y bypass heater core?

nitrovic

Established Member
I am thinking about buying a foxbody and the owner stated he bypassed the heating core. I have three questions-

A.- Y would u do this?

B.-I take it this means no heat at all???

C.- How expensive is it to fix

THanks,

Jay

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
a. because replacing a leaking heater core is a pia
b. you are correct
c. dealerships usually want about $800 iirc?

Last edited:

rw93cobra

Established Member
If you can do the work yourself, you can get a heater core for around $50 or so. You have to remove the dash to do this though. I did my heater core on my 93 cobra not too long ago and it probably only took 3-4 hours. To do it you usually have to reclaim the refrigerant and unhook the evaporator core so you can remove the heater box. I did mine with the heater box in the car on 2 of my foxbodies so I didn't have to reclaim the a/c but its a real pain trying to get some of the bolts out to remove the cover for the heater core.

buddha93

Established Member
I've also done it before. I did not remove the dash however. You still have to unbolt much of it, and loosen a whole bunch more to make it fly. I was able to pull it out far enough to remove the core, wedge a block between the firewall and dash, and put a new one back in. Took me a couple of hours.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
The first time is a learning experience . The dash does not have to come out of the car , just loosened and rolled out of the way.
Drop the steering column , pull the console out , and the rest is pretty straight forward .
Don't have to disconnect the A/C .
Have to remember the 5/16 bolt above the steering column .
Last heater core I bought , which was last week was a whopping 15.00

Users who are viewing this thread