X pipe problem

pc85gt

Established Member
About a year ago I had XX tuning, in Hartford, install a Magnaflow X-pipe with high flow cats (along with some other stuff). Recently I put a four post lift in the garage so I’ve been spending some quality time under my car. What I have noticed is that my passenger side cat is about ¾” lower than the driver side cat. I’ve tried losing all four flanges to see if I could readjust the levels. Nothing I tried would improve the situation. The only alternative that I can think of is to take the cobra to a place that does muffler work like Midas and have them look at it. Do you have some thoughts on this situation? I live in the Hartford/Springfield area so if you know of a reliable shop let me know. I would appreciate any advice.

merc lover

Established Member
Heat the pipe with a torch w/ rosebud tip and bend it? Especially since you can put it up in the air?

pc85gt

Established Member
Thanks for the reply merc lover. I think heating and bending that 2 /12" pipe is beyond my skill level and tools. My level of ability is limited to bolt on stuff. The lift is primarily for making a 3 car garage out of a 2 car garage but since I'm a detail nut, come warmer weather I'll have the under side as clean as the top side.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
its been a year w/ no issue's right? why mess with it? its just the design of it...not like its put on wrong. I guess I can understand if your super anal about the car though....I am sometimes too!

pc85gt

Established Member
OK, I'll admit to being anal and at times super anal about the car. BadAss03svt knows that its part of the hobby, at times, from his success at the track. I guess the best thing to do is leave it alone. I don't want to take the chance of getting a leak by futzing with it.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Street Menace
Established Member
i had a magnaflow h on mine and noticed the passenger side was a bit lower then the driver, then installed my x and same thing (UPR)

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
OK, I'll admit to being anal and at times super anal about the car. BadAss03svt knows that its part of the hobby, at times, from his success at the track. I guess the best thing to do is leave it alone. I don't want to take the chance of getting a leak by futzing with it.

haha...no success yet..... 10.0's isnt success in my book!!!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
you might want to ask around with other owners of the same exhuast pipe....as mentioned there is a chance one side is lower than the other becuase of the design.

congrats on the lift, i am jealous

pc85gt

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the responses. Its nice to know that this may be a more common issue than I thought. I was thinking that there may be an improvement when I put the JBA headers on but no. Anyway, its working fine and no leaks so think I'll try to ignore. By the way, when I put the JBA's on, I noticed a distinct change in the exhaust sound. The headers took away the raspy sound of the stock manifold. Tone is more muted on start up and idol but on the road the car sounds great.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the responses. Its nice to know that this may be a more common issue than I thought. I was thinking that there may be an improvement when I put the JBA headers on but no. Anyway, its working fine and no leaks so think I'll try to ignore. By the way, when I put the JBA's on, I noticed a distinct change in the exhaust sound. The headers took away the raspy sound of the stock manifold. Tone is more muted on start up and idol but on the road the car sounds great.

mine did the same thing...sounds much better!

xonecrazyx

Established Member
after having an h and an x . i liked the high rpm of an x pipe but the sound of a properly sized h pipe is better imo

Users who are viewing this thread