Yellow speed limit signs

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
I was under the impression that yellow speed limit signs meant a "suggested speed". Not an actual speed limit. Such as on corners where there is a small "35" under them when the speed limit is 55 mph...

Is this not the case?

So when exiting a highway and there is a yellow 40mph sign, thats a suggestion, not an actual speed limit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

BTW this is for the state of Indiania

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
White is absolute, yellow is suggested(within reasonable limits). You could still potentially be stopped for unsafe speed for roadway conditions

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
Thanks, so if then there is no posted speed limit (highway exit ramp) is the speed limit the same as the last road you were on or the highest in the county?

txyaloo

Established Member
Thanks, so if then there is no posted speed limit (highway exit ramp) is the speed limit the same as the last road you were on or the highest in the county?

The exit ramp speed would be the same as the highway's speed. You would need to lower your speed, though, to match the speed on the access or feeder road that you are exiting to. In addition, the statutory speed limits in Kentucky are:

(a) Sixty-five (65) miles per hour on interstate highways and parkways;
(b) Fifty-five (55) miles per hour on all other state highways; and
(c) Thirty-five (35) miles per hour in a business or residential district.

Thus if the speed limit is 65 on the highway, you would need to lower your speed to at least 35 prior to leaving the exit ramp. It's possible the speed limit could be even lower on the access road.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
The exit ramp speed would be the same as the highway's speed. You would need to lower your speed, though, to match the speed on the access or feeder road that you are exiting to. In addition, the statutory speed limits in Kentucky are:

(a) Sixty-five (65) miles per hour on interstate highways and parkways;
(b) Fifty-five (55) miles per hour on all other state highways; and
(c) Thirty-five (35) miles per hour in a business or residential district.

Thus if the speed limit is 65 on the highway, you would need to lower your speed to at least 35 prior to leaving the exit ramp. It's possible the speed limit could be even lower on the access road.
Thank you, would you happen to have access to Indiana speed laws? That's where it happened

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I'd google Indiana speed limit laws. The yellow signs posted are generally the MAXIMUM safe speeds for that particular part of the roadway in ALL weather conditions. The actual speed limit still stands over that yellow sign. i.e. Interstate is posted at 65, but the hairpin exit ramp is yellow signed at 25. The speed imit is still 65, but max safe speed is 25 for all traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread