WTB: MGW Gen2 2014 GT500

chas8180

Established Member
Started installing a new clutch and decided since I'm already into it and its such a pain in the ass that I should do the shifter as well before I put it back together, need to have one in the next few days cause it has to go back together by next weekend. Hopefully MGW has one in stock ready to go, wont know till Monday, so I'm hedging my bet to see if theres one available on here first.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey man, good luck.
Going to Milan 10/21 so get it ready haha.
Honestly though, definitely go with the MGW it's badass.
-J

chas8180

Established Member
Hey man, good luck.
Going to Milan 10/21 so get it ready haha.
Honestly though, definitely go with the MGW it's badass.
-J
Haha! I went to US131 last weekend and didnt even get a full pass, first holeshot killed my clutch, pulled a 1.82 short time with it slipping and hit second gear and smoked it! Thought I was spinning the tires till I smelled it! Lol!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Haha! I went to US131 last weekend and didnt even get a full pass, first holeshot killed my clutch, pulled a 1.82 short time with it slipping and hit second gear and smoked it! Thought I was spinning the tires till I smelled it! Lol!
What rear gears you running?
-J

chas8180

Established Member
What rear gears you running?
-J
The stock 3.31's. I know it needs 3.73's at the least but more likely 4.10's. I'm not turning it into a drag racer, I was just playing around and having a little fun, I might only go to the track once or twice a year.
I'm still looking for a shifter, nobody stocks these it seems, looks like its going to take at least a week or so at best so it may be going back together without it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Revan Racing makes a bushing kit to make the stock shifter much better. He will get them to you if in stock. Search threads by Tob here for that.
I never hated the stock shifter, until I drove an MGW.
No offense on the gears, but had you swapped them you'd have a faster more enjoyable car with a working clutch.
I have my stock clutch that looks brand new.
Only went to track once on with 3.31s and it had STOCK tires.
You try to race these cars with stock gears and a sticky tire at a track, buy the clutch first.
Swap gears and the clutch may live a long life.
-J

chas8180

Established Member
I agree and I may still end up getting some 3.73's over winter. I'm running a 28" drag radial now and would like to try the M/T SS and its almost 29" so 3.73's would suit it well.
Thats amazing that your stock clutch is still holding at your power level, a testament to having the right setup!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Since I've redone the motor, I have swapped to a Magnum XL trans and Spec clutch.
I had more reservation on swapping those than the power mods because how nice the stock trans/clutch/shifter worked. I swapped to keep the stock trans ratios but gain SFI bell and direct mount shifter only.
I had 10 or so 10s passes on the stock clutch with about 750rwhp and 4.10s on both 20" Nittos and 18" M&H DRs and was expecting the clutch to look rough but I'm keeping it as it looks new and never gave me an issue.
Guys have hurt aftermarket clutches with sticky tires/sticky track and 3.31s.
There's always a fuse, the clutch is just an expensive fuse choice.
If you're going to run the 29" MT, which I recommend, and you plan to keep under 800rwhp, you'll do better with 4.10s.
Even just for occasional strip fun, the 4.10s are the best choice as it's 80mph at 2000rpm with a 29" tire.
Don't fear the gear.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread