WTF, damn freeze plug

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Well I installed the LFP evenflow head cooling mod today and I must say that was a royal PITA. I swear I was on my way to having to pull my head off and get it repaired. I try removing the freeze plug the way the directions said too, but there was no way. I went to there website like the directions said to and read there trouble shooting section and tried that, no way. Needless to say after a broken hammer, two broken drill bits, broken bolts and bent screwdriver and alot of cursing and a 6 pack of beer, I finally got the freeze plug out. The rest was easy but man I wish I had got the LDC head cooling mod, I wonder if the install would have gone smoother:shrug: However, I am still not convinced that 1/8 above the head is acceptable for the new fitting so I used some high temp RTV as well. Anyone else have similar problems?

bigbadwolff66

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your problem getting the Ford Factory freeze out plug removed. I've only had one other person who had that type of difficulty you described, which is why we posted the "lag bolt removal" explanation that is currently on the website.
I believe that Ford's red sealer they use on the freeze out plugs is consistent throughout a given engine on initial assembly. They may have been overzealous on yours. I'm not sure if the freeze out plug that LDC taps into would have any less of the same sealer on it. It is certainly possible that once the trans is removed there may be easier access to that plug, but I have do not have experience with their install.
As far as the depth goes, 1/8" above the head or less is acceptable, using the recommended sealer. Due to the machining on the head, some may get the fitting flush with the head and others fully seat the fitting prior to flush mount.
If you ever have any questions, be sure to contact us and we will try to assist. Another six pack of beer will help the frustration subside, along with the knowledge that the driver's side head will run cooler.

TGO

Established Member
how far into that 6 pack were you before you tried??

i'm all for drinking while working, but i tend to go easy until the jobs almost done!

j/k

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
bigbadwolff66 said:
Sorry to hear about your problem getting the Ford Factory freeze out plug removed. I've only had one other person who had that type of difficulty you described, which is why we posted the "lag bolt removal" explanation that is currently on the website.
I believe that Ford's red sealer they use on the freeze out plugs is consistent throughout a given engine on initial assembly. They may have been overzealous on yours. I'm not sure if the freeze out plug that LDC taps into would have any less of the same sealer on it. It is certainly possible that once the trans is removed there may be easier access to that plug, but I have do not have experience with their install.
As far as the depth goes, 1/8" above the head or less is acceptable, using the recommended sealer. Due to the machining on the head, some may get the fitting flush with the head and others fully seat the fitting prior to flush mount.
If you ever have any questions, be sure to contact us and we will try to assist. Another six pack of beer will help the frustration subside, along with the knowledge that the driver's side head will run cooler.

Thanks for the reply! I just hope I got the fitting in far enough, thats my main concern.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
TGO said:
how far into that 6 pack were you before you tried??

i'm all for drinking while working, but i tend to go easy until the jobs almost done!

j/k

lol, I actually starting drinking after I got the plug out. It was a nessessity at that point, lol.

CWD

Established Member
Did mine this week.

Freeze plug removal was easy. Problem was getting the fitting in even and flush. I too had 1/8th inch out. Used the sealer in directions and no leaks so far! Seems to be a solid connection. There was no way I could have drove that fitting in any further. Left in the freezer for 30 min.! Once sealed has anyone had any problems? Oh definetly not a job to drink on or celebrate till done! LOL!

Bullitt4110

Established Member
AJRED99 said:
Thanks for the reply! I just hope I got the fitting in far enough, thats my main concern.
I have that same concern, I have drove the car a few times snice the install and had it up to temp and it doesnt seem to be leaking. My main concern is next summer in the heat if I do any open track days will it stay in there?

CWD

Established Member
+1!

Bullitt4110 said:
I have that same concern, I have drove the car a few times snice the install and had it up to temp and it doesnt seem to be leaking. My main concern is next summer in the heat if I do any open track days will it stay in there?
Same concern and question.:read:

bigbadwolff66

Established Member
Valid concerns. I'll relate it like this. All the factory freeze out plugs that are installed in these aluminum heads aren't randomly popping out at drag racing/road racing events all over the country, so if we simply view the modification as a stainless steel freeze out plug with a hose barb on it....

BTW, a factory freeze plug has @.100-.150 of sealing area in contact with the cylinder head. Our fitting doubles that sealing area.

Ironhand

Banned
Freeze plugs are pretty easy some say let the engine be warm others say have it perfectly cooled down. One way will work. But a carefully place bit works the best right on that 90..

Users who are viewing this thread