WTF, Saleen wheels squeaking?

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
i just had my saleen wheels put on the other day. i drove the car twice after the install and they didnt do this.

took it out today, they are squeaking progressively louder/faster past 20 mph. when you touch the brakes, at any speed, the sound stops. i looked around, no clearance issues. lugs are tight. it doesnt make sense to me, i remember reading similar issues from saleen wheels. so i searched, i turned up one thing similar, but no result/not the same as my car.

any further suggestions? i dont get it

pipeliner

Established Member
88sc_gt said:
i just had my saleen wheels put on the other day. i drove the car twice after the install and they didnt do this.

took it out today, they are squeaking progressively louder/faster past 20 mph. when you touch the brakes, at any speed, the sound stops. i looked around, no clearance issues. lugs are tight. it doesnt make sense to me, i remember reading similar issues from saleen wheels. so i searched, i turned up one thing similar, but no result/not the same as my car.

any further suggestions? i dont get it

Check the backing plate and bend it back. Sounds like its rubbing

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
the dust shield on the rotor?

if thats what you mean ill check it, but i dont see how adding wheels would cause any of this. nothing else on the car was touched, and they didnt even do this initially :bash:

pipeliner

Established Member
88sc_gt said:
the dust shield on the rotor?

if thats what you mean ill check it, but i dont see how adding wheels would cause any of this. nothing else on the car was touched, and they didnt even do this initially :bash:

yes the dust shields. And they move very easily. Hell you could problably move them if you stared at them long enough. Alls it takes is a small bump.

Also do you have spacers on?

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
no spacers. this is for the front wheels. just 18x9 saleen rims.

guy suggested at the place who balanced them for me, it was cause of wear and the more open saleen rim is letting sound escape :shrug: im going to take off the wheels and look at them now.

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
well the only rational explination at this point, is the saleen wheels are letting the sound escape that the oem cobra rims blocked.

pulled the wheels, cleaned the mounting surfaces really well, looked at the dust shields, cleaned off rotor surfaces, spin freely, everything is good. put the wheels back on, greased the lugs, everything went smooth, except the damn squeaking.

so i guess im just going to buy some new rotors/pads instead of tint. there is 12430 miles on this stuff, is it about time anyway? i thought brake parts were closer to 25k+ miles. :shrug:

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
good amount of pad left, not down to metal.

i had just planned to get some new rotors (slotted) behind the wheels someday, so i figured if i am replacing one i would do both.

i swear i read somewhere that another person had this identical problem and it was something stupid to fix it. im doing some searches, but it only boils down to rotor/pad contact in the end.

its got to be a slightly warped rotor though it seems, since it makes the noise rolling but goes away when the brake is applied (full contact). since nothing else around it is touching :shrug:

pipeliner

Established Member
88sc_gt said:
good amount of pad left, not down to metal.

i had just planned to get some new rotors (slotted) behind the wheels someday, so i figured if i am replacing one i would do both.

i swear i read somewhere that another person had this identical problem and it was something stupid to fix it. im doing some searches, but it only boils down to rotor/pad contact in the end.

its got to be a slightly warped rotor though it seems, since it makes the noise rolling but goes away when the brake is applied (full contact). since nothing else around it is touching :shrug:

Is the sound intermitent or constant?

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
the sound is consistant squealing, really noticable past 15 mph. continues to increase in noise from there. sound instantly goes away when the brakes are applied.

it has to be a pad/rotor issue. nothing else is related to the issue. im confused :shrug:

edit: ive checked both dust shields, both pads, cleaned/checked both rotors, mounting surfaces on the spindle and wheel, checked for anything lodged, checked lug torque (95 pounds). i cant think of anything else other then to just replace it.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Dry hub bearings? I know they're "perma-packs" ,but under severe conditions can go dry (high heat from braking/autoX).

Otherwise, make sure the wheel isn't hitting the caliper body.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Sqeaking or squealing?
When I first put my Saleens on I had a chirping/sqeaking noise that got faster with more speed. Turned out to be those little ass lock washers that hold the rotors in place when the wheels are off. As soon as I took them off no more noise.

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
i will remove those little washers. i saw those yesterday and thought it might be an issue.

wheel is rubbing nowhere on the caliper body. nothing is binding or making any grinding noises. i pulled both calipers off, pads are in good shape.

i will try to remove those little washer pieces and go from there. thanks.

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
thats what i did sitting in the seat when it stopped making noise lol.

thanks for the tip. i had ruled those out since they were completely flush sitting yesterday. today when i pulled the wheels a few tabs were slightly pulled out. at least it stopped, because i was one step from buying the rotors i had on my fox again for it (s/d brembo's) and pads.
:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread