XCAL 2 Users

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I just bought an XCAL 2 last night from a guy locally. The previous vehicle (Powerstroke) was returned to stock. I messed with it today, and had to download some programs from SCT in order to make the status "Unused". Right now, when I plug the device into my OBD2 port and click on Program Vehicle, it says Error: No index file.

I cannot figure out how I can adjust base settings, like timing and fuel pressure, and I can't get it to load my stock file. How do I use this thing?!

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Do you actually have a tune for your car? The Xcal itself doesn't magically tune cars, you still need to either hire a tuner or buy the Pro racer package and do it yourself.

From SCT's website:
What does the Error: 'No Index File Found' mean? - SCT SupportSuite

Error No Index File Found:
If you are attempting to program a vehicle, and you receive the error: No Index File Found.
This means that there are no Tune Files loaded onto the tuner.

Solution:
Contact any of our custom tuning dealers and get tunes made for your vehicle.

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I was thinking that with a handheld tuner, you could still make basic adjustments like adding a couple degrees timing or, in my case, pulling some timing and adding a little fuel to tune for the nitrous. Am I wrong? I might have to get a Bamatunes tune or something, but I was hoping I could make some of the basic adjustments myself.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Ok. Is there any way to get a stock tune for my car without paying for a handheld? or am I going to have to pay Amazon or Brenspeed or the like to write me a stock tune? Would it even be possible for somebody to share a basic tune? Just trying to cover my bases before I buy an email tune.

What is the preferred place to buy an email tune? Are there any places with a pretty reasonable turn around time and price?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't waste your money on purely an email tune.

Every car is different. Unless you can find a tuner that will have you do data logging and email you the tunes it's just not worth it. Every sensor on every car (especially with mileage) is going to have different measurements from the MAF, O2s, IAT. The injectors will spray differently.

I've always worked with a local tuner. I'm not sure who to recommend that will do tuning long distance with data logging. I believe Jon Lund will.

luke87gt

Established Member
When I first bought my Xcal2, I was also dissappointed that you really cannot make any changes without the help of a tuner or the PRP software.

I personally don't see anything wrong with a mail order tune as long as you are data-logging and working with your tuner to remotely tune the car by going through several iterations where you start off with a base tune, data log, fine tune that base tune, data-log, etc, until both you and the tuner are satisfied with the results. By following this procedure, and using a cooperative proven tuner, you can get similar results to them performing a dyno tune in person.

Just remember, doing 3rd or 4th gear WOT data-logs on the street can be dangerous. So carry this out in a deserted open area and know the risks.

I would not recommend just loading a base tune and stopping there since every car will be just a bit different.

goat-ee

Established Member
Don't underestimate an emailed tune!! If done correctly, I think there as good if not BETTER than a dynotune. Plus you save a boatload of money in the process.

As far as i'm concerned LaSota Racing is one of the best. I don't know how you can beat $50 bucks for a complete data-logged tune (assuming N/A?). Even if you just get the tune and don't follow up with the datalogs, it's a steal IMO!! If you've never done datalogs, it's very simple, especially if you have a laptop you can get access to. SCT LaSota Racing Ford Mail Order Custom Tunes

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I don't want to down play the value of an emailed tune for the sake of it being email. When done properly, if it's data logged (with a wideband) and tuned accordingly and data logged to confirm it's correct then it doesn't matter as much if it's emailed or done in person.

I think a lot of guys have a misconception that you can just give a tuner a list of mods and get an email tune without understanding the need for data logging.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Don't underestimate an emailed tune!! If done correctly, I think there as good if not BETTER than a dynotune. Plus you save a boatload of money in the process.

As far as i'm concerned LaSota Racing is one of the best. I don't know how you can beat $50 bucks for a complete data-logged tune (assuming N/A?). Even if you just get the tune and don't follow up with the datalogs, it's a steal IMO!! If you've never done datalogs, it's very simple, especially if you have a laptop you can get access to. SCT LaSota Racing Ford Mail Order Custom Tunes

Good points. I am going to go with an email tune. Bamachips will write 3 tunes for $50. That's what I'm going to do- an N/A tune, a nitrous tune, and a valet tune.

I don't want to down play the value of an emailed tune for the sake of it being email. When done properly, if it's data logged (with a wideband) and tuned accordingly and data logged to confirm it's correct then it doesn't matter as much if it's emailed or done in person.

I think a lot of guys have a misconception that you can just give a tuner a list of mods and get an email tune without understanding the need for data logging.

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I'll be sure to data log the best I can (no wideband), and I'll probably put the car on the dyno with a nitrous tune just to be sure. I can get 3 pulls on a local dyno for about $60, and it'd be cheap insurance just to make sure it's all good to go. At that point, the $110 spent will probably be worth it, rather than $3-500 for a dyno tune.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Good points. I am going to go with an email tune. Bamachips will write 3 tunes for $50. That's what I'm going to do- an N/A tune, a nitrous tune, and a valet tune.

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I'll be sure to data log the best I can (no wideband), and I'll probably put the car on the dyno with a nitrous tune just to be sure. I can get 3 pulls on a local dyno for about $60, and it'd be cheap insurance just to make sure it's all good to go. At that point, the $110 spent will probably be worth it, rather than $3-500 for a dyno tune.

In my opinion, tuning without wideband (especially with forced induction or nitrous) is playing with fire.

I don't like dyno tunes that stick a wideband in the tailpipe. If you run both you'll see the tailpipe sniffer have a much leaner reading than the one in the pipe.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've seen enough people blow things up due to improper/lack of tuning. $300 for a wideband is cheap insurance.

My tuner will even weld a bung in your pipe and use his wideband if you don't want to buy one.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Spend the $150 to do the wideband and do it right.

X2 also it would be good insurance that there isn't a problem down the road as well.

I was looking at some setups, what do you guys think about the digital gauges compared to the gauges with the annoying sweeping light? lol I really find that light to be annoying and have been thinking of a digital readout.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Personally, I like the sweep/digital combo gauges. I've got an Innovate XD-16 and it's great. Digital is fine, but once your car is fast enough to need a wideband, it's hard to stay focused on it to read numbers whereas the sweep color for "danger" is red and fairly easy to watch.

The nicest gauge is the PLX DM-OBD 100/200 but it's not cheap.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Personally, I like the sweep/digital combo gauges. I've got an Innovate XD-16 and it's great. Digital is fine, but once your car is fast enough to need a wideband, it's hard to stay focused on it to read numbers whereas the sweep color for "danger" is red and fairly easy to watch.

The nicest gauge is the PLX DM-OBD 100/200 but it's not cheap.

Good call I suppose lol. I'm trying to find a gauge series that will look just like the stock gauges with the cool white led behind them. I'm sure you've seen the blue gauge threads around. I want them to be white faced with black letters and numbers, then just the letters and numbers to light up blue. Anybody know of any?

Mustang Matt

Established Member

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I went with the MTX-L and will be trying it soon.

Are you using an Xcal2? You'll need to get the analog cable to wire it up.

You can always use the serial cable to log it separately but it's difficult to match up as the innovate logworks software has no way to know the RPM. It's also a different sample rate. I know Justin@VMP sells them.

Users who are viewing this thread