got a 2001 Cobra with Bassani catted-x and cat-back. Does mine even stand a chance? I already know I can drive his car MUCH better than he can but I still think it might be a close call.

duece

Established Member
Should be close If you can drive better than him.I ran a ws6 trans am not stock sounding at all and hung bumper to bumper with gears I would have pulled him....

Jarrett

Established Member
What year T/A was it? In 2001 they changed the exhaust mainfolds, intake manifold, and possibly some other things. Also, how stock were you when you raced him? Same stuff as in your sig? The SLPs are still 3.52 geared right?

Last edited:

OrangeMachine

Established Member
I dunno man. With those mods it would be close. Even if he is an OK driver, those things pull pretty hard. You need gears and traction. You might be better off from a dig. If he's not that good he will bog or spin. How long has he had the car? Automatic or manual? It will be close.

duece

Established Member
not sure year new style I would say 01 or 02 and same mods in sig...he just pulled up in traffic and when it opened up he nailed it I had a passenger and he at best had a bumper on me plus the jump...Yeah I know I should have kept it at the track just kind of surprised me.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Established Member
His has the T-56. That bastard! I plan on having some 4.30s ordered to be waiting on me when I get back and maybe even a JLT CAI. But I just wanted to know where I'd stand supposing I left it the way it is now. Thanks a lot for the replies though.

NXSVTCOBRA

LOL, i dont get the races where you guys are from, here its "right here, right now, run what you brung"

but even if he's a decent driver you dont stand a chance realistically speaking, SS Camaro's are rockets, and if he has mods on his, all i could say is good luck

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
SS camaro will run with 03 cobras. My friend has a 01 LS1 (Same as the 02 SS but with out the SS suspension) once he hits 3rd gear you might as well head for the house. You will need a 100 shot to run with a LS1. Sorry but its the truth. If i see a LS1 i do not bother till i have some more work done. I mean i have beat him twice but that was cause he missed a gear or becuase he stalled lol.

wma8706

Established Member
"SS camaro will run with 03 cobras. My friend has a 01 LS1 (Same as the 02 SS but with out the SS suspension) once he hits 3rd gear you might as well head for the house. You will need a 100 shot to run with a LS1. Sorry but its the truth. If i see a LS1 i do not bother till i have some more work done." :bs: With equal drivers a stock ls1 is no where near a properly driven 03/04 cobra! Most LS-1 will run on par with the Mach-1. I've raced plenty of LS-1 when my cobra was stock and modded. Believe me....you should pull even if not faster in first gear provided you know how to drive your cobra. You should still be even in 2nd gear. 3rd gear.....well that's where he will start slowly walking but with your exhaust mod and providing he is bone stock should make this a drivers race. After a set of gears and tires.....TRUST ME......you will fear no stock LS-1.....even the c-5! Good-luck!

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
He has the power advantage plus you have IRS = wheelhop so you have to treat it gently.

If he flogs the car I think he will get you. If he doesn't, well then it will time to mod some more so it doesn't happen again!

OrangeMachine

Established Member
[/QUOTE] bs: With equal drivers a stock ls1 is no where near a properly driven 03/04 cobra! Most LS-1 will run on par with the Mach-1. I've raced plenty of LS-1 when my cobra was stock and modded. Believe me....you should pull even if not faster in first gear provided you know how to drive your cobra. You should still be even in 2nd gear. 3rd gear.....well that's where he will start slowly walking but with your exhaust mod and providing he is bone stock should make this a drivers race. After a set of gears and tires.....TRUST ME......you will fear no stock LS-1.....even the c-5! Good-luck![/QUOTE]

I hate to tell you man, but he can forget about hanging with a C5. Do you have any idea how much lighter those things are? Even with gears, it is not a done deal with a stock LS1. And how many stock LS1's are there around these days? I love my cobra and I wouldn't trade it for an LS1, but they are nothing to laugh at.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have had a LS1. I built it when i was in high school. Then i traded it for my Cobra and some cash. I have to say that if you think a cobra can hang with a c5 then you are smokin something. I have drove a my cobra stock and modded and my friends LS1 and my old LS1. Go drive one then come back when you know what you are talkin about please. they pull very very hard in 3rd gear. Are there any stock LS1's out there that will roll up and want to race?

Frogger

Established Member
I had a run with Trans AM when my car wa all stock. Then it was 279 on the back wheel. From 30mph roll, man i lost and it was ok maybe for a while but then i just could not keep up i dont know if his TA had somthing extra but his 345 was enought to make me feel stupid. Now i have some bolt on stuff and still sometimes i win sometimes i loose. It all depends what other people are driving and how much money they put into their cars.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
My Cobra said:
SS camaro will run with 03 cobras. My friend has a 01 LS1 (Same as the 02 SS but with out the SS suspension) once he hits 3rd gear you might as well head for the house. You will need a 100 shot to run with a LS1. Sorry but its the truth. If i see a LS1 i do not bother till i have some more work done. I mean i have beat him twice but that was cause he missed a gear or becuase he stalled lol.

:bs: 03-04 cobra's will work a new ls1. You most centaintly do not need a ****in 100 shot to hang with an ls1 in a new edge cobra...Bolt-ons and good driving is what it takes. I raced a 02 ws6 until about 100 mph..he couldnt pull on me until top of third, and then it was just a creep...we went through the traps with me still in front..my 13.3, his 13.4.. this was on street tires, jus texhasut and a K&N.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I went 13.3 witha crappy 2.16 60' with my 01 Cobra with just a Mid pipe and Catback. which is well within ls1 F-body territory. i say it will come down to driver if you go from a dig from a roll i think he'll walk ya slowly

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
i ran a ws6 awhile back. when i had o/r Xpipe,mufflers,Densecharger(MAF foward).and pulled him from a 50 roll. till about top of 3rd he would creep up a lil. the 03/04's are in a different league with the Camaro's. the Camaro's & Mach 1's would be on the same level. JARRETT- i saw you order the JLT CAI and some Gears(4.10's +) and you will get er done.

wma8706

Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
:bs: 03-04 cobra's will work a new ls1. You most centaintly do not need a ****in 100 shot to hang with an ls1 in a new edge cobra...Bolt-ons and good driving is what it takes. I raced a 02 ws6 until about 100 mph..he couldnt pull on me until top of third, and then it was just a creep...we went through the traps with me still in front..my 13.3, his 13.4.. this was on street tires, jus texhasut and a K&N.
My experiences when my car was mostly stock are exactly like your scenario.I fully agree with you....with bolt ons and nitrous would put the new edge cobra in bolt on Z06 or chip/pulley/exhaust 03/04 cobra territory. If you don't believe....check this link out....http://corvettekillstories.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3685& I fully respect the LS-1 but telling this guy that he has no chance is utterly ridiculous. Any 4v mustang when properly modded should hang with any LS-1. This subject has been beaten to death over and over again.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
wma8706 said:
My experiences when my car was mostly stock are exactly like your scenario.I fully agree with you....with bolt ons and nitrous would put the new edge cobra in bolt on Z06 or chip/pulley/exhaust 03/04 cobra territory. If you don't believe....check this link out....http://corvettekillstories.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3685& I fully respect the LS-1 but telling this guy that he has no chance is utterly ridiculous. Any 4v mustang when properly modded should hang with any LS-1. This subject has been beaten to death over and over again.

Very well said, You and I are on the same, and correct page brotha. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread