X pipe Installation.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Several have posted messages about what exhaust to get, how to install it, what's the price, is it loud, what's the power gain, etc......?

I installed my X pipe today and it took just about 1 hour. Very easy job that I wouldn't think would be a challenge for most.

For those that are still on the fence, here's a short install process.

1) Do the usual. Apply the parking brake. Disconnect the battery. Block the rear wheels. Raise the front of the car and secure it with ramps or jack stands. I use ramps for faster and easier access.

2) Remove the rear O2 sensors. Disconnect the back connections and take out the sensors. Be careful with these as they have a crystal in them.

3) The fronts are a little different story. If you have TINY hands, you can reach up and disconnect the connector. I just screwed each of them out with the wires attached. It's only a few turns and it won't hurt the wires. After they are out, keep the twist in them by just lodging them out of the way. This sounds more than what it is. I just screwed them out and tucked them under a wire or harness close by.

4) Next remove the 4 bolts in the back coming off the H pipe. Since I was just changing the X pipe, I didn't need to jack up the back of the car and I was able to reach these bolts fine.

5) Spray a little WD 40 on the front exhaust bolts. Makes for an easy removal once they are loose.

6) Remove the 2 nuts on each side of the manifold. I took 1 nut off each side and left the others on hand tight and almost off. I then held up the pipe and removed both nuts by hand. This dropped the pipe down.

7) Do the reverse order for the install.

TIPS: Put a little anti seize on the front manifold bolts before putting the nuts on. Makes for future removal easier and gives you even torque.

DO NOT over tighten the manifold bolts. Break one of these and you just made for a long day.

Make sure you use the gasket on the passenger side manifold. I bought a new one but the old one looked fine. Always a good idea to change these once compressed.

DO NOT Put anything on the O2 sensors thread. NO WD40, anti seize, etc. Don't forget the washer also. They can fall off.

Put everything together before tightening it all down.

If you do not disconnect the front O2 sensors. make sure they have a reverse twist before screwing them back in. Once it, the wires should be nice and straight.

Tighten the manifold bolts first, then the back pipes.

Again, this took about 50 to 60 minutes. The sound is AWESOME and I can feel and see the difference. I put on the Magnaflow CB about 2 months ago, and the sound now with the complete system is sweet. After hearing TPOC's and seeing the power improvements of some of the others, I should have done this from the beginning.

On my Gtech I ran a 12.8 118MPH afterwards. And backed that up with a 12.9 at 118MPH. The Gtech records the MPH a little different than a track, so I was probably 4 MPH high.

If you don't think it's hard to find a place in Dallas to make these runs, think again! smile... On my last run, right after I was slowing down a cop drove right towards me. I was out in the middle of NO WHERE. I said a few Hail Mary's and drove home.

That would have been one Killer ticket.

By the way, I didn't have a scale, but the X pipe felt about 5 to 9 pounds less than the stock pipe.

xpipe9.jpg

chassebr

Established Member
Thats all nice and dandy but please include the tools you used for the install because as I remember I needed a special swival for my 1/2" drive socket to loosen and tighten the passenger side pipes. Think the bolts are 15mm too. I actually did this install twice already. Once with the Bassani cat x-pipe and then later decided I wanted the off-road version.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
chassebr, Good point.

I have a swival 15 mm socket, so I guess I didn't give it too much thought, but you are correct, that is one tool that is a must.

All the bolt heads are 15 mm for the most part.

I used a special wrench just for O2 sensors, but I know you can use a 7/8 inch wrench. Works fine.

The only tools I used were a deep 15mm for most of the bolts.

The swival 15mm shallow deep for ALL of the manifold bolts, but I think only the pass side would need the swival.

A long 3/8 extention. I guess about an 18 inch.

Mac..

Last edited:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
I didn't use a torque wrench, but I'd GUESS 18-24 lbs for the manifold bolts.

25-30 lbs for the back bolts.

I don't have the specs, but these are pretty standard for these types of applications. But again, you'd be HARD PRESSED to find someone using with a torque wrench on these bolts.

Mac...

chassebr

Established Member
OK, I used a torque wrench on my install and I just looked in my 2000 Mustang Workshop Manual. Torque specifications are as follows:

X Pipe-to-exhaust manifold nuts = 30 lb-ft
X Pipe-to-cat back flange nuts = 26 lb-ft

chassebr

Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
chassebr...your one hardcore dude. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, it's just when I do mods and installs I like to have as much info as possible and want to know every little detail and spec so I do the install correct. I'm kind of a perfectionist like that.

03DOHC

Established Member
X Pipe-to-exhaust manifold nuts = 1 1/2 grunt
X Pipe-to-cat back flange nuts = 1 grunt

/best Tim Allen impersonation

ah ah ah!

/Tim Allen impersonation off

chassebr

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
X Pipe-to-exhaust manifold nuts = 1 1/2 grunt
X Pipe-to-cat back flange nuts = 1 grunt

/best Tim Allen impersonation

ah ah ah!

/Tim Allen impersonation off

Was that necessary? I think not.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
That is an excellent example for someone about to do the install. Great pictures!:beer:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Let me anticipate some others from chassebr. Keep in mind, this wasn't intended to be a TECHNICAL posting, but just to give some others an idea if they wanted to tackle this on their own.

O2 Sensor torque 20- 25 lbs.

Antiseize compound - FEL-PRO -- C5-A HIGH TEMPERATURE, 51011

O2 Sensor tool -Snap-On 56150 Oxygen Sensor Wrench.

Exhaust gasket - 7.33 - Ford Motor Company

Use the nuts on the rear bolts that came with the new X pipe. They are self locking.

You use the same bolts up front on the manifold flange.

It took 6 half twists to remove the front O2 sensors. So you need about 6-7 reverse prior to installation.

Make sure the correct O2 sensor goes back in the correct side. They are color coded purple and green. Hard to mess this up.

Make sure you start it up and check for leaks before taking it off the ramps. I crawled under while it was running and put my hand around the connections. Perfect fit. Obviously be careful.

It was 71 degrees outside during the installation.

I started at 2:34:04 and finished on the ground at 3:26:03.

chassebr, I can't think of much else... And the last 2 are me being a smart ass....

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by chassebr
Was that necessary? I think not.
well, i enjoyed it...

what was uncalled for is first asking for the torque specifications, waiting for Mac03Cobra to reply, and then posting them when you most likely had them at your finger tips already -- cuz you've done two, right.

Users who are viewing this thread