X vs H pipes

red97svt

Established Member
there seems to be some debate on the subject. which is the setup to have an x or an H pipe. i have a stock 97 and can't decide which way to go for the exhaust system. these clips help, but not the same as actually hearing them. what is the best setup to go with.

p.s. I am going to go with o/r and want it to be a loud rumble, similar to what older muscle cars sound like. thanks.

MustangMitch

Banned
If your looking for the rumble then go with the H.

I have had an O/R H and now have an O/R X.

The X is not as deep toned in upper RPMS and likes to pop alot on decel.

SVTContique

X pipes are raspy, and have more crackle. They produce more HP higher in the range but lose some low/mid torque.

H-pipes are more mellow and dont have much rasp. They dont gain as much HP, but they dont lose as more torque.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
The power difference between X and H is minimal, not enough to notice a difference. IMO no V8 should have an X...sounds to high and crackly. I have a OR H, with dumps, and my car doesn't crack or pop at all. I love it.

When I'm driving next to a semi, and I can't hear his truck, that is awesome.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I have an O/R X and Flowmasters right now. I really like the way it sounds but I can't wait to get an O/R H. I want the deeper burble and "wa-wa". Eventually I'll get LT headders and then I'll be done with the exhaust.

red97svt

Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
The power difference between X and H is minimal, not enough to notice a difference. IMO no V8 should have an X...sounds to high and crackly. I have a OR H, with dumps, and my car doesn't crack or pop at all. I love it.

When I'm driving next to a semi, and I can't hear his truck, that is awesome.

that is exactly what i want. some people don't want a system that is too loud, but my car has 30k on it and i plan on keeping it low so there is no daily driving in my future and i say the louder the better.

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
i think the absolute best sounding car is a 99-04 mustang gt with stock exhaust manifolds, a o/r bassani X, and welded in flow 40s

MouTine

Established Member
I have BBK X O/R with stock other parts. I'm going to add one free-flow-botle-muflers to front soon. Hope that cut some high ratling noise away.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
MustangMitch said:
I love the crackling of my X pipe. On decel it pops like crazy. Turns heads everytime..as if the 10 series didnt attract enough attention already lol.
Turns heads?

The average person turns heads like WTF is wrong with that thing.

Car people turn to listen and think "Damm that's loud"

True mustang people turn and think "He should have got the H-pipe. that X is raspy and pops too much.
:poke: :poke: :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread