WTF Dealer Transfer Fee ???

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
my brother is buying a used f 150 when he gets off shift tomorrow, hes a FF. The deal is just about done. But they are hitting him with a dealer transfer fee of 350.00 on a used truck and thats with his own financing. the dealer told me that fee is added to any vehicle that is financed. But i have never seen that fee on any of the used vehicles i've bought. Is this just a BS Fee? Thanks:beer:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It depends...

If the truck is being Transported via car hauler or tow truck then yes. It also depends on how far it is getting shipped.

Give me more info.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
it's setting on there lot and has been for a few months now. I could see paying a x-fer fee if it was brought in for me, but not for one sitting on there lot.:beer:

JasonSnake

Established Member
holy crap. 10 years ago I bought a 95 GT from a Carmax in NC and had to be transferred to the Carmax here and I never got charged like that!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
If he is getting a spectacular deal I could possibly justify it, but in the end I would walk. If they want to sell it bad enough, they will waive the fee.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
When I bought my explorer in NC there was a $350 fee, but we negotiated the cash price on the phone, so he just put that down as part of the cash price so I still paid the same as I had planned.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
"dealer profit" fee is more like it.. they tried to do that to me in CO.. Told them to shove it up their ass..

tmm47sdad

Established Member
You said he was using his own financing. the dealers get extra money from the bank when you finance with thier banks. so if you pay cash or your own bank the dealers do not get anything extra after the papers are signed. They are probably just trying to make up the difference with this fee. complain about it and find something you want fixed, replaced or looked at on the truck before you buy and this fee may be dropped if you take care of the problem yourself.

oldmodman

Established Member
Same crap here in California.

I told the dealer that fee = no sale and walked out. The sales twerp came running out saying that it was a mistake and there would be no fee. Amazing how many "mistakes" a dealer can make. All in their favor.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It costs money to ship a car from the auction but $350 is a little high. There are also fees for a dealership to buy the car. The buyers fee is usually around $200 and shipping is at least $40. Most dealers include it in the sale price. They are trying to pass the fee onto you. You can try to negotiate the fee but it is up to the manager on duty at the dealership if he is willing to discount it. People think dealerships make toms of money. In most cases they are not. A majority of dealerships are actually losing money these days.

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
I'm an F&I Manager at a BMW dealership. Just ask exactly what the fee is for. It sounds to me like a fee for dealer exchanging a vehicle from one dealership to another and should only be billed to a customer that requested this service. If your bro didn't request this and it was already on their lot, then yes it's BS.

It could be a doc fee for tag and title though. They should make it clear to him what he is pating for and all dealerships have admin fees. Our are $99 plus tax, tag, and title.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
All the "Fees" should be paid out the purchase price, like 99% of the products in the world.
It's different if they had to ship it in just for him, but something that's sitting on the lot...BS.

SVT4ME

Established Member
I'd let my feet do the talking and tell them either dump the fee or I dump them. Most people take it and that's why they keep doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread