WTF ?!? Vortech tightening pulley specs?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Well, somehow my pulley on the head unit has decided to back itself off, which is CERTAINLY the or A reason why my car refuses to make boost. So, once I go throught the fun procedure of pulling the entire head unit off to redo this pulley, what should I be tightening it to?

Thanks!

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
This might be stupid, but is that head unit aluminum?

edit: I was checking some threads on this on the COrral and it was mentioned that someone was retightening it once they put the belt on. Should it be cool to torque it down with it all attached?

Last edited:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
i noticed you have an intercooler with your s-trim. how and why? i may be intersted. why not just an aftercooler?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
i noticed you have an intercooler with your s-trim. how and why? i may be intersted. why not just an aftercooler?
I have a procharger 3 core race intercooler, and I am using it because I plan on ultimately going with about 14-16 psi of boost. While there are some cases of it working to that point, the consensus is that the aftercooler is too much of a restriction at anything above 12psi.

yes the head unit is aluminum. Dont put too much torque on that bolt. You should try using a mild thread lock instead.

What would you recommend? I tightened it down and I for the 1st time felt anythign that could be mistaken for boost, then above 5000 rpm, it spit out clouds of black smoke, and it wasn't going anywhere. There's eiter some belt slip, pulley slip, or the plugs are screwed.

I only mention the plugs because for quite a bit of the time I've had the blower on, I know it was running crazy rich, so I could have screwed them up. That, and once I change gears, the car pops like crazy if you try to get on it, so there is either too much gas in the engine, or not enough spark.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
i just used an impact on mine as well, are you sure you didnt fug up the pulley, because it lines up on the shaft by the keyway, seems like it would still build boost if loose

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I'm not sure how you could mess up the pulley, but when I looked at it, it was WAY off. I see what you are saying, but it could have been dangling. I'm not sure.

edit: That was not the problem, the car is still doing the same thing it was doing before.

Last edited:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
oh I was just thinking, if the pulley had truely backed itself off, then why hasnt the belt jumped off? From my experience, even the slightest misalignment will cause the belt to jump off at least 1 rib. Oh and is the boost gauge showing boost? Is it is then sounds like the tune is thrown off.

Last edited:

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Yeah, that wasn't the case. It was just the bolt that had decided to leave it's position. I have not had the greatest luck with aluminum and bolts lately, so I'm sure I just didn't tighten it enough. Either way, that was NOT the cause of the problem. I'm going to swap out the plugs today and see if that helps. If not, I may be calling Pro-M about their calibration, and possibly buying a BA2600.

Users who are viewing this thread