X vs. H

adamb258

Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra with a american thunder c/b (2 chamber). I was wanting to get a new mid-pipe and am torn between an X or an h pipe. I will prolly have to go with the catted pipe b/c of emissions, but if i really need to i will change it out every year for emissions. what is the differece in sound and power increase with my c/b? any help would be appreciated. thank you.:shrug:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Everybody tells me that with chambered mufflers only go with an H pipe, look at the thread I started at the bottom of the first page, Ron seems to know what he is talkin about.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by trplblacksnake
uh oh what why who where.

My buddy did the same thing not too long ago and he hates it. I heard it as well and I'm not to big on it either. Just try it out and see if you like it. If not then buy some mufflers.

Razor.:beer:

GIDIEUP

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra. I put a set of American Thunder Flowmasters and an Off road X-pipe on from BBK. Let me tell you. I have never wasted so much money in my life!! When the combination was put on by a professional mechanic it sounded like someone farting in a pop can. We did every single permutation trying to figure out what was the problem. After a day of trial and error we found out it was the BBK X-pipe that was causing the noise back in the flowmaster mufflers. This only happened when derevving(Is that a word??). We even put the original mufflers back on and it still rattled. We put the original H-pipe on and the flowmasters and the sound was gone. I have used BBK for many products. I am done using BBK. You get what you pay for. BBK didn't even give me a seal for the passenger side manifold. Talk about cheap. I think I had everyone pissed off at me at Jegs (an Ohio thing) because I kept on returning their products while I was troubleshooting. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm going to post this message in a new thread to get everyones opinion and to see if anyone else has had this problem with a BBK x-pipe

So to finally answer your question. I don't know what you should go with, but don't go with an o/r BBK X-pipe:)

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
I'm not the guru on X-pipes, but all of the ones I have heard are raspy sounding. When it comes to eliminating the cats, well you will get a popping sound while decelerating. That will happen with an O/R X or H pipe. In my car at WOT I also get a loud pop between shifts in the upper rpm's most of the time. I think it's normal.

Razor.

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
I'm not the guru on X-pipes, but all of the ones I have heard are raspy sounding. When it comes to eliminating the cats, well you will get a popping sound while decelerating. That will happen with an O/R X or H pipe. In my car at WOT I also get a loud pop between shifts in the upper rpm's most of the time. I think it's normal.

Razor.

No, thats not normal- I have BBk long tubes, h-pipe(no-cats), with mac cat-back and I do not get any popping while decelerating or between shifts.

Pete

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Ive done a little research and talked to a few people. It is normal for X pipes to pop a little when decelerating. X pipes are made more for high reving engines. They flow better at high rpm. H pipes have a more ballsy sound if you may. Like the low rumble associated with 5.0s and such.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
X-pipe works best with straight through mufflers, the backpressure of chambered mufflers (Flows) and X makes that sound. Some like it, I personally don't. Stick with a catted H or MAC ProChamber with Flowmasters...

YMMV :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread