Yellow GT350 at Roebling Road Raceway today???

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
From two good friends who I regularly track with, a new yellow GT350 caught on fire at RRR today. My buddy told me that the a cooler line came loose, sprayed the exhaust and burned the back of the car. He said the car had MSPC2's on it and "it looked bad". The driver was lucky to get out of it.
Anybody here, or anybody have details on what happened?
S.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
13118097_1594224684201868_1756964342_n.jpg

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, thats a damn shame.... Wonder if it had to do with the aftermarket exhaust install...

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Thanks Tob. I haven't had a chance to look for it, but as I said, my friends who were there are solid guys and if Dave told me a GT350 caught on fire, I 100% believed it.
S.

myshelby3425

Established Member
Oh wow it was the only GT350 with kooks header and exhaust system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy49

Established Member
Kooks did the work. They should be replacing it. Not Ford.

It's hard to tell if the burned car is the same car in Tob's post.
It would depend on if Kooks disconnected the line and didn't get it reinstalled correctly.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Depends if they either touched, moved, loosened retightened, or messed with the cooler lines to do the install, or if the exhaust ended up in contact with the lines after the install.

Seems like quite the coincidence that the cooler lines let go on a car with new exhaust, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

kley

I was there but not on track. I could see the smoke from where I was camped out, gut wrenching like the other poster said.
I did see in car video that was waiting to go out when he came by, flames must have been 30 feet behind the car. He's a pretty well known instructor and not the type that would randomly post that video but if the car owner wants it I can find the instructor. Hope everything works out with that. Smart move to pull off at the flag station and the crew at Roebling was on it instantly.

Twinpwr

Established Member
Scary, glad the driver is ok.

I wonder how this could impact MY17 cars where cooling becomes standard, hope conclusion is parts added caused this.

I'm feeling better about my MY16 Tech car, as I don't want this risk.

krt22

Established Member
Scary, glad the driver is ok.

I wonder how this could impact MY17 cars where cooling becomes standard, hope conclusion is parts added caused this.

I'm feeling better about my MY16 Tech car, as I don't want this risk.

This was a track pack car, has nothing to do with the coolers (or lack of them). Only way it would be at all related is if a hose actually broke loose (in this case likely the diff)

IM3CPO

Established Member
My understanding

This was a track pack car, has nothing to do with the coolers (or lack of them). Only way it would be at all related is if a hose actually broke loose (in this case likely the diff)

My understanding of the issue is the lines running the oil to the cooler may have failed thus causing the oil to catch fire from the exhaust, etc, so this *would* apply to track pack cars and not the tech cars (as the original poster wrote).

krt22

Established Member
My understanding of the issue is the lines running the oil to the cooler may have failed thus causing the oil to catch fire from the exhaust, etc, so this *would* apply to track pack cars and not the tech cars (as the original poster wrote).

Agreed, but still pure speculation at this point, and OP nor the car owner knows for sure just which line may have come loose.

The poster I was replying was eluding to was the car somehow overheating and bursting in flames, simply not the case regardless of which trim the car was.

Users who are viewing this thread