XorH pipe

GT2aCOBRA

Established Member
just quick question? first off i have a 96 gt. my mods are mac CAI, ford motorsport headers, 2chamberflows, and 373 gears. now my question is i want my car louder and i wanted to know which will benefit me more an X or an H pipe and with cats or no cats? thanx for any advice

GT2aCOBRA

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
Personally I have the Bassani X, attached to my 2 chamber american thunder flowmasters. I love the combo, simply because it "growls" at idle and roars at 2000 rpm.
I had to go with a "catted" X pipe simply because the state of PA requires emissions testing along with your state inspection. Check your local state laws, but go with the o/r X if all possible.
You won't be disappointed, .....just my $0.02:thumbsup: :beer:
Good luck.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by GT2aCOBRA
just quick question? first off i have a 96 gt. my mods are mac CAI, ford motorsport headers, 2chamberflows, and 373 gears. now my question is i want my car louder and i wanted to know which will benefit me more an X or an H pipe and with cats or no cats? thanx for any advice

GT2aCOBRA

An X-pipe will produce more power but an H-pipe usually sounds better on Mustangs. The MAC Prochamber is kind of an H-pipe hybrid in which it produces power equivilent to an X yet sounds deep and bassy like an H pipe. That's what I went with and I'm pretty happy with it. Two years and it still looks and sounds the same:beer:

BTW my check engine light has never come on with the Prochamber either. Something else to consider. A regular H-pipe will trigger the light usually within two weeks.

Grim's Reaper

Established Member
This is true with the Bassani X pipe, ..mine was triggered within 2 months of the install. It was a simple fix, but none the less a pain in the a$$.
BTW my check engine light has never come on with the Prochamber either. Something else to consider. A regular H-pipe will trigger the light usually within two weeks.

Last edited:

GT2aCOBRA

Established Member
Grims do u have any sound clips or videos of your car?, and BlackGeeTee beautiful car and sounds awesome!

GT2aCOBRA

Established Member
and it feels like im lackin low end power but once i get to or past 3000rpms the car goes, so i was thinkin maybe the Hpipe cuz i heard that its good for the low end while the Xpipe is better mid to top end is this true?

Grim's Reaper

Established Member
Originally posted by GT2aCOBRA
Grims do u have any sound clips or videos of your car?, and BlackGeeTee beautiful car and sounds awesome!
no vids yet,...hope to have some digital pics on the site soon. I will keep you posted. In the mean time, any pics of your fine GT??

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Originally posted by Grim's Reaper

I had to go with a "catted" X pipe simply because the state of PA requires emissions testing along with your state inspection. ...just my $0.02:thumbsup: :beer:
Good luck.

Ive seen more and more emissions stickers in PA as the years pass. I guess im lucky, I live in a non-emissions county, and the garage people here have never heard of a new-fangled sniffer!

The only thing they cant to is take off the cats if a car already has them.

Are they strict? Does inspection cost any more than usual? It costs like 15 bucks here.

Thats one reason why ill never live in California... the strict visual car modification laws. Hell, where Im at, you could stuff a carbed, nitrous sniffing, 604 with straight pipes into a focus, and the inspection people wouldnt say anything... just as long as all the driving crap worked allright...

GT2aCOBRA

Established Member
and sumthing is wrong with my car its lackin alot of low end power i have sum mods shouldnt those help(look at my first post to see mods) i just dontunderstand

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
yes, they should. The 96-up cobras dont feel all that torquey. But trust me, its all there.

The power comes on smooth and gradually.. Its deceptively fast.

If you seriously think somethings wrong with it, take it to a chassis dyno.. Thell tell you how much its makin.

-Homer

MINI_ME

Established Member
Im runnin a h pipe and ive been pretty happy w/it...the check engine light came on once in 7 months so not too bad.....

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
High RPM engines, such as the Modular 4.6L engines, will scavage exhaust pulses better with an X-Pipe than an H-Pipe. H-pipe will do better on a pushrod engine than an X-pipe.

--Matt

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I would go with the Bassani O/R X if you can get away with it. The sound is going to depend on what you want. Deep and old school, go H pipe. Crisp and Ferrari like, go X pipe.

The biggest and best mod you could do would be the PI heads, cams and intake swap. This will make such a huge difference in your car. The heads COMPLETE from Ford are like 380.00 That is with valves springs and all assembled. I've seen most places have the entire kit with complete heads, bolts, gaskets and lower intake for around $1300 Check www.Lonestarperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread