X to H-pipe switch?

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
Is an o/r h-pipe a lot deeper and throatier than an o/r x-pipe because i am looking for something different and not so raspy sounding. Are MAC o/r h-pipes any good sound wise? I know they are really cheap $139.00. Any ideas....

RioRed4v

Established Member
yea, and H will give you a deeper and throatier sound as compared to an X pipe.

Mac H-pipe are good, but I'd rather spend the little extra and get the prochamber. Supposedly the gains are better.

Prochambers arent quite as loud, but they are deeper sounding, and a little smoother sounding IMO.

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
Is the H-pipe raspy at all through the rpm's and does it kill low end torque like the x-pipe supposedly does? Also, are MRT any good and do they make an o/r H-pipe that you know of?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Originally posted by tyronejenkinsII
Is the H-pipe raspy at all through the rpm's and does it kill low end torque like the x-pipe supposedly does? Also, are MRT any good and do they make an o/r H-pipe that you know of?

H pipes are not raspy like a X. You keep the low end torque with a H pipe. MRT seems to have a good reputation and several members on here have their H. MRT makes an o/r version of their H. Go to their website and check it out.

http://www.mustangracing.com/

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I've only heard sound clips of the MRT, and it sounds good. I have heard a Prochamber in person and they sound awesome. I assume you checked mustangexhaust.com for sound clips, right?

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
I have checked out mustangexhaust but had problems registering several times in order to hear the sound clips. Which of the two would you say has a more throaty sound?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i can say MRT has EXCELLENT quality and sound good...i've installed a couple of their h's (one o/r one w/ cats), and MRT is bar none the best quality and fit o/r h pipe you're going to find.... i have a mac o/r h, and it's ok qual and fit sucked, but once i got it sealed, it was ok....and when/if i ever have to remove it from the exhaust manifolds, i'm getting rid of it for an MRT piece.....

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
I think I'm in the same boat.. I've got a UPR X-Pipe with a flowmaster Catback and thinking I might like to swap it for something like the Prochamber.

Any takers? ;)

SlwSVT

Established Member
Just installed a Pro Chamber with a Flowmaster cat back on my 01 last night. Very deep sound and the Pro Chamber come's in sections, so it is very easy to install. I have had off road H pipes and an off road X pipes on previous Stangs. But prefer the Pro Chamber. Got my Pro Chamber for $209 shipped on Ebay.

mikey99cobra

Established Member
full length headers and off road x pipe sounded like a 70s chevy pickup with glasspacks. this was with a magnaflow exhaust. I switched to a off road h pipe and flowmasters dumped and it sounds amazing. very deep.

wma8706

Established Member
I have MRT catted h-pipe and when combined with Borla stingers.....they just sound completely "AWESOME"!! I couldn't be any happier! I have seen dyno comparison between MRT catted H vs Magnaflow catted X and they are just about identical. ( I think thet use the same cats) If I didn't live in California and if emissions were not a priority then I might have gone with the Pro chamber but for a catted H-pipe you can't beat the quality and perfromance/sound of the MRT

OrangeMachine

Established Member
I have the new 3 piece mac off-road H and it fits like a glove. You can't beat it for the price. Are the MRT's stainless? I am sure the MRT is a nicer piece, but for the money you can't go wrong with the mac H. THe prochamber seems like a gimmick to me. Might as well keep your X.

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
Originally posted by mikey99cobra
full length headers and off road x pipe sounded like a 70s chevy pickup with glasspacks. .

Well I use a catted SLP xpipe, with the loudmouth exhaust. Best comparison I can make is a Can-Am or 60s Trans-Am series race car.

wma8706

Established Member
Yes the MRT's are stainless steel and the cats are the same as the magnaflow cats and yes the MRT 's are a bit pricy but I think its a quality piece.

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
well I wound up going with the MAC o/r H-pipe. Got it installed last night and it took care of the rasp and also my car doesn't feel like it's stumbling at certain rpm's like it did with the x-pipe. Overall it feels like I got some low end torque back and the car just feels smooth all the way through the rpm's and sounds a hell of a lot better. No probs with the fit so for $139.00 I

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
well I wound up going with the MAC o/r H-pipe. Got it installed last night and it took care of the rasp and also my car doesn't feel like it's stumbling at certain rpm's like it did with the x-pipe. Overall it feels like I got some low end torque back and the car just feels smooth all the way through the rpm's and sounds a hell of a lot better. No probs with the fit so for $139.00 I can't complain except now I wouldn't mind putting some 40 series flows back on the car like I had before. The Magnaflows are too quiet now....

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
I had a Prochamber and some Magnaflows once before.. Definitely too quite.

The X that I have isn't bad.. just one certain spot it gets a bit raspy but once you pass it.. It's as if it enters a whole new sound range. All in all it's not bad.. I was just wondering if I'm missing something by going with the H-pipe.

B

Users who are viewing this thread