XM Radio on your factory HU for $50

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
B-O-B'03 said:
My '03 does not have an AUX button, it has a CD button where your SAT button is.

I bought the PIE XM5-FRDN adapter to add an XM standalone to my car.

Push the CD button and it switches between CDs and the XM radio, does not give any info from the XM, but I wonder if that could happen... the display changes to "DJ 1 TRK 1" when you switch to XM.

Sounds a lot better than listening to the XM through the FM tuner.

Pics of the result are Here.

Link to the PIE website is Here

I think I found it for $80 ($50 for the setup you have is a much better deal IMHO)

Great post BTW :thumbsup:

-Brian

Interesting. That PIE adapter looks like it has the World Plug on it. Perhaps given yours was built in 02' there were mid year changes.... ? It's unclear to me, but from research appears that there may have been one set of connectors used for part of the 03' run, then another for the rest or 03' and beginning of 04', and then later 04's got a third set of connectors. I'd love to validate, but everyone I know has a late 04'....

Steve

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
BWH2003 said:
LOL I was going to post that same info about the merger. The debate is defintiely over. I really hope they dont try a new name and make a really stupid one. I think they should stick with sirius.

As far as I know the plugs will be completely different. If you had an 04 I would say go for it. The plugs on the back of the radio changed for 04 and after.
Sorry to disagree, but I have both and as far as I'm concerned, the XM is the better technology. My Sirius drops the signal when I go through a canopy of trees. Plus, there is a dead spot (clear view to the sky in ALL directions) I hit repeatedly on I-85 just north of the connector (If you live in Metro Atlanta, that makes sense. Sorry about the rest of y'all) when I'm in the car with Sirius, but XM car never misses a beat. So either way the merger goes, I'm set.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
1svtfan said:
Interesting. That PIE adapter looks like it has the World Plug on it. Perhaps given yours was built in 02' there were mid year changes.... ? It's unclear to me, but from research appears that there may have been one set of connectors used for part of the 03' run, then another for the rest or 03' and beginning of 04', and then later 04's got a third set of connectors. I'd love to validate, but everyone I know has a late 04'....

Steve

That knd of makes sense.

I looked on the PIE website, before I bought it, and they said it did not work on '03 mustnags, but I have a friend that has one for his I-pod so I took a chance and it worked out.

Actually having the stand-alone XM radio is nice, I have a base for it in the house and it is hooked to the home stereo, it came with a remote, antenna and power supply for $49.

-Brian

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
snake134 said:
svt fan i dunno about the XM radio, but ur avatar is the sh!t!!!!

Thanks. Grabbed the picture years ago. Coletti and his crew requisitioned a Ferrari to have for comparision when building the GT, and stuck that bumper sticker on it. I've always thought it was funny as hell.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Thanks a lot 1svtfan!!!

Now I'm sure that the 04 head unit has 16 & 24 pin connectors!

0420hu20rearpu4.jpg

Thanks for the pic!

MY DREAM

Established Member
I already have sirius subscription, I am going to wait till thier is a kit to hook up the sirius to our head units. Any one know of one?

James

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
MY DREAM said:
I already have sirius subscription, I am going to wait till thier is a kit to hook up the sirius to our head units. Any one know of one?

James

You can get Sirius from Ford. XM was the hard part. Let me know if you need the links. I've got them somewhere.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
04svtspray said:
Where are you guys mounting the attena at?

Rear package tray for me. No issues at all. Make sure if you have window tinting on the rear it is non-metallic. Metallic can cause interference.

MY DREAM

Established Member
1svtfan said:
You can get Sirius from Ford. XM was the hard part. Let me know if you need the links. I've got them somewhere.

Links would be great! I went to the Ford dealer in my town and they told me it would be around $900-$1,100 to hook it up. I told them to go fly a kite.

James

Users who are viewing this thread