WTB Teksid Tensioner Pivot Bolt

jony51999

Established Member
I’m wondering if anyone has upgraded the timing tensioner pivot bolts from the factory 6mm to the 8 or 9mm and has one of the old ones laying around?

I have a block that has one tensioner pivot stud but the other is missing so I’m hoping to just find the stock one to replace without drilling and tapping the hole out for the larger ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jony51999

Established Member
I’m wondering if anyone has upgraded the timing tensioner pivot bolts from the factory 6mm to the 8 or 9mm and has one of the old ones laying around?

I have a block that has one tensioner pivot stud but the other is missing so I’m hoping to just find the stock one to replace without drilling and tapping the hole out for the larger ones.

Here is a pic of the bolt I’m talking about to clarify. You can see the other one on the right side.

1d936172d95753bca03630e4d7f75e63.jpg

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Why not hit up Cobra engineering get the jib and upgrade the dowels to the 9mm? Make it even stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jony51999

Established Member
Why not hit up Cobra engineering get the jib and upgrade the dowels to the 9mm? Make it even stronger.

I looked into that but after just shelling out for the shortblock I’m trying to keep from spending way more with all the add ons and it’s $200 for the kit and bolts. I’m also not planning to use a 2 step and my cams/springs are stock so the stock one shouldn’t cause any issues.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
I can't believe I just happened to come across your post.....let me share my personal experience over the past 5 months.....

I have a built teksid motor and 5 months ago was at the track. Car Dyno"d 712rwhp and was running 112mph in the 1/8th. All was great until the last pass of the day.....something went POP on the last launch of the day and the mother started making a terrible noise. Found metal in the pan and pulled the motor and tore it down.

That tensioner pivot bolt BROKE! I ended up rebuilding the entire motor and upgraded to billet tensioner so and upgraded bolts. All in, it cost several thousand dollars......all caused by that one bolt.

My recommendation is upgrade the bolts now. It could save you thousands!

P.S......the MMR billet tensioners work!! They are reported to hold timing more steady up top and pick up 4-5mph at the track. Well I haven't been back to the track yet but I did re-Dyno the car with the fresh motor on the same Dyno on an even hotter day. Changing nothing else but the tensioners, rings and bearings, the car now makes 742 rwhp, 802 rwtq. Makes 30 more hp in worse conditions. I was very impressed.

jony51999

Established Member
I can't believe I just happened to come across your post.....let me share my personal experience over the past 5 months.....

I have a built teksid motor and 5 months ago was at the track. Car Dyno"d 712rwhp and was running 112mph in the 1/8th. All was great until the last pass of the day.....something went POP on the last launch of the day and the mother started making a terrible noise. Found metal in the pan and pulled the motor and tore it down.

That tensioner pivot bolt BROKE! I ended up rebuilding the entire motor and upgraded to billet tensioner so and upgraded bolts. All in, it cost several thousand dollars......all caused by that one bolt.

P.S......the MMR billet tensioners work!! They are reported to hold timing more steady up top and pick up 4-5mph at the track. Well I haven't been back to the track yet but I did re-Dyno the car with the fresh motor on the same Dyno on an even hotter day. Changing nothing else but the tensioners, rings and bearings, the car now makes 742 rwhp, 802 rwtq. Makes 30 more hp in worse conditions. I was very impressed.

Wow that’s one hell of a shitty outcome from a stupid little bolt. Do you have a 2 step or have bigger cams/valve springs?

From everything I’ve read the only issue with those stock bolts comes into play if one of the above are in the build.

Of course that being said $200 is cheap insurance against a couple thousand....

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member

That’s really fn impressive but an expensive way to find out that it actually does net you some power. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread