WTB - Reliable, Safe Vehicle for College-Aged Daughter - Around $5K - Southern CA

Brute

Established Member
Hello, All. For those Dads like me, you likely know what I am looking to buy. I have a daughter who attends school around 700 miles from home, and I would like her to have a safe, reliable car or truck. I will be having a deal with her that I will pay 1/2 the cost of the vehicle (which lowers the price tag consequently, given the budget of a student), so that she learns to earn things and take care of them. At the same time, I don't want her to be broken down on the side of the road or have nightmare mechanical problems.

She drives a truck well, and prefers automatic, but wants to learn to drive a manual transmission better. (She has a familiarity with manual transmissions). So, I don't think that the nature of the transmission is material.

Any ideas, leads or recommendations?

Thank you.

96MysticWick

Established Member
I have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse which I bought last march with 70k miles on it from its original owner. I've put 40k miles on it since w/o a single mechanical problem other than needing to replace a worn down power steering belt. I've done regular mobil 1 oil changes every 3k miles. The car has cosmetic damage on the rear bumper and as I live in downtown sd i have tiny cosmetic dents here and there from other parallel parkers. In a nutshell its a car with a tough motor that can handle long distance trips and just about anything. The shocks are a little worn however. its a 5 speed. 3k is the price. lmk if youre interested and ill send pics

nanastymach1

Established Member
I have 03 passatt 177k miles auto fully loaded with leather,heated seats,cold ac,sunroof,great shape with new timing belt,water pump and thermostat for 3500$ pm me if interested

16yroldcobraboy

Established Member
I have a 2010 ford focus, 78k miles on it. SES, doesn't have a sunroof but everything else that im looking to get rid of, although im wanting a bit more then 5:(

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Get her a civic. I bought in new in '07 and have 150k miles on it and all I've ever done is fluid changes, tires, and brakes. $40 will fill up the tank too. I love my civic.

HIonPSI

Established Member
Get her a clean 2000-2003 Maxima (or Infiniti I30/I35). It checks all your requirements: reliable as hell, good MPGs, safe, perfect size, manual trans available on the Maxima. If you can find a clean low-er mileage one without rust, you will both be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread