WTF!? I got walked by a STOCK 350z

BadAzztt

Established Member
I have a 99 cobra convertible with bbk x-pipe, flowmaster exhaust, hypertech power programmer and 4.30 gears and a stock 350z walked me from a roll. The first time we went from third and he got me by about a car length the second we went from second and he jumped out in front and held about a half a car until the end of third. I know these cars are respectable but really expected more from the stang with these mods. I just picked up the car three weeks ago and it was stock then so all mods are new. Is this a usual outcome for a race like this or is my car unusually weak? I know the z comes stock with 287 hp and is lighter than my car but they only run low 14's stock, this is really not that fast. Any suggestions?

tito_146

Established Member
Are you sure the Z was stock? The reason why I asked is because I have shown the rear lights of my stang to more than one Z. I have a completely stock 01. I'm not a good driver either. The best time on the 1/4 I had is 13.9@102. I guess the other drivers were worts than me.

Just my 0.02.

BadAzztt

Established Member
Yeah I'm positive it was stock, the kid works for me and didn't even expect to win he just wanted to see if he could hang with me. We were both suprised with the outcome.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
its not an are you sure its not running right its I know its not running right. Ive shown them the backend of my car many times in the past. I just have intake and exhaust.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
i pull away from them on the initial punch........................ check your plugs, fuel filter, clutch (may have some slippage), and make sure you're running premium 93+ fuel.

BadAzztt

Established Member
The clutch isn't slipping and the fuel filter has just been replaced, I am running premium fuel, I haven't checked my plugs but the car seems to be running fine. I don't know if the outcome would have different running from a standing start but when we were both side by side and hit it his car just jumped out ahead after that there was no pulling, if anything I gained maybe 1/4 of a car back. I have seen these cars run 13.9's in stock form but I figured with my mods I should be running faster than that. I remember a couple of years ago I came accross a 97 cobra at the track with just flowmasters and his best of the day was 13.7. The car feels healthy, no hiccups or surging problems and doesn't seem like it falls on it's face it just didn't have enough to take him. What kind of times should I be able to hit with these mods?

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Check your plugs, maybe it has just fallen off enough over time that you haven't noticed it not running right, gotta be something wrong.

99SVTcobraVERT

no offense bro... but its one of a few things in combo... even a pre fix with those mods would own a 350z...

1. you cant drive
2. #1 and its a pre fix
3. #1,#2,and the car is having issues
4. #1,#2,#3 and the kid is bs'ing you and not stock
4. #1,#2, and his really is stock which is worse than all of above...

Last edited by a moderator:

BadAzztt

Established Member
I am not sure if the car has the "fix" or not I am going to call svt tomorrow and find out, as for NOScobra2001's number system. 1- is not an issue, I have been drag racing for 10 years and most of my freinds get me to drive thier cars at the track just to see what the best times their car can do is, besides not much skill involved from a roll. 2- it might be a pre-fix, don't know, 3- I don't know of any issues with the car, could be but it seems to run fine with no misses or stumbles anywhere in the powerband, 4- kid works for me I have looked under his hood, it is stock, 5- I agree getting beat by a stock 350z sucks a$$.

mk2001c

Established Member
Are you noticing any ping at WOT? I wonder if the Hypertech program is too aggressive your ECU is pulling timing from the knock sensors being activated?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by mk2001c
Are you noticing any ping at WOT? I wonder if the Hypertech program is too aggressive your ECU is pulling timing from the knock sensors being activated?

i'd check that out....too much timing will KILL power on topend....

BadAzztt

Established Member
Second time it was close, between 30-35 and I was in second, so was the z. He jumped out ahead and after that it was pretty even I just couldn't catch him.

tito_146

Established Member
A stock 99/01 with stock 3.27 will achieve 67mph in second gear. So from a roll in second at 35-40 mph you should have being in your power band and pulled that Z. May be he has a chip or somekind of power adder not visible, like cams, chip, etc. Being on the track a couple of times and best times out of a Z that I seing is 14.2. Not that the cars are not capable of more. Just what I have seen. I personaly love the new Z, but love the Cobras a lot more.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
tito_146, a stock 99/01 with stock 3.27s will not achieve 67mph in second gear....... i have stock 3.27s and i achieve 80mph redlining second gear.

Wraith

Established Member
Just a thought. I've heard that even though engines are production line produced (the Z), that some engines just come out healthier than others. I had a friend who had a 97 Firebird RamAir who could spank any other stock 97 RamAir and he had no mods except (from what I understand) Titanium Tranny Gears (which he claims he kept breaking). Maybe he was pulling my leg, but I don't think so. But like I said, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread