x303

johnh

Established Member
I am thinking about freshening up the Cobra with a new valve job and new springs. While I was in there I thought I would put in a x303 I have lying around. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts? Plus I was curious about valve clearance. TIA

alexs93lx

Established Member
that cam is too big! GO w/ something a little more mild u will probly lose more than gain if your close to stock. Go w/ an e cam.

johnh

Established Member
Thanks alexs93lx
That seems to be the consensous. I guess I will have to use a different cam. I am just surprised because CCM uses that cam in almost every shortblock they sell even with GT40P heads.

tommygun

Established Member
call up Dennis Hilliard at CCM he is a X-303 guru. It is a nice cam if it is installed properly which dennis will tell u is 8degrees retarded. E303 will make a decent amout of power with the factory cobra heads/intake due to thats the combo it was designed for.

johnh

Established Member
Thanks tommygun
I probably should have consulted with CCM first but I ended up going with a 2031 with the spring kit . For the price and simplicity I couldn't pass it up.

BlownStroker

Established Member
You can run the X-cam......They have a valve relief tool that bolts to the block and allows you to make bigger valve relief's in the pistons to run that cam with a stock motor. If you are going to freshen the motor go ahead and change the pistons. The price of J&E pistons have come way down they run no more than $400. You can get any compression ratio to make the cam work in the enviorment in which it was designed. Great cam!!! It just needs the right compression (10.5)still pump gas or retard 6 degrees and strap on a blower. Used the cam and had about 10.8:1 ran awesome when it was striaght up then degreed the cam and it was an animal.

johnh

Established Member
Thanks BlownStroker
That was the most positive response yet. It sounds like the people that use it love it and the people that don't say it's to much.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
The tried and true E303 and some head work-and of course exhaust- runs MIGHTY fine in those cars. :burnout:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread