X-pipe & tuning questions...

03lowram

Established Member
I'm finally getting around to putting my kooks axle backs on along with a cat less mangaflow x-pipe. My car is currently bone stock on the factory tune. I'm ordering tuning from AED this week.. Thinking I should get the tunes within a few days.

My question is how will the car act with it being cat less but on the stock tune, while Im waiting on the tunes from AED. Ill be putting these exhaust parts on Monday..
Will it be ok for a few days running a cat less exhaust set up with the factory tune. Or should I just wait till I get the tuner and then put the x-pipe and axle backs on?

Thanks.
Sam

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
you'll be okay for a few days. You will pop a CEL for no cats, but stay out of the throttle and baby it and you will be okay.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
you'll be okay for a few days. You will pop a CEL for no cats, but stay out of the throttle and baby it and you will be okay.

Hey Lee! Looks like your 5.0 is coming along nicely. I haven't heard your car yet since you installed the lethal h and GT500 axlebacks. What's your next power mod?

walked_u_hard

Established Member
dont take it the wrong way, im not busting any balls here. There is some mis information floating around in here.

you can run a off road mid pipe with out a tune, it will NOT hurt the motor in any way what so ever. you can go WOT all you want. You WILL get a P0420 (bank 1) and a P0430 code (bank 2). Both codes mean that the cars computer senses that the cats are not doing their job correctly, which is to filter the exhaust gases for better emissions. The code will read (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold).

passenger side of motor = bank 1
driver side of motor = bank 2

Cat over temp is a code you will mostly see when the car is on a dyno because there is no moving air to cool the exhaust. Basically, when you get "cat over temp" the cars computer will dump fuel to cool the exhaust gasses down while pulling timing to keep exhaust temps in check. This is why you will see some dyno charts of these cars get really rich and loose power at higher rpm's. Even if this code pops up.... its not a big deal, it wont hurt the motor... its there to help save it.

put the exhaust on, drive the car. if you get a check engine light then check to see what the codes are.

Users who are viewing this thread