X pipe install trouble help please

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Well i got the bbk off road x pipe and i got it on the car and i have an exhaust leak from where the driverside header meets the x pipe. Any secrets or tricks to getting rid of this? I only notice it on the drivers side. I took it to an exhaust shop the guy told me he could cut the x pipe and put a new flange on there and maybe that would help. he did not seem to know what he was talking about. (I discovered this when he told me that svt made v6 cobras too when i told him it was a v8) ha ha ha anyway a little help please

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Um assuming its lined up right cuz that's the side with the non-fixed flange just tighten the snot out of it.

That's what we had to do to my friends 01. Had to put a 3 foot pipe on the ratchet to get it.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
i had it down pretty tight it made hat squeeking sound. the exhaust shop guy told me he was not going to turn it too hard caue if he breaks that bolt he has to re tap and thread the header. Is this correct? i guess it would be. Anyway i have a 2.5 inch x pipe and 2 1/4 inch headers not sure thoguth cause he backs line up right? Thanks for the answer. This is very annoying it sounds like a plastic bag is stuck under my car

fst86410

Established Member
If you are talking about the ball and socket side you need to cut the flang (socket) off of the old h pipe and put it inside of the new x pipe. The new x pipe has a 2.5" inlet where the outlet of the stock manifold is 2.25". I had the same problem on mine. I cut the flang right where it goes to 2.25" and then put it inside of the new 2.5" x pipe. I also used some high temp. rtv to seal everything up. hope this helps.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
sweet so maybe this joe blow at the shop knows his stuff. so i ned to cut the old flange off the old stock pipe and have this guy cut my x pipe and throw a bead of welding around it and hook it back up? thanks for all the help

dredg9

Established Member
I didnt have a problem with mine.. It must have something to do with how the different companies make them

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
They can take a lot of torque.

And no its just a stud that he can knock out if he breaks it. Not that big of a deal.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
sounds good. i turned i a little more till it about snapped and it still has a leak. so gonna let him cut it up tomorrow and let me see what he can do. need to do it to both sides of the front part of the pipe or just the drivers side?

stangkid

Established Member
My BBK xpipe leaked too and i know two or three other people with them and they have all had the same problem with the drivers side leaking at the header flange i will never buy another BBK midpipe again and neither will alot of other people i know :nonono: :cuss: :nonono:

hatsharpener

Established Member
My Dr. Gas has the exact same problem. I welded a 2.25" flange inside of the Dr. Gas and it fit up nice and snug :)

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
sweet so you took a 2 1/4 and welded it inside of the 2.5 and it worked ok? This is the worst sounding leak i have ever heard. I hate to even drive the car. ha ha which is sad. what kinda numbers did you guys pick up from this pipe?

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I would return the POS and get a Prochamber. You should not have to cut and weld a new pipe to fit a car it was MADE for. I definitely would NOT cut up yer stock H-pipe, you never know if you may need it again and they are not cheap at all. From what I have read, the Prochamber makes more HP on our cars anyhoo....Just my .02.

Last edited:

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
i put a new flange on he pipe and it works great now. sounds sweet a litle loud but hell i do not mind. it too much. what happens if i do not get the mil elims till i get the 02's shut off by a tune is it bad for the car or anything? thanks guys

Tyler Manwell

4.6 DOHC
Established Member
My bassani off road, and the catted version that was on my 96 never had a problem. The only trouble that I had was getting the pass. side upper exhaust manifold bolt off. The fit and finish was perfect to the car. No complants here, obviously I have bought two of them.

SpittinVenom

Established Member
I had the same problem with my mac off road h, but I dont want to hack up my stock h-pipe so I guess I will look around for people not wanting theirs. Also, do you put a new gasket on the passanger side? Because its flat and doesnt have a recessed area like the stocker, and I dont think it would seal with a gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread