yes another intake question

mystickb1996

Established Member
So im bored and looking for the next mod to buy, so far done vary basics bama93r tune/cat deletes/magnaflow exhaust and ran a 12.2 @ 116. iv been really debating getting a carbon jlt intake but if there is no performance gains its basically for looks only
has anyone done my current mods(tune/cats -/axle back) then after that put a cold air intake on and actually felt a difference or thought it was money well spent?

and yes i have searched around and i have to say you could go nuts with all the contradicting opinions

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
It may gain you a few extra ponies, but most of the gains are the tune itself, which you already have.

I would say it's entirely up to you.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
So im bored and looking for the next mod to buy, so far done vary basics bama93r tune/cat deletes/magnaflow exhaust and ran a 12.2 @ 116. iv been really debating getting a carbon jlt intake but if there is no performance gains its basically for looks only
has anyone done my current mods(tune/cats -/axle back) then after that put a cold air intake on and actually felt a difference or thought it was money well spent?

and yes i have searched around and i have to say you could go nuts with all the contradicting opinions

JLT intakes have been taking a bashing lately, but I have been 100% happy with mine. I got a painted one and the quality is outstanding.

The way you went about your mod progression is a little unorthodox... most seem to do a cold air first and go from there, but I would definitely do one now. I know the stock air box flows well, and I'm not saying you will get crap load of power, but it will def help out a little.

mystickb1996

Established Member
thanks for the input, and reason i didnt get cold air first was all the mixed reviews on it, so i figured i would hold out and do the tune/exhaust first which has been great. i can say after 1 revision on the bama tune its perfect and runs vary strong.. for the money im thinking no2 is the route

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member

There are plenty of people that have the stock intake. Some have ported them to gain a little bit. But from what I've heard the stock intake is good for up to 500 hp. That's with the stock filter too, the K&N loses power.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i think money could be better spent else where, especially for the CF intake price...i mean for a little more dough you could get Kooks shorties or a driveshaft.

Voltwings

Established Member
It really wakes up the engine noise however, and will compliment your exhaust nicely. Not really performance, but something to consider.

Dan12GT

Established Member
You may get a couple ponies. This is why I decided to get an average intake like Airraid. It add some looks / noise factor to the engine and maybe a few ponies but didn't break the bank.

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
I have the JLT Carbon Fiber CAI. Got it at a REALLY good price and did not pass it up.

As far as power, I cant tell you, but then again...I did my JLT and Boss IM at the same time with my AED tune.

It looks really nice under the hood, and at WOT you can hear it very well.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I would only buy a CAI used, and at a good price. I picked up a CF JLT for $200. Had to get a couple of new fittings, but for $220 it was worth it to me.

New, however, not so much.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
This is my opinion on CAI that do not require a tune...

Take that same amount of money and instead of buying bling for your car, buy something for your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend whatever and you will get more out of that then that bling you stick to suck air and do nothing but raise the temperature of the air to your engine over the stock CAI.

scott_0

Established Member
cai are for looks pretty much, the stock air box just simply doesnt look as glamorous, Id spend the money elsewhere honestly........

Robb03

Established Member
Just came back to the forum after many years being mustangless. To make sure I understand, any CAI verus the stock air box produces little to no gain in horsepower?

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Just came back to the forum after many years being mustangless. To make sure I understand, any CAI verus the stock air box produces little to no gain in horsepower?

No... A CAI that does not require a tune is just for bling... The stock MAF is 85mm no tune CAI run a MAF of roughly 85 as well... Now, if you get into a CAI with anything different then a 85 a tune is required to calculate the new air flow rate of the MAF. If its larger your engine will run dangerously lean and if its smaller, never heard of one but your engine could run richer without proper tuning.

Now heres the kicker... just because the MAF is larger in size and has to be tuned to calculate the new air flow rate of the MAF... do all of the CAI's larger then stock of 85mm flow more air? and... is it colder, the same or hotter in temperature?
Thats the question.

Last edited:

mattaglover

2011 5.0
Established Member
I had the same mods you do right now prior to getting an intake. I got one a couple months ago and felt no gains. Im sure on a dyno it got a couple up but nothing worth the money. Use the money on something else.

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
It's up to you but I went jlt about 2 years ago when I first got my car and had a bad experience. I know have c&l which I like a lot better myself.

GT915

Established Member
I really like the way the Steeda CAI looks and would love to have one for that reason as well as for the sound it makes. Unfortunately I am convinced that the stocker flows well enough for my power level and I can't help but think it'll just increase IAT on hot summer days. It might gain something on a dyno with the hood up and a fan blowing on it, but on a hot day it probably will lose power. Those are my thoughts fwiw.

Users who are viewing this thread