XP vs Vista with SP1

03Cobra&03Mach1

Big Gulps Huh?!?
Established Member
I just purchased a new computer last night. The computer came with Vista that is already updated to SP1. I know a lot of you guys are pretty computer savy here. So I have a few questoins for you.

Has Vista gotten any better with the update? I have never even used Vista before, so I dont know what to expect. Would I be better off just loading XP on the machine?

Thanks for the help!

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Been running Vista Home Premium since May of 2007. Never had a problem with anything.

Be prepared to hear quite a bit of "love it or hate it" type stories.

R8ter316

Established Member
Vista is better than XP. The driver issues at the beginning of the vistas release happened with XP when it first came out too. I have had great experiences with vista on my gaming rig, laptop, and others computers.

Im gonna say it again: Vista is better than XP.

What I'm also gonna say: XP is a great operating system that takes less ram then Vista to run. I especially like running XP on laptops or gaming computers (Rule of thumb is at least 2 gigs of ram for vista, I personally use 4 gigs. Whereas 2 gigs on xp gets the job done plenty)

The last thing im gonna say: If your having trouble with vista you most likely have outdated hardware and/or dont know anything about computers.

So sick of Vista haters....

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt say I'm a hater of vista, but I still prefer XP. Its a far lighter OS, but Vista is cool if you dont do hardcore gaming.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I just built a computer about a month ago and put Vista 64 bit on it and have had absolutely 0 problems with it.

03Cobra&03Mach1

Big Gulps Huh?!?
Established Member
I appreciate all the help guys. I think I am just going to keep Vista on there. It is the 64 bit version, and the computer should have plenty of power to run it.

Don Juan

Established Member
Vista is better than XP. The driver issues at the beginning of the vistas release happened with XP when it first came out too. I have had great experiences with vista on my gaming rig, laptop, and others computers.

What I'm also gonna say: XP is a great operating system that takes less ram then Vista to run. I especially like running XP on laptops or gaming computers (Rule of thumb is at least 2 gigs of ram for vista, I personally use 4 gigs. Whereas 2 gigs on xp gets the job done plenty)

The last thing im gonna say: If your having trouble with vista you most likely have outdated hardware and/or dont know anything about computers.

x2 I have both and Vista is a lot better than xp.

ViciousJay

Established Member
both have pros and cons...

I posted a thread a few months ago... i decided to just leave my home edition on but to be honest i was thinking of stepping back to XP. I use 4 gig and well XP with 4gig would be flying compared to Vista with 4

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Im not a Vista hater either, i just like XP better. Maybe its just because its the system ive been using for quite a whle. We have 2 laptops with XP, and a desktop with Vista.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I just received my new IBM Notebook yesterday and I had them downgrade Vista to XP Pro. I have Vista on my work computer and I hate it.

BronzeGod

Banned
I'm using Vista Ultimate with SP1. Runs great. Vista is a real resource hog though, so I recommend running at least 2 to 4 gigs of RAM. I'm running 8 gigs so it performs great. As for compatibility, everything seems to be working fine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My laptop came with Vista and I really haven't had too many problems. Mostly it's been getting the right updates for certain programs. But overall I'm happy with it.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Vista fix:
1. Throw the Vista CD in the garbage.
2. Reformat hard drive.
3. Install Windows XP Pro either SP2 with all the bug fixes or SP3
which is just really service pack 2 with patches.
There, fixed!
Jeff

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member

Try four gigs for at least a little performance from Vista the RAM and resource hog King of all time.
Jeff
Edit:
In case you feel you need DX10 installed..
http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I didn't really get into computers until XP was the norm. I'm going to guess a lot of people acted the same way when XP came around.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I didn't really get into computers until XP was the norm. I'm going to guess a lot of people acted the same way when XP came around.
WinXP was light years ahead of '98. You can't say the same for Vista.
W2000 is the most stable M$ OS I've ever used. If I remember correctly Windows 2000 was actually going to be released as NT5
Unfortunately it is based an old NT Kernal.
Jeff

Last edited:

R8ter316

Established Member
Try four gigs for at least a little performance from Vista the RAM and resource hog King of all time.
Jeff
Edit:
In case you feel you need DX10 installed..
http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

4 gigs is obviously a greater numeral value when compared to 2 gigs, so of course there will be better performance. In a perfect world, id have all the ram slots on my motherboard filled but available funds thought otherwise.

2 gigs not cutting it on vista? Whats your specs? single core processor or something? My e8400 wolfdale and 2 gigs of ddr2 clocked at 1066 run flawless. Stay away from ddr2 clocked below 1066 with vista.

Considering the potential of DDR3, its obvious why vista is such a resource hog. New OS for new technology.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
4 gigs is obviously a greater numeral value when compared to 2 gigs, so of course there will be better performance. In a perfect world, id have all the ram slots on my motherboard filled but available funds thought otherwise.

2 gigs not cutting it on vista? Whats your specs? single core processor or something? My e8400 wolfdale and 2 gigs of ddr2 clocked at 1066 run flawless. Stay away from ddr2 clocked below 1066 with vista.

Considering the potential of DDR3, its obvious why vista is such a resource hog. New OS for new technology.
I have not run any benchmarks with Vista. Even though most benchmarks are "synthetic" it gives you a general idea of how your PC's CPU, RAM and GPU are functioning. D/L 3DMark and other BM software to see how your PC is doing. I read http://www.tgdaily.com/index.php "Tom's" for BM with Vista. My old Water Wetter liquid cooled 3.0 P4 was a fast motha. I overclocked the pee out of the CPU, GPU. Tweaked the RAM voltage and RAM timing(s). CNC copper waterblocks for the CPU, GPU and Northbridge. Plus a reservoir, radiator, submersible fish tank pump and tubing. It was set-up like an automotive cooling system. Of course time marches on and there are a lot faster computers then that one was.
Really, 2 Gigs with Vista is borderline.
Jeff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread