Yes another help me with a clutch set up

02silver2v

Established Member
Well at 25K my clutch is pretty much smoked. I have been doing a lot of searching around for a nice clutch package that can be used for Daily Driving. I think that the DFX is going to be a little much to much clutch for me for daily driving. I was thinking about doing the DF series but have read some not so good reviews on it. So let me tell you my mods and see if you guys can come up with something. I am putting down 417/400 right now but do plan on doing a pully swap in the future to get to 475. The car is a daily driver and doesn't see any track time. I do like to drive aggresivley on the street though. So I was thinking about doing maybe a Mcleod clutch because I used to have one on my 99 and liked it. Do I need a new flywheel or can I resurface? Thanks a lot for any input you can offer.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You will likely want to resurface your flywheel so long as it is in good shape.

Since you've got a vert and are street duty, you may want to consider a steel flywheel. I'm running the Ram Billet steel unit (26#)(sfi approved) and love it. Also running Ram 98951 series clutch, which is a dual friction (hd organic/sintered metal) with Fiore quadrant and fw adj. w/MM pedal height adj. Action is very smooth, chatter free after 500mi. break in, cuts clean and grabs like mad.

Also might want to consider the Fidanza aluminum flywheel, which is also SFI approved, and offers a replaceable friction surface.

I've also had other friends run the Ram 'one up' HD organic with great success. VERY smooth.

Pedal effort is nominally increased, but certainly not killer at all.

I've also gotten mixed reviews of the DFX and dual friction setups by CenterForce. I'd say the DFX is probably a bit too agressive for you.

I've had some discussion of running the stock disc with a Ram or other aftermarket pressure plate.

Good luck.

02silver2v

Established Member
Thank you very much for your help. Do you know where I can purchase this set up? Also do you think I will be ok with the 10 spline stock or should I upgrade to the 26 spline?

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
At 475 and street use, you should be ok with the 10spline. However, if you want the piece of mind, now would be the time to do the 26sp. Its not hard to do and its cheap insurance if you decide to go with more power later.

I used the Liberty piece. www.libertygears.com

04torchred

Established Member
Subscribing I am in the same boat as you. Have been looking at the Spec Stage 2+ and 3+(this one will hold all I could throw at it) or the CFII pressure plate and LM disc. Not sure which way to go, but I am opting for the 26 spline input shaft do it right once

crizzut

Established Member
I've got the same dilemma. I'll have my new whipple soon and I've been looking at the CF 10 spline package from LFP. I don't think my car will ever see the track, and I rarely race from a dig on the street. Is LFPs package a good setup for me? Will the 10 spline be okay for that power since it's a DD and doesn't see the track? Also should I go with a steel or aluminum flywheel?
I don't want the 26 spline unless I definately need it. :shrug:

Last edited:

04torchred

Established Member
For the $240 it is I would install it and be done. All it will take is some good tq from the whipple and a clean powershift on DR or something and you could bust it. However you will more then likely be okay, but for peace of mind I am doing a 26 spline with just a pullied eaton because down the road it will have more power. I just don't like taking chances. Give Derek(Lthl Psi) a call and ask him about the CFII pressure plate and LM disc, he has been very helpful for me and this maybe a good setup for you if you never see the track.

02silver2v

Established Member
Well I think I decided what I am going to do. I will be doing a clutch from http://www.southlandclutch.com/ they are local to me and they have been around a long time. The shop I go to all the time highly reccomends them so I will be going with them. I am going to resurface my flywheel and throw in a 26 spline while I am at it. I will also do the LDC Cooling Mod becuase it is the perfect time. I hope this set up will be good but I have been told by numerous people it is a great way to go. The owner of the shop has it in his 69 Fastback Turbo so I know I am in good hands.

Users who are viewing this thread