XBox 360 HD help please...

badazzar15

Banned
Ok I'm at my girl's house trying to get the HD hooked up correctly with my 360. She has a 52" HD Sony.

So standard definition widescreen works just fine...however when I switch to HD the screen turns to blue/green static.

I've tried all the different inputs but same result. I'm using component cables.

Thanks in advance

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
Did you change the switch on the XBOX360 cables from standard to HDTV?
Did you then change the setting in the dashboard to 720P/1080i/1080p?
are you changing it to a setting the TV doesn't/may not support? (1080p?)

badazzar15

Banned
Thanks for the reply. A few minutes after I posted the thread, I found out what the issue was. Her TV is only 1080i, and it was somehow set on 1080p. Anyways, works now and picture looks great!

Thanks Boomer

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
No problem man.

I know some of the older TVs support only 720p/1080i and not 1080p
I had a rear projection Panasonic like that.

Enjoy :)

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Not true

rgb and component are two deifferent types and they can both do 1080p

for all intents and purposes no....will the cable handle 1080p? yes.

two problems, AACS will only allow 1080i over analog connections and finding a tv that will support 1080p over component is next to impossible. thats why the industry standard is up to 1080i over component.

now sony or microsoft could encode their devices to allow 1080p over component, but that would mean extra internal encoders/decoders which would be pointless.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
and i worded it wrong...i didnt mean component cables, i meant component connections on tv's...which are rca...rca has a huge bandwidth drop after 100mhz....1080p needs at least 124.4mhz...bnc connectors support up to 3ghz and would support 1080p over component but you wont find a consumer tv with bnc connectors

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
for all intents and purposes no....will the cable handle 1080p? yes.

two problems, AACS will only allow 1080i over analog connections and finding a tv that will support 1080p over component is next to impossible. thats why the industry standard is up to 1080i over component.

now sony or microsoft could encode their devices to allow 1080p over component, but that would mean extra internal encoders/decoders which would be pointless.

xbox360 (set to 1080P) + hddvd + westinghouse = 1080P over component been there done that Granted i was not using a true tv but they are out there.
i know sharp has a lcd and samsung has a dlp that takes it.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
xbox360 (set to 1080P) + hddvd + westinghouse = 1080P over component been there done that Granted i was not using a true tv but they are out there.
i know sharp has a lcd and samsung has a dlp that takes it.

thats what i meant about its rare....you typically have to have some weird random combo

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
thats what i meant about its rare....you typically have to have some weird random combo

thats no wierd or random at all

Guys, I found the solution last night. Thanks

i dont think we are discussing this for you anymore , its for anyone else in the future who is smart enough to use the search button but not smart enough to go to an xbox 360 forum.

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
yeah you can but 1080p though component.

BUT some TV will not a allow it.

So when i do pre-wires on jobs ( I'm an audio/video installers ) I always find out what kind of tv they have. Make a big difference weather you run component or HDMI. Latly i have been just doing both.

Glad you got ur xbox working thought, i had the same problem when i first got mine too

65fastback2+2

Established Member
thats no wierd or random at all

i must be hard to understand or something

hd dvd player obsolete
samsung dlp obsolete
westinghouse tv....cheap pos
single model of sharp, rare

you arent just going to walk into a retail store grab some items, run back home and get 1080p over component.

heck, back when those things werent obsolete outta the 80 models a retail store carries...1-2 models is "rare"

Users who are viewing this thread