Xpipe or Hpipe?

redrockett

Established Member
Go with a H pipe with some original 40 series Flowmasters. My father is running that on his 99 Cobra and it sounds really good!

Huckleberry06

Established Member
I prefer the higher pitch/tighter sound of the X, but the deeper/throaty tone of the H is cool too. Apples to oranges.

FORD4U

Established Member
The X pipe often offers a little more power in the mid range over a H pipe on street cars but in extreme high horse power cars they will use a H pipe as it gives a straight shot and still offers the ability to equalize both sides.

Termilvr

Established Member
there is also a difference in x pipes. ones where the gasses actually cross, and ones that dont. i have a vrs witch doesn't cross, i think the rasp comes from the ones that do cross like magnaflow,bassani, bbk, ect.

BlownShelby10

Established Member
I have a SLP lm2 catback and stock h pipe on my 03 cobra...Would changing to a magnaflow catted x sound alot different? (raspy, deeper, etc)...Or is it not worth changing? I dont really want alot of clacking etc when slowing down!

Full_Tilt

Banned
x pipes offer better exhaust scavenging as the two pipes actually meet and equalize pressure in the exhaust system, giving a little bit more peak power, but not enough to justify buying one over the other for that sole reason.

^This.

If youre trying to squeeze every last bit of power out, the X pipe is an inherently better design. But, theyre close enough that it just comes down to sound preference.

BlownShelby10

Established Member
Anyone for the question i ask above? Is a catted x pipe going to sound different then my stock h pipe with cats with my slp lm2 catback? and if so how?

Full_Tilt

Banned
Anyone for the question i ask above? Is a catted x pipe going to sound different then my stock h pipe with cats with my slp lm2 catback? and if so how?

It will have an inherently different sound with the X pipe. The H pipe has a more noticeable off beat rumble, the traditional american muscle car sound. The X pipe will sound more smooth and more european, it will also probably be a little bit louder at high rpm.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Bump!

I'm torn between an catted X or H pipe for my flowmasters! Decisions, Decisions..

moonltgold

there is also a difference in x pipes. ones where the gasses actually cross, and ones that dont. i have a vrs witch doesn't cross, i think the rasp comes from the ones that do cross like magnaflow,bassani, bbk, ect.

True, there are different X pipes. The siamese style X pipes are the smoothest (Mac, VRS, SLP, Pypes, etc. and Magnaflow to a certain extent). You will get more rasp with the BBK/Bassani style because they are not smooth crossovers but are an H/X combo and "smash" the exhaust pulses against the back wall of the chamber, and that smashing causing the additional rasp with the sound rattling around more inside. Somewhat of a subtle difference but it can be noticed.

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
Prochamber and Mac mufflers and don't look back! The sound is awesome.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJkWwQDIhI"]YouTube - 03 cobra with prochamber & mac 2.5in ss catback[/nomedia]

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Good choice too, Prochambers sound deep much like a H-pipe. It will compliment the Flows nicely however will be quieter then a standard offroad pipe.

yes sir! kind of the reason i went with it, i don't want another stupid loud car. My old SS was ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread