Yay another exhaust opinion thread!!!!

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
yep, another one to the list of at least 12 on this page alone.

my 11 GT and 13 GT had the pypes super system on both cars, sounded good, good WOT, but not really aggressive in the "low rumble" department. also heard it in the cabin more (which i like to an extent). then both those cars got sold.

my 14GT now has the Roush axleback that i bought used from another member. it sounds good, WOT is good, sounds deeper in tone than the pypes did but in cabin is quiet and also if im not really giving it that much gas you can barely hear it and almost sounds stock. im thinking deleting my factory resonators will beef up the sound a bit during cruising, or at least give me a better tone down low and at idle. thoughts? opinions? long tubes and cutouts are out in the interest of keeping my warranty. ( hey the car has 400 miles on it give me a sec before i start trying to break it).

01svtL

Established Member
Go on youtube and search it. I think Roush with resonators deleted is just plain obnoxious and sounds like @ss, but that's just me.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
idk the sound is starting to grow on me as it is setup right now. might just leave it as is.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Funny you brought this question up...JUST finished deleting the resonators and still have stock H pipe with roush axlebacks. It wakes the car up SIGNIFICANTLY.

Its about a 30-35% increase in sound and at WOT it sounds like it has a catless X pipe. interior cabin noise is increased slightly...not much. Idle is a little louder but still quiet if its warmed up already. Cold starts shake the walls though.

I'll post a video for you so you can compare when I get home from work

Badlilstang

Established Member
Not often to I hear complaints of Roush being two quiet. Mine was plenty loud. I heard ThatDudeInBlue car on youtube with an offroad X and holy smokes is that loud.

01svtL

Established Member
OP, replace your resonators with a couple of these mini bullets. It should increase the volume but still smooth it out some compared to straight deletes, I would imagine anyway. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynomax-Race-Bullet-Muffler-24249-/390808759466?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afe046caa&vxp=mtr

People say the full race bullets smooth the sound out even compared to stock resonators, but it quiets it down a little too. This shorter version should help increase the volume, but still have a little bit going on in there to slow down the gases a little to smooth the sound out some.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
might be a little too late...but heres a vid of a WOT pass i made. this is stock headers and h pipe w/ resonator deletes and roush AB's.

[youtube_browser]spzmWasV6VU[/youtube_browser]

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
The best way to get the low idle rumble you want is with a cam tune.

Find an exhaust setup that you like at WOT and cruising and just throw in a cam tune. I have a very mild one that's similar to the Boss Track Key Lope from Lund and that is enough to shake the car at idle. At times when you need your car to be quiet, just switch to a non cam idle tune. If you go with Lund and ask for the cam tune, which is at no extra charge, he will send you a cam file and non cam file.

[video]http://instagram.com/p/m8vUUVJVDF/[/video]

This is literally the only way to get really mean sounding idle. 4Vs just aren't the same sounding as the 2v and 3v because of technological advancements.

Even with my essentially straight pipe setup, without the cam tune, my idle is still pretty quiet. Obviously, cold starts are a different story but once your car heats up, the volume of idle hardly changes compared to how drastically your WOT volume increases.

cliffs: Low idle rumble -> cam tune.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread