X/H pipe w/borla stingers

mark209

Marines Lead The Way
Established Member
Yeah i know you've all probably heard this a million times, but i coulde'nt find exactly what i was looking for in the search. Im set on the borla stingers, but which x/h pipe would you guys reccomend to go with it?

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
all I can tell you is I have on the stock H-pipe and it is the meanest sounding exhaust I have ever heard.

peace

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
steeda1982 has clips of his on the dyno with a dr X, sounds louder than my old magnapack and o/r H combo... may want to pm him...

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Tat03Cobra
all I can tell you is I have on the stock H-pipe and it is the meanest sounding exhaust I have ever heard.

peace

I agree, I am in the same boat here. I LOVE my stingers with the stock H-pipe, but still wanna get that easy bang for buck performance with a mid pipe, but don't want to screw the sound up:??: I know it's gonna make it sound different, I just don't want it to be raspy and pingy like some x-pipes get.

Kimcobra

Established Member
The guy that told me about this site has the Borla Stingers on his 03 I forget which mid-pipe but it sounds very nice.His user name is 97Topless snake.I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this.But his car really sounds mean.

Wayneo

Established Member
All I can say is it doesn't sound raspy or pingy just sounds awesome, but if you are worried about your car being to loud I would stick with the stock H-pipe.

Chowder Head

Established Member
Could you guys go into a little more detail about the Stingers with the stock h pipe?

How is the idle? Any drone at all? At WOT?

On a side note I've heard that the stock h pipe is pretty good at it isn't worth getting an aftermarket one. Any truth on that?

Thanks all!

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Do the stingers and x-pipe bolt on, or do you have to do welding?

I'm thinking about going with a bassani catless X with stingers right now, but if I have to weld it, I may just wait.

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
I have the Stingers. The sound with the stock H-pipe is really good IMHO.

Stingers are loud in the low revs with a load. They seem quieter than other cat-backs in the upper revs.

A friend of mine has the Stingers with a Bassani offroad X-pipe. It sounds awesome but it's LOUD.

Here's my car on the dyno. Stock H-pipe and the Borla Stinger cat-back.
duner1.AVI - 8meg - right clicky

Chowder Head

Established Member
Yuck, did you notice any gains by having the Stingers in? If so, how much?

I watched the dyno and I must say sweet but one question. At the very start was the car just idling? If not could you describe how the idle is?

And is there any drone at all?

Thanks.

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Chowder Head
Could you guys go into a little more detail about the Stingers with the stock h pipe?

How is the idle? Any drone at all? At WOT?

On a side note I've heard that the stock h pipe is pretty good at it isn't worth getting an aftermarket one. Any truth on that?

Thanks all!

I had LT headers, X pipe, and borla's on my 98 cobra and I have to admit, just the Stingers alone with stock H pipe is more Bad-@$$ sounding and LOUDER on this 03 car. There is a little drone around 2000 if its under load (as mentioned above) but just cruising around it isnt bad. At WOT its heavenly - trust me, you wont want to listen to your stereo once on.

peace

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
Originally posted by Chowder Head
Yuck, did you notice any gains by having the Stingers in? If so, how much?

I watched the dyno and I must say sweet but one question. At the very start was the car just idling? If not could you describe how the idle is?

And is there any drone at all?

Thanks.

Gains, oh yea. At idle it sounds deep and has a nice rumble.

I don't notice a drone. Keep in mind the tree hugging assholes here in Oregon keep the speed limit pretty low. I don't notice the drone becuse I can't cruise in that RPM range. I've heard people complain of drone at ~80mph.

I recorded these MP3s. They were recorded using a PC microphone and my laptop. The microphone was placed OUTSIDE of the car near the license plate.

03_Cobra_Stinger.mp3

03_Cobra_Stinger_First_thru_Fourth.mp3

03_Cobra_Stinger_Wheelspin_in_First.mp3

03_Cobra_Stinger_Cruising_60mph_Sixth_Gear.mp3

03_Cobra_Stinger_Easy_Take_Off.mp3

03_Cobra_Stinger_Wheel%20Hop-Peddling.mp3

Last edited:

MikeW

Established Member
Originally posted by Kimcobra
The guy that told me about this site has the Borla Stingers on his 03 I forget which mid-pipe but it sounds very nice.His user name is 97Topless snake.I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this.But his car really sounds mean.

Thanks Kim.. I like my Stingers!

Mine is a catted X pipe, Steeda but made by magnaflow. I like the sound and with the top down, it is a tad on the "what did you say" side of loud. My dad has the Stingers w the stock H and they sound a little less loud and bit deeper. Bassanni and others have a good sound too but dont seem as loud to me as the Stingers...

I have yet to hear the stingers with an Off road h pipe, I wanna hear that in person:idea:

Last edited:

astippich

Established Member
I have stingers and mrt cattrd h. It sounds low and bassy at idle. 2-3000 has a mean ass rumble and 3-6500 sounds nascar wicked. Does drone between 2100 and 2300rpm. Noticeable seat of the pants power increase with this combo. The 4" rolled tips look sweet as hell. When I first put them on I thought I was gonna get pulled over if I went over 2000 r's but now I'm used to them and I haven't been pulled over yet either.

mark209

Marines Lead The Way
Established Member
Originally posted by Yuckfou
I have the Stingers. The sound with the stock H-pipe is really good IMHO.

Stingers are loud in the low revs with a load. They seem quieter than other cat-backs in the upper revs.

A friend of mine has the Stingers with a Bassani offroad X-pipe. It sounds awesome but it's LOUD.

Here's my car on the dyno. Stock H-pipe and the Borla Stinger cat-back.
duner1.AVI - 8meg - right clicky

What kind of numbers are you putting up with your ride?

Users who are viewing this thread