WTT 4 a 96-98 Cobra

HeavyRightFoot

STRAIT TO THE TOP
Established Member
I dont think your getting it Dan. If you trade someone for a paid off 96-98 cobra, and you owe 10k on your GT then you are basicly trying to get a free car. Why would someone pay off a car and then trade it for another car that they have to pay off again? You need to either finance a 96-98 or just pay yours off.

You would need about 9-10k cash for that trade to work. So you might as well pay off your GT.

Last edited:

DanDaMan

BAD OMEN
Established Member
I dont think your getting it Dan. If you trade someone for a paid off 96-98 cobra, and you owe 10k on your GT then you are basicly trying to get a free car. Why would someone pay off a car and then trade it for another car that they have to pay off again? You need to either finance a 96-98 or just pay yours off.

You would need about 9-10k cash for that trade to work. So you might as well pay off your GT.

I do owe about $10k on it. NADA on it is about $15k. So to throw in some cash to do a trade i dont think is that bad of a deal!! Most of the cobras have 100k + miles. Mine has low miles and is 6 years newer if its a 98 and 8 if its a 96. I see plenty of 96-98 cobras going way under $10k. So say i owe exactly $10k.....its worth at least $15k. So you take the over the $10K payment.....theres $5k left to go towards a 96-98 and i throw in some cash. I have seen on this website 99-01 going for $10k or a little more. I am not looking for a 99-01. I am looking for 96-98. So if i threw in about $3k or so it would be a even trade almost!?!?

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Here is my suggestion to you bro. Just sell your car outright. I hate to break it to you, but it would be kind of hard to sell it for 15k. My friend just sold his 04 for 14,800 with only 32k miles. I see 01-03 GT's with your mileage right around the 13k mark on autotrader. But anyway, lets just assume you will get 15(I doubt), take 3k out of that to buy a cheap hunk of shit. Drive it for a couple of months and save like crazy.....THEN find a NICE 96-98 that you can take your time to look for and find what you want. Finance the difference of the price of the car you dont have in cash, and bam. You have a cheap paid for DD, and a nice Sn95 that you really want. Thats what I did to get my SS and I wouldnt have done it any other way.

Last edited:

HeavyRightFoot

STRAIT TO THE TOP
Established Member
I could trade my 98 cobra strait up right now for a 02-03 GT. You will never find someone dumb enough to trade you. You need to trade for a 94-95 GT.

Mods should delete this tread as it is pointless.

DanDaMan

BAD OMEN
Established Member
I could trade my 98 cobra strait up right now for a 02-03 GT. You will never find someone dumb enough to trade you. You need to trade for a 94-95 GT.

Mods should delete this tread as it is pointless.

Why is this thread pointless?? Cuz i am of many who are looking for a nice cobra? Sorry i think my car is worth more than you say its worth. But thats me. I am sure you think your car is worth more than some people would say to....just becasue its your car!!! I am not trying to fight with you or anyone on this board. I appreciate everybodys input. Bu there is no need for negative comments on my thread. I wouldnt do it to you and i know you wouldnt like it if someone said stuff to you about the price of your car. My car....my thread. You dont have to post on my thread.

DanDaMan

BAD OMEN
Established Member
Here is my suggestion to you bro. Just sell your car outright. I hate to break it to you, but it would be kind of hard to sell it for 15k. My friend just sold his 04 for 14,800 with only 32k miles. I see 01-03 GT's with your mileage right around the 13k mark on autotrader. But anyway, lets just assume you will get 15(I doubt), take 3k out of that to buy a cheap hunk of shit. Drive it for a couple of months and save like crazy.....THEN find a NICE 96-98 that you can take your time to look for and find what you want. Finance the difference of the price of the car you dont have in cash, and bam. You have a cheap paid for DD, and a nice Sn95 that you really want. Thats what I did to get my SS and I wouldnt have done it any other way.

I also see plenty of gt's going for the price you speak of. Mine does have the MACH1000 and the 99-01 polished cobra lookalikes that came on some of the newer gt's. But i am not expecting to get what i am asking...just throwing a price out there. I dont really need to buy a beater. I have one of those already lol. So i wouldnt need to spend $3k for that. So all i would need is to get the rest of the cash for a cobra. Would it be difficult to get a loan on a older car like a 96-98 cobra?!?! I do not know to much about financing!! You do have a good plan though. I appreciate your advice man. :thumbsup:

uofipilot

Established Member
Here's the problem. You have an 03 GT with 41k miles. If your lucky, you could sell it outright for 13k. I have a 97 Cobra with 70k miles. If I'm lucky, I could sell it for 10k.

Now, you want to trade me. You owe 10k. I owe 0k. If I trade you straight up, I would basically be giving you 7 grand. That's not gona work with for most people. Even if you pony up 2 g's, I'm still giving you 5 grand.

Here's another way of looking at it. Lets say we both sell outright, and then you buy a 97 cobra and I buy an 03 GT. You sell for say 14, less the 10 you owe. You have 4 grand in hand. I sell for 10, less the 0 I owe, and I have 10 grand in hand. So...

DanDaMan

BAD OMEN
Established Member
Here's the problem. You have an 03 GT with 41k miles. If your lucky, you could sell it outright for 13k. I have a 97 Cobra with 70k miles. If I'm lucky, I could sell it for 10k.

Now, you want to trade me. You owe 10k. I owe 0k. If I trade you straight up, I would basically be giving you 7 grand. That's not gona work with for most people. Even if you pony up 2 g's, I'm still giving you 5 grand.

Here's another way of looking at it. Lets say we both sell outright, and then you buy a 97 cobra and I buy an 03 GT. You sell for say 14, less the 10 you owe. You have 4 grand in hand. I sell for 10, less the 0 I owe, and I have 10 grand in hand. So...

That is why i asked how much would i have to come up with?? I could lets say come up with $5k cash instead of the $2k?! Seeing alot of people say OBO on there cars!! I know i am stuck between a rock and a hard place.....but maybe i can work something out with someone!?!?

uofipilot

Established Member
I guess the best way of looking at it is take waht you could sell for (say 14,000) less what you owe (10,000). That leaves you with 4,000. A good cobra is gonna cost you somewhere around 9,000. So you need at least 5,000 plus your car for a 96-98 cobra.

14,000 (sale) + 5,000 (cash) - 10,000 (what you owe) = 9,000 (which is what a decent 96-98 is gonna cost).

Now, that may not be exact, considering condition, mods, miles, etc of both cars, but thats the general formula you need to use.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to trade your 03 gt for an older car with more miles and pay more cash? When I was buying, I wanted an 01/02 gt, but could only afford a 96-98 cobra (as I didnt want a car payment). They're about equal in speed (especially if you have some mods).

Matt

Last edited:

DanDaMan

BAD OMEN
Established Member
I guess the best way of looking at it is take waht you could sell for (say 14,000) less what you owe (10,000). That leaves you with 4,000. A good cobra is gonna cost you somewhere around 9,000. So you need at least 5,000 plus your car for a 96-98 cobra.

14,000 (sale) + 5,000 (cash) - 10,000 (what you owe) = 9,000 (which is what a decent 96-98 is gonna cost).

Now, that may not be exact, considering condition, mods, miles, etc of both cars, but thats the general formula you need to use.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to trade your 03 gt for an older car with more miles and pay more cash? When I was buying, I wanted an 01/02 gt, but could only afford a 96-98 cobra (as I didnt want a car payment). They're about equal in speed (especially if you have some mods).

Trying to get rid of the bigger car payment. I would rather owe $5k than $9-$10k?!?! And i am also going through a divorce at this current time lol!! I also want a 4v instead of a 2v and i think the 96-98 have more shape then my body style.....so alot of reasons really lol. Do you have pics of your car? How haed is it to get a loan for a older mustang like 96-98's??

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
I also see plenty of gt's going for the price you speak of. Mine does have the MACH1000 and the 99-01 polished cobra lookalikes that came on some of the newer gt's. But i am not expecting to get what i am asking...just throwing a price out there. I dont really need to buy a beater. I have one of those already lol. So i wouldnt need to spend $3k for that. So all i would need is to get the rest of the cash for a cobra. Would it be difficult to get a loan on a older car like a 96-98 cobra?!?! I do not know to much about financing!! You do have a good plan though. I appreciate your advice man. :thumbsup:

Well your in good shape man. Forget about trading and just sell your GT. Since you have a DD already just drive it until you find the Cobra you really want. I dont think you will have trouble financing since you will most likely have some cash to put with it. If I were you my goal would be to finance no more than 6,000 on a Cobra which shouldnt be a problem. Try your Bank, or Captiol One Auto for the financing.

97BlackCobra

Good luck in getting an SN 95 4V Cobra. You can get them for a very reasonable price. For 10 grand you can get a very nice 96-98, try to get one with all the basic mod's(exhaust,CAI, gear!!) already done, if you want to go modded..that is.

Users who are viewing this thread